LCVG

10 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

For boardgame inserts, is there a good resource that lists which ones are any good?  

Thingiverse is abysmal for finding things these days. For inserts, there's a curated list on BGG that I like, along with a webpage that will search your collection listed on BGG for matching entries in the list. Obviously, it's dependent on people posting on the geeklist, but it's a good starting point. Often I'll find something I like + then search for the designer's other creations on Thingiverse too. 

The big list and the collection search list.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A new Nintendo Switch Lite for the kids demands a suitable place to put it in a common area, so they can't sneak it into their bedrooms at night. Behold, Metal Mario! 

So when I showed the kids thingiverse, and asked if there was anything they wanted to print, I thought my son would want a Master Sword.  He's been obsessed with Zelda for a while, and there are some

The big ass enclosure definitely adds bulk, but yeah, it's a pretty big print area: This should give you an idea of the overall size:   Tried the obligatory "plastic crap th

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Thingiverse is abysmal for finding things these days. For inserts, there's a curated list on BGG that I like, along with a webpage that will search your collection listed on BGG for matching entries in the list. Obviously, it's dependent on people posting on the geeklist, but it's a good starting point. Often I'll find something I like + then search for the designer's other creations on Thingiverse too. 

Thanks!  I'll have to spend some time with that.  Also means updating my account on BGG with an up to date collection for easier search I suppose.  I ordered some of those magnets to try making at least a set of resource card trays, and I have an idea for a score tracker that does something similar to replace the piece of paper with old Trivial Pursuit pies that we're using now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Next project-I got our daughter to play Catan, so naturally I needed to make a game organizer.  All the designs on the thingiverse were for the newer edition though, and since I wasn't sure the box was the same size, I designed my own:

20210320_182800.thumb.jpg.cbf4856dab9ef4fadc36caaf3dd2f67a.jpg

20210320_182805.thumb.jpg.b1cba2a06a9c98bab8b19a64d31d3904.jpg

I found something similar on thingiverse for the player boxes, and liked the basic design, but I created my own version with rounded corners on the inside of the bases, and an indentation in the front to make getting the lid out easier.  Big enough to fix extra pieces for expansions too:

20210320_182827.thumb.jpg.4c3da328966a0e43482c135b994aa1ff.jpg

Hex and tile storage.  The extra compartments on the one with the water tiles were an idea, but ended up too small for dice (robber fits though):

20210320_182843.thumb.jpg.0bc8105b5351b308e0e7bc0a109a3640.jpg

The resource trays were printed as-is from thingiverse.  They have small magnets in them, so they stay together, and will lock 1x6 or 3x3.  I still need to make a couple extra for C&K commodities, but these work well.  Retrospect I should have made them 2mm shorter so I could get 3 layers in the box, but I'm not reprinting them all just for that. 

Last bit is a score tracker I put together.  Big enough for 6p games, or 4p with a C&K tracker for active cities/knights. 

20210320_182950.thumb.jpg.597dc58e87bb1379f1cddee58e0a5081.jpg

Overall, a fun project.  I'm getting better with Fusion360 in doing all of this.

20210320_182813.jpg

20210320_182901.jpg

Slightly less impressive than the sword, but arguably more useful.  I wanted to be able to use my dyson attachments with the shop vac for cleaning CNC dust off things, so I made an adapter:

20210405_083556.thumb.jpg.029a2c93ce18618952bc5ac2c00e9257.jpg

Also made one to reduce the outlet on the table saw to the shop vac hose diameter:

20210403_215826.thumb.jpg.f74c4fa40075614556811fc2180e549f.jpg

This was also my first time trying to print with ABS, and while I managed to get the bed adhesion to work with some painters tape/glue stick, the print layers didn't stick as well as they should have and started peeling/breaking, almost like they're not sticking to each other well enough.  I printed with the nozzle at 235 and bed at 80 (with an enclosure), but maybe that's not enough, and the layers are still cooling too fast?  Anyway, something to experiment with a little more.  It's still neat to be able to make something useful like this in an afternoon. 

That looks awesome!  It looks like it's splicing/melting the filament together for a single stream.  Not sure how that would work multi-material though.  I'm guessing this basically takes over the printer (control over USB/Serial), so it might not play nicely with things like Octoprint.  Still, this is insanely cool-I know Snapmaker is planning a dual extruder module at some point, but that will probably run at least $200.  You can also do multi-color by manually clipping filament, but that's limited to specific layers.  I wonder if they have any deals for locals (They're in Toronto)?

So in that video, they talk about a "transition tower", which I thought was just a test piece, but no, every print you do with this thing creates a separate waste piece that they use to flush colours.  You can see it in this picture from their website:

image.thumb.png.1365fd49cf9fa091e3e0b512ec96592e.png

Presumably this is similar to infill, so not THAT much plastic, but more than zero, and even changing at fixed layers (will mean that you'll have to build up the transition tower that whole time.  Seems like it'd add maybe 20% to a print?