LCVG

Blazing Chrome - Contra but not... (PC, Xbox, Switch, PS4)

Romier S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked up the Collectors Edition on LRG:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/limited-run-296-blazing-chrome-collectors-edition

PS4_MockUp_CE_Banner_BlazingChrome.png?v

Happy to get a copy as it sold it in less than 2 minutes when it went live at 10am. Another batch goes live at 6pm EST if you're interested. The standard versions are still available.

When ever I see a retro-styled game like this it just makes me wonder what the game could have been if instead of retro stylings they chose the Ori series route, where they apply retro 2d game concepts to modern technology and artwork.  Ori is the pinacle of what I want from a 2D game in the modern era.

Sounds like this is a fun game.  And I recognize that Ori probably takes a lot more time and money to produce.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

When ever I see a retro-styled game like this it just makes me wonder what the game could have been if instead of retro stylings they chose the Ori series route, where they apply retro 2d game concepts to modern technology and artwork.  Ori is the pinacle of what I want from a 2D game in the modern era.

Sounds like this is a fun game.  And I recognize that Ori probably takes a lot more time and money to produce.

Using a 2D style akin to Ori betrays the very point of the game, though. Which is to appeal to the nostalgia of classic Contra/Metal Slug fans and recreate a game that could have been released in the 90's on original hardware. In this case, the Mega Drive/Genesis. Hell, early prototypes of this game literally started by reusing original pixel art from Contra III and Contra Hard Corps. That's the level of slavish devotion they had to the series.

So the indie market is indeed flush with pixel art titles that attempt the same thing but what separate Blazing Chrome is that it succeeds in just about every facet in capturing the look and gameplay of this type of game. You could literally slap the Contra name on it as an official sequel and it would work. There's enough modern frills (high resolution, super scaler style levels and effects, etc.) but it never veers from what it wants to be.

I think "in the modern era" is the problem with your statement. You either want this type of classic shooter experience or you want something "in the modern era". Or you're good with both different types of experiences. I personally am not interested in this having an Ori style 2D game here. I like Ori. I also rather love the Contra/Metal Slug series so a game in that ilk with visuals that convincingly relay that 90's era is /exactly/ what the doctor ordered.

Interestingly, if you want a game more in line with Ori visually and even with a more "modern" feel you should try "Hard Corps Uprising" which released on the PS3/X360 last generation and was a follow-up to Contra Hard Corps and a prequel to the original Contra series.