LCVG

The Matrix Resurrections

Both Wachowski’s have transitioned at this point with Lily/Andy having done so more recently. Curious why the duo are not directing together. They’ve been badly in need of a theatrical hit for years now. Unfairly in my opinion. Jupiter Ascending was a mess but Cloud Atlas is a bit of a flawed masterpiece, IMO. I enjoyed it immensely.

I genuinely enjoyed revisiting all three Matrix films when they hit UHD last year, despite the sequel problems. Cant say I was ever desperate for another one of course, but Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss being on board has me curious. 

I would be enormously upset if Don Davis doesn’t do the score though as that would be the one thing we could at least expect to be great.

https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com

Trailer goes online on Thursday. Click the pills on the website for some teases though. You'll get something different depending on which you choose. I must say it looks gorgeous (John Toll is the cinematographer).

It was recently revealed that Tom Tykwer will be scoring the film. I'm sad that it's not Don Davis, but the longer time went on the more it seemed increasingly unlikely they could ever convince him to come back and do it (if they even wanted him to). Of all the other past Wachowski composer collaborators they might have chosen I'm actually glad it's Tykwer as I love the Cloud Atlas score.

I'll be curious to know if they make any callbacks to Davis' themes. The score over the logo openings always make me smile.

I’m super excited and at no point was it agreed upon that the sequels were all hated. Reloaded is every bit as good as the original in my estimation. The third movie has issues and doesn’t entirely land but I don’t entirely hate it and it was good to revisit. 

That trailer looks fucking /great/.

I never hated the sequels. I had issues with them certainly. Reloaded I actually think is a great bridge in the series, expanding the lore of its universe nicely and capping it with that breathtaking car chase. Revolutions, and how it regularly abandons character development in favour of its set pieces (it frustrated me how Morpheus was barely a presence in the story) was the bigger letdown, though revisiting all three when the 4k discs came out was nevertheless extremely enjoyable and I was pleased how much I was actually enjoying the third film years later, freed from lofty expectations I put upon it on release. The music to all three films is just utterly sublime too. Three of the most sophisticated scores for any film series, criminally overlooked by virtue of the sequels never being held in high regard as films. I'm looking forward to watching them all again ahead of Resurrections. The series is bursting with so many wild and brilliant ideas. 

So yes, I am absolutely excited for this as the trailer not only left me eager to know just what the hell is going on in this film, but it also doesn't seem to be letting go of its characters in favour of spectacle (which it also clearly has in abundance) which is the most exciting thing. Plus the trailer made me not hate that fucking Jefferson Airplane song, and it ends with a musical tease that they might indeed be looking to reference some Don Davis themes in the score even without him returning (given that they're still willing to associate the main theme with the series for marketing purposes. It bodes well).  

They kinda shot themselves in the foot with the ending of the first Matrix...it was hard to top that ending.

But I still enjoyed Reloaded but I did hate that dumb cliffhanger at the end - I remember that very clearly in the theatre... everybody was like "Da fak? they ended it there?" That could have been handled more gracefully I suppose.

Revolutions was disappointing to me, because we didn't really get satisfying answers to everything we got exposed to in Reloaded.

Also the whole I have powers outside the matrix too.... kinda lost me to be honest. They went full hard-on with the jesus theme and that frankly turned me off the movie too. I was just as disappointing in the last Mr Robot episode BTW :) It's a good popcorn movie but I totally get the backlash against it.

I like this trailer - it does what I think any trailer should do, get you intrigued about exactly what this is... instead of giving the whole thing away. Oddly, I'm not excited about it? Intrigued for sure.. not excited, but that's ok - I think it's better this way :)

Re: Jefferson Airplane, it's a good song. It is, honest. It's just that after both The Game and Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas used it in quick succession back there, every subsequent appearance on a soundtrack feels horribly cliché "ooh, drugs bad, right?" stuff. With Alice and her pills actually having thematic resonance here it's a lot more allowed.

10 minutes ago, iainl said:

Re: Jefferson Airplane, it's a good song. It is, honest. It's just that after both The Game and Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas used it in quick succession back there, every subsequent appearance on a soundtrack feels horribly cliché "ooh, drugs bad, right?" stuff. With Alice and her pills actually having thematic resonance here it's a lot more allowed.

That's precisely it, yes. It's not so much the song, but the decades of lazy music editors reaching for it as their go to "druuuuugs" song of choice in media, that's made me come to hate it over time to the point where it just makes me cringe whenever I now here it. Here, I agree it works... just don't put it in the movie too.  

I was watching that yesterday and it's very informative (about the process that lead to the movie and its development, not about the movie itself). If the trailer didn't already suggest as much in its own right, that panel interview made it even more evident to me that if you responded favourably to Cloud Atlas and Sense8 then chances are Resurrections is going to hit a lot of the same buttons. That might not please some Matrix fans quite so much, but I'm all for it. 

Tykwer had some encouraging things to say about the music there too, suggesting that he will indeed respect Davis' contribution but also go off in a completely different direction which is precisely what I'd hope for. I don't know if Tykwer was responsible for the variation on the theme at the end of the trailer (he talks about having written the score, or at least a large portion of it, before the cameras even rolled). Whoever was responsible cared enough to respect the tradition that it's always been in a different key for each film though.