LCVG

Amazon Music HD

GunnerX

Interesting.  It's worth noting that you can save a bit of money by buying an annual plan. You can also get a Family Plan for $20/month, which is the same as a regular Tidal subscription. This is also a available for $200 annually if you like. At some point, I figured one of the big steaming services would come for Tidal's bread and butter — the audiophile who wants to pay more for lossless audio. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that it’s Amazon and that they're undercutting them on price.

I subscribe to Apple Music, and while I would be interested in seeing an “HD” tier from them as well (for both Apple Music and the iTunes Music Store), I’m not sure I would notice much of a difference. I still prefer buying music in lossless quality whenever I can — be it in FLAC, ALAC, or a good ol' Compact Disk — but the quality of the AAC flies from Apple is so good that I would have a very difficult time discerning between the two. And don’t get me started on “hi-res” audio, which I think is a load of crap.

7 hours ago, Carlucci said:

I didn't think my aged ears would be able to discern much difference, but there is definitely something there.  Definitely worth the $5 additional per month for my family plan.

Carlos.  

What are you listening on? I haven't had a chance to do an A/B comparison yet. My primary listening lately has been Sonos, which I'm not sure will be able to show much difference.

Man, I know "Ultra HD music" is bullshit. I've taken that online test and failed miserably. I know that human ears can't pickup beyond certain sample/kHz rates. But I swear the Ultra HD version of Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die" is some kind of auditory miracle. Just incredible sounding!

Sorry, Gunner. Hope you get it soon!

Carlos. 

• 8 months later...

Now Tidal has support for Dolby Atmos. 

Get a 60 day free trial here.

https://music.dolby.com/product/tidal/

I just tried it in my media room from the Tidal app on my FireTV.  It's really good. Damn good. It's a limited selection thus far, but I can see more artists coming out with atmos mixes.

Definitely worth getting a free trial for. 

Carlos. 

A bit off-topic, but I discovered yesterday that because I have a YouTube Premium Family subscription, I also get access to both YouTube Music and Google Play Music as part of the deal (both ad-free). So technically, I’m paying for two music subscription services, the other being Apple Music. Although I have to admit that the YouTube Premium is more about not seeing any annoying ads while watching YouTube videos.

I’ll check out Google’s service a bit more this next week to see what are the pros and cons of the service compared to Apple Music. I just have to figure out how to upload my own songs to the service, by which I mean songs I’ve purchased elsewhere that aren’t available on YouTube Music or Google Play.

Allright, what the hell is going on?

Tidal Hi-Fi sounds amazing!  Using the Tidal app through my FireTv, songs not in Atmos are coming through showing Dolby Digital + format, encoded in 2.0, which my receiver on "straight" decodes into 2.2, but it sounds so spatial that I had to walk around to verify it wasn't activating more speakers.

What format is this really?

Whatever it is I'm spending the $20 a month for it when my trial is over. 

Carlos.

20200615_100335.jpg

10 hours ago, Camp said:

Interesting that Google still has two music services. I just assumed that Google Play Music was dissolved into YouTube Music.

Yeah, this really confused the hell out of me. I wasn’t sure what the difference was or if my subscription worked on one or just both.

I also have an offer from Amazon at the moment to get an Echo Dot for $0.99 with a 1-month subscription to their music service. I also can get 6 months of Spotify Premium for free as a perk for subscribing to Game Pass.