Jump to content
LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Robot Monkey

3D Printers

Recommended Posts

I know dogbert is using a 3D printer for making boardgame bits.

 

What else are people using 3D printers for?

 

Also: Worst thing about a 3D printer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Anycubic I3 Mega. Chose that model for positive reviews, relatively big build area, and the fact that it shipped mostly built - two pieces basically instead of having to build out the frame myself. 

 

The thing I've printed most of is flexi-rexes for my son to give out to buddies/classmates at school. The most practical? It's a minor thing but two battery holders (AA + AAA) are utterly functional + space saving. Mostly it gets used for boardgame organisation "stuff" so far. 

 

The biggest downside is these things are not plug + play. They require maintenance, they require you to level the bed, they sometimes jam. I spent last Saturday diagnosing a feeding issue that involved stripping down the hot end (the part that melts the plastic) and eventually the feeder (the wheel that feeds the filament up to the hot end) to find a couple of rogue fragments that were preventing the feeder from working. 

I'm utterly happy with mine regardless. Totally a want/toy, but it's been fun, and the kids like to see designs come to life. Printing flexi-rexes in heat responding colour changing filament? Fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dogbert said:

The thing I've printed most of is flexi-rexes for my son to give out to buddies/classmates at school.

 

Had to look up what this was. They look like a neat toy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Graeme said:

 

Had to look up what this was. They look like a neat toy. 

 

Duh yeah, sorry. Of course not everyone is familiar with them, sorry. They're a piece of 3d printing design awesomeness - multiple hinges in a single print without any manual steps to put them together. It's a way cool design. Kids love 'em :) We made a bunch of "sir flexi" with a top hat, and a few with a keychain loop, and a few dolphins with similar hinges. So "touchable" & playable. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dogbert said:

 

Duh yeah, sorry. Of course not everyone is familiar with them, sorry. They're a piece of 3d printing design awesomeness - multiple hinges in a single print without any manual steps to put them together. It's a way cool design. Kids love 'em :) We made a bunch of "sir flexi" with a top hat, and a few with a keychain loop, and a few dolphins with similar hinges. So "touchable" & playable. 

 

 

 

Those are super cool! Thanks for sharing; I'd not seen them before. I might have to get a printer now; I've got two nephews who would dig those 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, thanks to Brian (and Jay for bringing up the subject), I just placed an order for a CR-10s on Prime Day. They had it for $455 and then there was a $35 coupon with free shipping and no tax. Couldn't resist :)

 

I'm off next week (although out of town Wed-Sat), so I'll have the weekend plus Monday and Tuesday to mess around with this.

 

Let me know if you see any good Prime Day deals on PLA :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, jubjub75 said:

Well, thanks to Brian (and Jay for bringing up the subject), I just placed an order for a CR-10s on Prime Day. They had it for $455 and then there was a $35 coupon with free shipping and no tax. Couldn't resist :)

 

I'm off next week (although out of town Wed-Sat), so I'll have the weekend plus Monday and Tuesday to mess around with this.

 

Let me know if you see any good Prime Day deals on PLA :)

 

Well once everyone gets these running I can give some $$ to have someone print some minis off heroforge.com :) One day I will get one of these, as there are many things I would like to print for gaming use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JoeyN said:

 

Well once everyone gets these running I can give some $$ to have someone print some minis off heroforge.com :) One day I will get one of these, as there are many things I would like to print for gaming use.

 

High definition minis are hard to print well with the typical 3d printer - resin printers are far better for that, but are messier, stinkier, & more toxic. 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogbert said:

 

High definition minis are hard to print well with the typical 3d printer - resin printers are far better for that, but are messier, stinkier, & more toxic. 😕 

 

Yep.

 

The site does make minis also with different materials depending on how much you want to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thing to note for people getting into this. Humidity wrecks filament - if you live in a humid area (e.g. Texas in summer...) you're going to want some sort of plastic storage tub that you can seal & throw a dehumidifier of some sort into. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll, I got the CR-10s assembled yesterday and did a test print with an included model of a lion...turned out pretty well considering I've done no tuning yet:

 

I'm printing a flexi shark right now. I'm watching it happen and I'm still convinced that it's at least partly black magic.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this pandemic has me looking into all sorts of ridiculous things, and getting a 3d printer is one of them.  Any insight into what I should be looking for?  I was checking out the anycubic ones, but something like this (https://www.amazon.ca/ANYCUBIC-Leveling-Extruder-400x400x450mm-Filament/dp/B07FVT8SMM/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=3d+printer+anycubic&qid=1588614264&sr=8-6) seems pricey.  Still, that's got a really big build area...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

So this pandemic has me looking into all sorts of ridiculous things, and getting a 3d printer is one of them.  Any insight into what I should be looking for?  I was checking out the anycubic ones, but something like this (https://www.amazon.ca/ANYCUBIC-Leveling-Extruder-400x400x450mm-Filament/dp/B07FVT8SMM/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=3d+printer+anycubic&qid=1588614264&sr=8-6) seems pricey.  Still, that's got a really big build area...

