LCVG

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 [Switch] - November 2019

I tend to overlook these games but am wondering if that might prove to be mistake with the latest instalment. The 2D retro event elements here look really cute:

The games in the series tend to get a middling critical reception in the 60s and 70s. It'd be nice if this one bucks the trend as it actually looks like the type of thing I'd enjoy playing these days.

• 1 month later...

There’s quite a generous single and multiplayer demo now available on the eShop.

You get a choice to play 110m Hurdles, a round of Badminton, Karate, Archery and Surfing. Character wise Mario, Sonic, Bowser and Eggman/Robotnik are playable.

You can also switch to the 1964 Olympics/Retro Mode for 10M Platform Dive and Long Jump. Available characters are Mario and Sonic. 

Presentation wise its really lovely (a nice companion piece to Marko Tennis Aces). I like it a lot. Great music too. The retro mode is a treat, although jarring to see a mix of 8 bit and 16 bit sprites. 

If the reviews are good next week then I’d certainly consider picking it up closer to the Olympics in July. Controls seem very simplistic so I am not sire if there’s much depth to be had. We’ll see.

• 5 months later...

Given that they're leaving the actual olympics as "Tokyo 2020" (just held in 2021), I don't think there's much they need to change. 

I actually grabbed this last week for my son (who tried the demo and wanted to spend his birthday money on it).  It's not bad-a little like the old Summer/Winter games on the c64 really.