LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Robot Monkey

3D Printers

I know dogbert is using a 3D printer for making boardgame bits.

What else are people using 3D printers for?

Also: Worst thing about a 3D printer?

I used a 3D printer to print a 3D printer.  Then I took the 3D printer back.  Is this stealing?

Carlos. 

• Haha 2

I have an Anycubic I3 Mega. Chose that model for positive reviews, relatively big build area, and the fact that it shipped mostly built - two pieces basically instead of having to build out the frame myself. 

The thing I've printed most of is flexi-rexes for my son to give out to buddies/classmates at school. The most practical? It's a minor thing but two battery holders (AA + AAA) are utterly functional + space saving. Mostly it gets used for boardgame organisation "stuff" so far. 

The biggest downside is these things are not plug + play. They require maintenance, they require you to level the bed, they sometimes jam. I spent last Saturday diagnosing a feeding issue that involved stripping down the hot end (the part that melts the plastic) and eventually the feeder (the wheel that feeds the filament up to the hot end) to find a couple of rogue fragments that were preventing the feeder from working. 

I'm utterly happy with mine regardless. Totally a want/toy, but it's been fun, and the kids like to see designs come to life. Printing flexi-rexes in heat responding colour changing filament? Fun!

4 hours ago, dogbert said:

The thing I've printed most of is flexi-rexes for my son to give out to buddies/classmates at school.

Had to look up what this was. They look like a neat toy. 

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

Had to look up what this was. They look like a neat toy. 

Duh yeah, sorry. Of course not everyone is familiar with them, sorry. They're a piece of 3d printing design awesomeness - multiple hinges in a single print without any manual steps to put them together. It's a way cool design. Kids love 'em :) We made a bunch of "sir flexi" with a top hat, and a few with a keychain loop, and a few dolphins with similar hinges. So "touchable" & playable. 

10 hours ago, dogbert said:

Duh yeah, sorry. Of course not everyone is familiar with them, sorry. They're a piece of 3d printing design awesomeness - multiple hinges in a single print without any manual steps to put them together. It's a way cool design. Kids love 'em :) We made a bunch of "sir flexi" with a top hat, and a few with a keychain loop, and a few dolphins with similar hinges. So "touchable" & playable. 

Those are super cool! Thanks for sharing; I'd not seen them before. I might have to get a printer now; I've got two nephews who would dig those 😀

Well, thanks to Brian (and Jay for bringing up the subject), I just placed an order for a CR-10s on Prime Day. They had it for $455 and then there was a $35 coupon with free shipping and no tax. Couldn't resist :)

I'm off next week (although out of town Wed-Sat), so I'll have the weekend plus Monday and Tuesday to mess around with this.

Let me know if you see any good Prime Day deals on PLA :)

On 7/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, jubjub75 said:

Well, thanks to Brian (and Jay for bringing up the subject), I just placed an order for a CR-10s on Prime Day. They had it for $455 and then there was a $35 coupon with free shipping and no tax. Couldn't resist :)

I'm off next week (although out of town Wed-Sat), so I'll have the weekend plus Monday and Tuesday to mess around with this.

Let me know if you see any good Prime Day deals on PLA :)

Well once everyone gets these running I can give some $$ to have someone print some minis off heroforge.com :) One day I will get one of these, as there are many things I would like to print for gaming use.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Well once everyone gets these running I can give some $$ to have someone print some minis off heroforge.com :) One day I will get one of these, as there are many things I would like to print for gaming use.

High definition minis are hard to print well with the typical 3d printer - resin printers are far better for that, but are messier, stinkier, & more toxic. 😕 

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

High definition minis are hard to print well with the typical 3d printer - resin printers are far better for that, but are messier, stinkier, & more toxic. 😕 

Yep.

The site does make minis also with different materials depending on how much you want to spend.

One more thing to note for people getting into this. Humidity wrecks filament - if you live in a humid area (e.g. Texas in summer...) you're going to want some sort of plastic storage tub that you can seal & throw a dehumidifier of some sort into. 

• Like 1

We'll, I got the CR-10s assembled yesterday and did a test print with an included model of a lion...turned out pretty well considering I've done no tuning yet:

I'm printing a flexi shark right now. I'm watching it happen and I'm still convinced that it's at least partly black magic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1