LCVG

Super Nintendo games coming to Switch Online September 5th

Romier S

Would be nice if we get more than two games a month going forward but we’ll see. 

Hope Disney and Nintendo are smart enough to drop Super Star Wars, Empire and Jedi in December.

Super Bomberman would be very welcome with online play. 

I wonder if Capcom Aladdin could make it onto the app too since it's not on the forthcoming Aladdin/Lion King bundle.

I'm playing the shit out of Yoshi's Island tomorrow night. I've been waiting patiently for it to come to the Virtual Console for years now to no avail. Finally, I will have it again and can play it on a modern console. 

I agree, that starting lineup looks pretty good. I think SNES games are much higher quality overall compared to NES titles, so their inclusion with the Nintendo Online subscription is more exciting for me. All they need to do is get the Donkey Kong Trilogy on there, and I will be good to go.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I wonder if NES app updates will stop. Hopefully not. Admittedly they’ve been scraping the barrel lately but there still some gems left I’d love to see. 

There’s not even 1/5th of the quality titles on the NES available on the service. Their scraping the bottom of the barrel by choice or licensing constraints. Not because of a lack of title variety. 

4 minutes ago, Romier S said:

There’s not even 1/5th of the quality titles on the NES available on the service. Their scraping the bottom of the barrel by choice or licensing constraints. Not because of a lack of title variety. 

True. It’s been a while since I checked in to see just what still isn’t there. Hopefully they still make efforts to grow the library while drip feeding SNES titles as well.

I don't think the launch lineup is as good as the SNES Mini Classic lineup but it's still a welcome addition to the Nintendo Online service. Hopefully, the rest of the Mini Classic lineup will trickle in in the coming months. The SNES is my favorite console of all-time so I'm totally hyped for this and the wireless SNES controller. I could die a happy man if NBA Jam ever makes it to Nintendo Online with 4-player multiplayer!

Games no longer coming to the NES or SNES apps monthly. Now it’s in an “irregular” schedule as per Nintendo.

https://www.vooks.net/new-nes-and-snes-online-games-will-no-longer-be-released-monthly/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

A post on Nintendo’s website in Japan has revealed that both NES and SNES games will no longer be releasing monthly, instead releasing irregularly from here on out. New games are said to be coming to both services in the future, however. We contacted Nintendo to see if this would affect us here and they confirmed it saying that more games “will be added after launch, but those releases will not adhere to a regular schedule”.

Laughable bullshit. “Buts it’s cheaper than Live and Plus!” people will say and the value proposition is still a damned joke considering the state of their online service that doesn’t even measure up to Xbox Live circa 2006 in functionality. Now they can’t dump a ROM on a regular schedule.

The gaming public will still give Nintendo a pass on this stuff though. Just as they excuse re-releasing Wii U “remasters” at full price with limited additions and the complete lack of any meaningful updates to the Switch UI since launch. 

I’m seemingly alone in picking these bones with Nintendo despite watching others for years lambast Sony and Microsoft for similar issues and much more. “Hey man, that’s just Nintendo.” isn’t a meaningful excuse.

It’s certainly strange. While obviously negotiations are required to secure third party titles, I see little to gain from not dumping all first party content as quickly as possible. I can only assume the one major factor that holds up Nintendo’s own games are adding online play functions and having to consequently test for bugs. 

It’ll be interesting to see just how many games they drop when future updates do come. Let’s face it, fewer than four wouldn’t be any kind of shock given Nintendo’s bizarre approach to all this.

I like the remasters. Nothing sold on the WiiU and if it helps good games get seen by more people, I’m all for it. It’s not like anybody’s forcing people to buy it and, yeah, I’m very happy to pay full price to get it back on the Switch in a slightly upscale portable format.

Same with the SNES and NES games. I’m paying $2 a month for this, I really don’t give five shits how they distribute the games.

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

I like the remasters. Nothing sold on the WiiU and if it helps good games get seen by more people, I’m all for it. It’s not like anybody’s forcing people to buy it and, yeah, I’m very happy to pay full price to get it back on the Switch in a slightly upscale portable format.

