LCVG

Recruitment Agencies

Camp

It's time to move on from my current gig and find something new. The business hasn't made money in years and, despite my efforts, the changes needed to reverse that aren't happening. At least not at the pace and with the leadership needed. I love the core job (Ops Director for a high-end sports training company) but I'm just burnt out on seeing the same mistakes ruin good people over and over.

I've been doing the standard "apply to everything possible in the hope that something results in a face-to-face". So far, that approach has been nothing but a waste of my time. I'm considering approaching a recruitment agency. My hope is a professional will help me refine and focus my efforts to target opportunities where I will get the most likely bang for my buck.

I haven't used a headhunter in the past and wanted to reach out to the group here to get any tips, advice, or experience.

I would need an agency who gets paid by the employer instead of me laying out funds. There seems to be a ton of scammy-type people operating in this sector so avoiding that stuff would be a priority .

It's funny, as I typed this post I was thinking that asking this sort of "life question" used to be something we take to elders in our family. But  most of us at LCVG kind of grew up into real functioning adults together in a unique way. Both my parents have passed and I hit 48 years old this year so I should kind of have my shit together at this point. I consistently feel far from that but suspect a lot of us are in the same boaty McBoat-face. So, where do we go? Reddit (oh, hell no)...we have the benefit of going to LCVG where a small group has sustained over all these years. Pretty cool. 

I’ve used head hunters a few times in the past but, it’s been a couple years now for me and as you already pointed out - you need to make sure they are reputable or from a reputable recruitment agency. And I agree with making sure that the employer pays the fee rather than a charge to you direct or a percentage of your signing bonus or anything. The last few years the headhunters I’ve spoken with in the tech sector were hired direct by the company themselves (Facebook, Amazon, etc) so you might see if there are some linked to specific organizations you are interested in and go from there. 

I talked to 2 recruiters last year.

The first one asked me to stop by and chat. We talked about my skills and what's important to me for maybe an hour.

The second one asked me to Skype. We talked about my skills and what's important to me for maybe a half hour.

The first one called back and proposed a type of job we never discussed, but said "I think there might be a good fit here." After I interviewed there I called him and told him I loved the people and the job. He said that's funny they just called me and said they want to make an offer, but please trust me and let me negotiate for more. About a week later I had an offer with a significant bump in salary. It's where I work now and I love it.

Hilariously, the second firm still occasionally emails me generic job search tips. Obviously, the second firm are in the category of time wasters. Except that I put in maybe a half-hour with them on skype?

If I could give people advice it would be to talk to as many recruiters as you can -- as long as you aren't paying someone or giving exclusivity, what's the downside? You lose a tiny bit of time. I wouldn't say this to just anyone, but knowing what little I do of you, Camp, I'd think you're too perceptive to fall for the other potential downside, the scam artist.