LCVG

Yakuza (7): Like A Dragon [SeriesX/PS5/XB1/PS4/PC] - Late 2020

Angry the Clown

Not sure I have enough years left in my life to make time for the existing games in the series that I've still to play, but the first full trailer for Yakuza: Like a Dragon, the first in the series pursuing a new characters and storyline, debuted at TGS:

Combat will now be of a turn-based RPG variety.

Hits PS4 in Japan in January and the West sometime later in 2020. No PC release announced yet, but it's probably going to happen at some point.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This was under the Christmas tree. It's a slow start with the first two chapters being extended intros to the characters, their stories + their world. Chapter 3 kicks it all into gear. It's another Yakuza game with the same "world" experiences + structure, but with a dramatically different set of protagonists to the usual Yakuza cast + turning the typical Yakuza combat into a turn based RPG-like system is just fun, that's really pulling me in. 

I’m definitely grabbing this once the PS5 upgrade shows up. I’d have it now but no point since they’re currently saying no to cross-saves between PS versions.

Turn based Yakuza sounds absolutely perfect to me; I love the series’ aesthetic and plethora of stuff and the combat is the one thing I can actually take or leave.

On 12/25/2020 at 10:06 PM, Mark E said:

I’m definitely grabbing this once the PS5 upgrade shows up. I’d have it now but no point since they’re currently saying no to cross-saves between PS versions.

Turn based Yakuza sounds absolutely perfect to me; I love the series’ aesthetic and plethora of stuff and the combat is the one thing I can actually take or leave.

It's really flippin' good. I'm well past the point where it gets "wacky" in combat, I have my first full party of 4, the job system + crafting mechanic just opened up (in chapter 5, hours in), and the story's got lots of fun twists + turns. "REM Ram", where I'm button matching to make sure ram headed sleep demons don't make me nod off in a classic film cinema, is my new favourite mini-game, ever maybe. 

It's not just the combat system change - the cast of characters is dramatically different to most of the Yakuza games and the story leans into their relationships in a big way that's really refreshing as a middle aged guy. Representation! ;) 

• 2 months later...

Got stuck at the first real challenging boss fight for ever it felt like

Spoiler

A big giant construction crane. I love this game. 

. Finally past it after some grinding + going through the dungeon - dungeon boss was a big giant Nope in difficulty, but thankfully there's a way out before it. Big giant story dumps + team changes.... And loving it again... 

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Whooter said:

No, this is an entirely separate story.  There are some characters from the other games but only in limited fashion.  

This. It's basically a whole new chapter - new town, new gangs, new main characters. There's some passing nods to the previous games, but they're far from critical to the story. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed my play through of this outside of a couple of boss fights that are major grinds to get past. Outside of them, it's been non-stop fun with this great gang of characters. 

I may shift my Yakuza play over to Xbox, at least for 7 since it's a new start for the series (likewise Judgement as it's practically a given that's going to end up on Game Pass before the year is out). I still only have Zero completed on PS4, but do have Kiwami in my PS+ backlog and I just can't envision the series staying around on Game Pass long enough for me to be able to work through it all there.

I've gotten as far as the beginning of chapter 3, so I think this is where the game will start to open up.  Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts are the only games I've played recently where the controller will actually disconnect while waiting for a cutscene to finish :)  There's a whole lot of exposition/story going on to start with.