LCVG
JFo

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Coming Holiday 2020

Sony financials hit today. 

110 million PS4's sold into the market. 

They had their second best year for the Playstation brand since its inception.

Some highlights:

• Over $18.19B Revenue and $2.19B Profit in FY19
  • 2nd best year ever for PlayStation
  • 2nd biggest Revenue for any platform holder in video game history
  • Hardware: 13.6m PS4 sold-in during FY19
  • Software: 245.0m games sold-in during FY19 (not including "download only software titles")
  • 4th highest yearly software sales in video game history
  • PS4 is the only console to have 4 years with more than 200m games sold
  • PS4 Software LTD passed 1.2B games sold
  • Q4 reached a record of 59.6m games sold
  • 4th Q4 straight with over 50m games sold (no other console reached 50m sold during Q4)
  • Software digital ratio during Q4 FY19 (Jan-Mar 2020) : 66%
  • Highest digital ratio ever for a quarter
  • PlayStation generated over $108B Revenue and $8.92B Profit since PS4 release
  • PlayStation Network generated over $51.00B Revenue since FY13
  • No precise Guidance for FY2020Sony expect about 70% of FY19 Profit for FY20, which gives a FY20 forecast of about ¥167bn Profit ($1.52B)
  • It would be the 4th best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation (while it is a launch year, known to be loss-making)
  • Full FY20 forecast planned for early August (when they will release Q1 Results)

Sony is a gaming and image/sensor company at this point.

NBrnAXX.png

icYBEFt.png

JWEONQ4.png

OqfP2vv.png

TL:DR version:

ps4-it-prints-money.gif

I'm guessing the PS4 lands in the 125-130 million lifetime number by the time its all said and done. Just shy of the PS2's over 150 million. That's only because consoles don't drop in price at the level they used to. If Sony ever did a $99-$150 PS4.......

That's nuts.

Extraordinary.

You really have to wonder how they can balance the introduction of the PS5 price with the PS4 base... not that the entirety of such a huge user base is going to be immediately eager to upgrade of course, but I’d love to know their medium term strategy to retain those PS4 customers and have a proposition of them make the early transition over the next 2-3yrs. 

Look at how small the physical software sales is compared to digital. 

46 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Off topic, but $600M in profit for the studios. Why bother for the effort required?

Software drives hardware sales and keeps people in the eco-system buying other third party games?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kelley said:

Look at how small the physical software sales is compared to digital. 

Look at how much I’m going to keep buying physical games regardless.;)

12 hours ago, dogbert said:

Software drives hardware sales and keeps people in the eco-system buying other third party games?

Sorry, I should have been more clear — I was referring to Sony Pictures. I don’t want anything to happen to PlayStation Studios 🤣 I need my Uncharted and God of War as much as the next guy!

I think when you have that many games you need to go true library style and have back-to-back shelves.  If for no other reason than to conserve space.  There is no reason you can't hoard AND be organized at the same time.  I mean that guy isn't doing anything else in the middle of that room except making it impossible to do anything. You pretty much have to go in Mission Impossible style.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear — I was referring to Sony Pictures. I don’t want anything to happen to PlayStation Studios 🤣 I need my Uncharted and God of War as much as the next guy!

Dug around for more detail and Sony Pictures profit was actually up by around $200m on previous year, no doubt thanks to Far From Home and Jumanji (Bad Boys also helped apparently). Revenue for the division was up too, from $8.87 billion to $9.32 billion. Really, on balance, and for any studio that isn’t the monstrously dominant entity that is Disney, these seem like good results. 

Yep. I have a library of over 1500 games and it is contained to a single large storage unit out of necessity right now but I plan to expand it out to make it easier to find the games I want to play. Organization is absolutely possible and necessary. I wouldn't trade it for a digital library well...ever.

14 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Are You A Video Game Hoarder?

Am I the only one that's bothered by the fact that that looks like a Dreamcast and PS1 on the back shelf with the lids left open?  Those things are going to get dirty :)

• Like 1

It wouldn't shock me if it's just games, or games and then a very brief reveal of the machine at the end before a Cerny deep dive into the hardware at a later date. 

You’re Invited: A Look at the Future of Gaming on PlayStation 5

Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment President & CEO,  writing for the PlayStation Blog:

There are few things as exciting as the launch of a new console. While this road to launch has been a bit…different, we are as thrilled as ever to bring you with us on this journey to redefine the future of videogames.

We’ve shared technical specifications and shown you the new DualSense wireless controller. But what is a launch without games? 

That’s why I’m excited to share that we will soon give you a first look at the games you’ll be playing after PlayStation 5 launches this holiday. The games coming to PS5 represent the best in the industry from innovative studios that span the globe. Studios, both larger and smaller, those newer and those more established, all have been hard at work developing games that will showcase the potential of the hardware. 

The event is June 4 at 1pm PDT / 9pm BST / 10pm CEST

It sounds like we'll be seeing the games and not the hardware based on the blog post, which is a bit disappointing. Still, it should be an exciting presentation! It will be interesting to see which games will be launching with the system this holiday.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Excellent 1

The tweet gif shows some different angles of the controller:

Also wonder if that might be the boot sound.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Also wonder if that might be the boot sound.

Literally came here to post that tweet with that very same question! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Literally came here to post that tweet with that very same question! 

Definitely reminds me most of the PS1 boot sound as it almost sounds like it's revealing two logos and has a similar flow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Definitely reminds me most of the PS1 boot sound as it almost sounds like it's revealing two logos and has a similar flow.

Indeed! I like it.