LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC)

Well, shit. I didn't need another game to play, but I'm a sucker for 2D sidescrollers and this one is getting some pretty decent reviews. IGN gave it an 8.7 (Great):

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is an excellent 2D platformer full of surprises and delights for fans nostalgic for the glory days of the genre. With some clever approaches to the final boss fight, the overworld map, and refreshing levels for repeat playthroughs, this one sits in the top tier of platformers just below the likes of modern classics like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Game Xplain also posted a glowing review, making many comparisons to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze:

Back at GamesCom, Digital Foundry looked at an early build of the game and walked away pretty impressed with what they saw:

The game targets 60fps on all platforms, even Nintendo Switch. The version shown in the video above is from the Xbox One version. They did not do a pixel count in this video, but they do believe it is running at 4K resolution on the X as well.

This is due out on Monday, and is $29.99. I'll be adding it to my wish list.

• Like 1

Had planned to start a thread on this one when it was announced but must have forgotten. It’s nice to see it getting good reviews. It’s another one for my wishlist too.

Anything that’s compared favorably to Tropical Freeze is worth my time. Is this getting a physical release? 

Edit: Nevermind. It is. PS4 version ordered on Amazon.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:07 PM, Romier S said:

Anything that’s compared favorably to Tropical Freeze is worth my time. Is this getting a physical release? 

Edit: Nevermind. It is. PS4 version ordered on Amazon.

Yeah, I pre-ordered mine for PS4 as well. I noticed the pre-order on PSN was on sale for $26.99 (10% off) and could not resist. I don't know if I will get to it tonight (I'm still trying to finish up Story Mode on Super Mario Maker 2), but I will probably start it in the next couple days. I can't wait. This really does look fantastic.

• Like 2

Cancelled out my PS4 version a little after ordering as I wanted to wait to clear some games out of my queue. Glad I did as I’ll likely end up with the X version considering the lack of Pro support. 😕

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Cancelled out my PS4 version a little after ordering as I wanted to wait to clear some games out of my queue. Glad I did as I’ll likely end up with the X version considering the lack of Pro support. 😕

Yeah, the lack of PS4 Pro support does seem odd, doesn’t it? I wonder what the reason for this is. Time? Money? Some sort of technical thing? Their statement to DIgital Foundry is pretty vague, but I insinuated that it was a technical issue.

I will not be cancelling my PS4 pre-order in favor of the Xbox One version though. For one, I bought the game digitally, so I’m shit out of luck on that front. Second, I still only have a 1080p screen at home. Since the game runs at 1080p60 on the Pro, that should be good enough for me.

Besides, I already have the first Yooka-Laylee on PS4, so it seems right to have the semi-sequel on the same console.

:Cruise:

• Like 1

Yeah if your still on a 1080p screen makes sense.

For me, that 4K res support on Xbox = winner.:)