LCVG

A Plague Tale Innocence - [Xbox/PS4/PC] - Free new gen update coming July 6th 2021

Romier S

I wanted to finally post about this game which has been out for some time. I bought and played through it a number of months ago and really enjoyed the hell out of it. It’s a mid-range AA production with AAA production values. I like to call it this years Hellblade in that regard. It’s a primarily stealth based game with a really well told story that veers into the supernatural. It has an fantastic sense of time and place and again visually it’s pretty stunning. Digital Foundry did a nice video of its technology here:

What really reminded me about the game is that there is currently a free trail version available on PC, Xbox One and PS4 right now that lets you play the first stage. Again, I highly recommend it!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Angry the Clown changed the title to A Plague Tale Innocence - [Xbox/PS4/PC] - Free new gen update coming July 6th 2021

The Switch is also getting a Cloud version of the game.

39 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Interesting on the PS+ rumour. The July 6th certainly lends itself to that being true. I'm looking forward to playing this.

It's a small team attempting to release a AAA style game with a medium sized budget and succeeding in much of what they set out to do. Much like Hellblade which is why I made the comparison. Hellblade is the stronger game, IMO but man there's so much to like about this one.

I have the physical version on the Xbox so I'll gladly take the upgrade there but if its hits the PS5 as the Plus game for July,  I'll replay it there for the trophies as I believe I got most of the achievements on my previous playthrough on the One X.

• 4 weeks later...

This game surprised me - for some reason it was never on my radar. As Romier notes, this has some serious production quality, the story is compelling, and while the puzzles are pretty easy, the level design is great. My wife is into it was well.

Cracked me up today, though when she goes,

Spoiler

"Hugo is an asshole."

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, Romier S said:

It looks like the PS5 version is getting its own physical release as well:

Preorder at Target

So, does the disc version on Xbox contain the Series X version or the Xbox One version? Or maybe both?

On 8/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, Josh said:

I think I'm almost done with this one. I can't get my head around how invested in this game my wife is. She's never cared, but this one... she watches intently.

Story-wise, I think it’s a killer game. I think the fact that it’s so linear helps keep the pace from slowing down too much. It’s not like an open-world game where the main story can get lost in all the fetch quests and side missions. It’s perfect for someone watching along on the couch.

17 minutes ago, JFo said:

So, does the disc version on Xbox contain the Series X version or the Xbox One version? Or maybe both?

Not sure on the Xbox as I don’t know if there’s a new disc pressing. My physical copy had the standard Xbox version as it was released years ago and then I downloaded the upgrade. I don’t know if they are doing a new pressing as I said. I also don’t know with 100% certainty if the PS5 version releasing is just a PS4 repackaging requiring the same download or not but at least on the PS5 physical discs I’ve bought thus far for cross gen games like Nioh for example or Observer Redux - the actual PS5 versions have been on the actual discs. (i.e. I didn’t get a patch download prompt with Observer until a week ago with new fixes).

In this digital age, it’s a bit of guess work. I plan to pick up the PS5 version so when I get it, I will install it offline and let you know if it’s the actual PS5 version.

Edit: It does look like the Series X version is getting a repressing at the same time so it seems like it is indeed the “next gen versions” on disc.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dogbert said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/a-plague-tale-innocence/bq2nnlqps8rs?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

That says it supports Smart Delivery so you should get the optimized XS version that's appropriate for your console, even with an "old" disc. The crap with Control/Tony Hawk etc are the exceptions, not the rule, on the xbox typically. 

You absolutely do. As I said, I downloaded the update fine using my “old” disc. The question is more about what’s on the actual disc itself. In other words, when I put the disc in my PS5 or Xbox, is the next gen “upgrade” already on disc for these new releases? Or is it just the last gen core files with a required download to upgrade.

Edited by Romier S

Well, I finally decided to play through this, but I'm stuck in Chapter IV.

No matter what I do, I can't find a spot to throw the pot through the hole in the wall, like the guide says I should.  I've tried quitting and reloading, restarting the checkpoint, but no luck.  I guess the only thing I haven't tried is reloading the chapter from the beginning.  I guess that's next.

Very frustrating, as I was really enjoying it while it lasted...

Edit: So I replayed it from the beginning, and got thru that part, but there really seems to be some issue with the pot throwing, because it's impossible to find where you're supposed to throw them.  Now I'm stuck farther up where you need to throw one to distract a guard, but no dice.   Grrrr...

Edit 2: Nevermind, I'm completely stupid.  The rocks with a the sling have two aiming methods with LT and Left-Shoulder, but the Pots only have Left-Shoulder.  It works much better when you use the right aiming button.  Derp.

• 1 month later...

I'm at chapter VI and am really enjoying it. It's a lot more gruesome than I had anticipated. I'd really not seen much media on the game, and only knew of its reputation through good worth of mouth, so it's interesting to see the story unfold. I've found that switching to actually playing the game in French also enhances the experience greatly. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm at chapter VI and am really enjoying it. It's a lot more gruesome than I had anticipated. I'd really not seen much media on the game, and only knew of its reputation through good worth of mouth, so it's interesting to see the story unfold. I've found that switching to actually playing the game in French also enhances the experience greatly. 

Indeed. It’s exactly how I played it both times. The English VA is fine but it feels like watching a foreign film with a dub.:)

At least on the English version, the characters speak with French accents. I’m slowly playing Assassin’s Creed Unity right now — a game set in Paris during the French Revolution — and I can’t get over how many of the main characters speak with English accents.