I have no issues with remasters. Never have. Never will. What I have issues with is the hypocrisy around how people view remasters coming from other manufacturers as opposed to Nintendo's practices. I'm old enough to remember people bitching about Sony leaning heavily on remasters early on this generation (at discounted prices!) or Microsoft doing similar while giving Nintendo a pass for a full price fee for the privilege of being able to play a game handheld with minor improvement if at all.  Sorry Mark, Nintendo doesn't get to be exempt from criticism just cause you or anyone else likes them more. If that offends you, so be it but I'm gonna call bullshit hypocrisy like I see it including some folks on this forum (some who are no longer here mind) who have done what I mentioned plenty in the past 5-7 years.

As an example, plenty of folks specifically spent years begging for folders on the PS4 or begging for Microsoft to address their UI issues and their lack of proper grouping options on the Xbox UI. Switch though? Nah. It's Nintendo. I call bullshit. The fucking 3DS has a more functional UI for god sakes! Nintendo can keep flogging the same UI since launch with little in the way of organizational improvements though cause well...they're special? Nope. I'm gonna say my piece on it.

Same with the SNES and NES games. I’m paying $2 a month for this, I really don’t give five shits how they distribute the games.

Great. If you're answer is that it doesn't matter to you whether you get 1 game  a month or 1 game a year, then fair enough. All I would say is that there's nothing special being done to these games for release. It's a fucking ROM file they're dumping into an emulator (Canoe) that they already developed for the mini systems. The only reason they are drip feeding this is to try to maintain some semblance of actual value proposition for their half baked online "service". There's a myriad of first party SNES games that would support a two titles per month release schedule on the Switch. It's laughable to argue otherwise.

...but again, it's Nintendo so just let it slide. They're special. There's no reason to hold them to any standard that we hold any other company in the gaming space.

1 hour ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

It's been so long since I last played it but man, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts has some massive slowdown.

There's a great hacked ROM of it you can get out there that completely fixes the slowdown issues. It's called the Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts Restoration. I have it on my SD2SNES Pro and its a damned revelation. It still isn't as good as the Genesis Ghouls 'N Ghosts but it improves the experience substantially! Highly recommended and its playable in just about any SNES emulator out there (I think it even works on a hacked NES/SNES Mini, too).

Eh, I bought plenty of remasters for the PS4 back in the day, I don’t mind them on any system. Sure, you can complain that Nintendo’s charging full price, but guess what - they ALWAYS have. It’s not like I’m clutching my pearls and having the vapors over it; no Nintendo product ever sells for cheap, even when it should, so if that’s how the market is, it’s how it is.

Yeah, I’d love to get my remasters for less, but if it’s a matter of value and I value it enough, I’ll pay it. I’m not offended by your take on it, it’s your opinion, man, but I just don’t care enough to sweat it.

Same with the online service. It’s shit, no question, but it’s cheap shit with a very reasonable spread of old games on it. I can play two bucks worth of bloody City Connection a month for god’s sake.

I’d also argue that the online service has, big shock, different value based on the end user experience, too. My girlfriend and I love Tetris 99 and I’d keep Switch Online right now just for that - we play the crap out of it.

There's nothing bugging me all that much about the Switch UI, though I know folders and themes would be welcome. With the PS4 I think a lot of people were frustrated that features from the PS3 UI had not been carried over when the console launched, when you'd think that the popular interface features of a preceding system would form a blueprint to build upon out of the gate. 

I’d love folders on the Switch, I have to say, but it’s such an improvement over the dumpster fire that was the WiiU that I’m okay as is for now.

The WiiU has one of the absolute worst UIs ever designed, simply because of how goddamn slow it was. Even when I went back for the Zelda titles it was infuriating.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

One thing I would like, unless this is possible already and I don't know how to do it, is I'd like to change the border themes on the NES and SNES apps, and also be given the option to hide the start/select menu that runs along the bottom.

A-ha! There is at least an option to hide the in game start/select banner menu. It’s in the settings section of the app library.

*edit* This must be new to the SNES app as I just booted the NES one and the option wasn’t there until I was prompted to update the NES app and now it is!

See? Nintendo are already making good progress. 🙂

It looks like Nintendo has at least updated the Canoe emulator to fix the visual glitch in Yoshi’s Island that appeared on the SNES Classic....

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/yoshis_island_on_switch_fixes_the_glitch_found_in_the_snes_classic_version

Very nice. It was one of the few emulation issues that stuck out for the Classic release.