LCVG

Stupid coffee question:

adamsappel

This is a dumb question, I know, but I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere. I'm having some trouble brewing coffee. I have a recipe for a special coffee-maker that calls for one pound of coffee. The trouble is, coffee isn't sold by the pound anymore, at least not in cans. (This appears to be a subtle form of inflation I don't see mentioned. We're paying a higher price for a product that is packaged in the same-sized can it's always been, but the amount inside has decreased. I have several cans, each the same size, and they have different amounts on the label.) I know that a pound of dry weight isn't the same as two measured cups, so how many measured cups of dry coffee are equal to a pound?

Thanks, if anyone can help. If not, I plan to grind a half-pound of coffee at the supermarket and use that amount as a measuring cup in the future.

I did just find a reference on the Internet to a pound of regular-grind coffee being the same as five measured cups, but that seemed way too much to me. However, I have measured out two cups and it does fill a twelve-ounce can pretty much halfway, so maybe that is right. Can anyone confirm?

It sounds like your trying to measure a solid using a liquid measuring device. :shock: You could fill your 12oz soda can with gold and it would weigh a lot more then a pound.

I have no idea what the answer to your original question is, just be careful not to confuse a FL. OZ. with an OZ. ;)

Originally posted by Baiter@Jan 4 2004, 10:50 PM

It sounds like your trying to measure a solid using a liquid measuring device.

Exactly. Since I don't have a small scale (haven't had one since college when I used to, ahem, mail a lot of letters), I need to know how many dry, measured cups of ground coffee are in a pound-weight. The only reference I could find said "five."