 

How technical are you for putting one together + general upkeep/troubleshooting? These are still not print + play a lot of the time. I'm utterly happy with mine for what I do with it, but I'm not printing out high detail models and haven't really bothered to dial it in bar leveling ;) 

 

Someone at work posted a good overview in our 3d printing slack channel, I'll grab it & report it tomorrow. I have the Anycubic Mega, which has a smaller bed (but the same fancy glass beaded one, which I love), and am happy with my choice a year on, but I know there are other models that have a lot of fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably OK to assemble/maintain one as long as there's resources online.  It can't be as hard as repairing pinball machines, right?  :)

 

What level of detail can you generally expect to get off a consumer-grade printer these days?  For example, if I wanted to print new minis for Gloomhaven, could you get close to the ones that come with the game?  I've seen some cool terrain prints that people have done for it, and I really like the idea of being able to print inserts/organizers.  What about sanding/painting 3d printed parts?  Any experience with that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh shoot I forgot about pinball, yeah you're likely good :) 

 

So level of detail for minis... that's where it gets complicated. For super high details minis you need resin, which is messy, stinky + toxic, but gives fantastic control over fine detail. But your size is smaller + you're basically giving up the ability to print out large inserts or the rigidity of PLA. For inserts, you're going to want PLA, but you'll never get the fine detail for minis (IMO...). 

The random thoughts about printers from work conv: 

That's kind of the point of the non-kit models.  You are buying something that works as a unit with no fuss, complete out of box experience with no tinkering.  Plug and play.The kits, there's an expected amount of mechanical and assembly knowledge that the kit makers are expecting.  Some require little knowledge, some require more.The closer to a plug-and-play experience you get, you should be expecting to both pay more and get less build volume out of it.
I've spent ~2k on my CoreXY 300x300x500mm printer over the past couple years.  I also bought a Prusa i3 MK3s kit in 2018 for ~$700.  You can also get that assembled for ~$900.  Prusa's smaller (Mini) is ~$250 for a 200x200x180mm build volume, iirc.  But that's only available as a semi-assembled SKU. (edited) 3:54
But if you want barebones cartesian (Ender, Creality, Anycubic, etc), for cheap, you're going to pay for it in upkeep and maintenance, more so than the more spendy ones (like Prusa's cartesian and other proprietary plug-and-play printers)It's very much like building a PC.  You can build it yourself, you can get a whitebox from the PC shop down the road, or you can get a Dell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting-I don't mind a kit, and if it's closer in scope to a PC build, then that's pretty straightforward.  I'm not great at soldering stuff to boards, but other than that I think I can handle at least some basic maintenance/tweaking, but I can see that being a challenge for the kids.  I could see my daughter getting into making stuff with one of these. 

 

As for finishing stuff, I've seen a couple of writeups that talk about using something like this (https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/xtc-3d/) to fill in prints, and the results look promising if you're looking to create something that smoother/more finished.  You could probably also use paint/colour to make up for any deficiencies in geometry if that's an issue, and from the looks of things you can get at least a little smoothing out of a good sand. 

 

That being said, you're still not at the point where you can 3d print a pinball ramp (although now that I think about it, I wonder about replacement boulders for my whitewater...)

 

Hmm-need to do some more research on materials and features....  Maybe the "sane" answer is a cheaper unit to start with to experiment? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.cf85547a09aee5a88e5990025dc78339.png

 

The Anycubic website lists wood as a print material. How does that work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Camp said:

image.png.cf85547a09aee5a88e5990025dc78339.png

 

The Anycubic website lists wood as a print material. How does that work?


I'm presuming they mean "wood PLA", which is PLA with wood dust scattered through it. Haven't used it personally. Here's an example of Amazon.

pagik3u9g2zz.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Camp said:

That makes a lot more sense. Nice example too.

 

I think there's a law somewhere that everyone who tries wood PLA prints a Groot first, going by Thingiverse :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...