Jump to content
LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Coming Holiday 2020

Recommended Posts

Currently selling my PS4, will play Last of Us Part 2 and maybe Deaths Stranding on PS5, hopefully both will have PS5 editions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NickC said:

Currently selling my PS4, will play Last of Us Part 2 and maybe Deaths Stranding on PS5, hopefully both will have PS5 editions.

So you'll have no cause to use your PS4 for the next YEAR?  And wait THAT LONG to play Last of Us 2?  Must be PC player?  Switch lover?  Porn addict?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a four month old son, we're selling our house, building a new house, and it's about to be Ski/Snowboard season, so while I'd love to find time to play games in the next year, and there are several I want to play, i'm fine waiting a year.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NickC said:

I have a four month old son, we're selling our house, building a new house, and it's about to be Ski/Snowboard season, so while I'd love to find time to play games in the next year, and there are several I want to play, i'm fine waiting a year.

 

Having parted with both my XB1 and PS4 this year I'm quite content with the decision, despite knowing I'll be missing out on more Gamepass goodness, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, Dreams...etc. I know all that stuff will be waiting for me in a couple of years, and the longer I leave them the cheaper all those games get when it comes time to catch up on what I've missed, and they'll potentially be enhanced on PS5.

 

I also think it helps having a desire to catch up on late current gen titles to fill some gaps during the early years of a new console where the big must play releases don't come out quite so frequently (though there's every chance PS5 could buck that trend should God of War 2 and Spidery 2 surface in its first eighteen months. At least one of them wouldn't surprise me). It's perhaps moot if I don't expect to buy a PS5 at launch anyway though. 

 

The Switch keeps me very happy for the time being.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

Having parted with both my XB1 and PS4 this year I'm quite content with the decision, despite knowing I'll be missing out on more Gamepass goodness, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, Dreams...etc. I know all that stuff will be waiting for me in a couple of years, and the longer I leave them the cheaper all those games get when it comes time to catch up on what I've missed, and they'll potentially enhanced on PS5.

 

I also think it helps having a desire to catch up on late current gen titles to fill some gaps during the early years of a new console where the big must play releases don't come out quite so frequently (though there's every chance PS5 could buck that trend should God of War 2 and Spidery 2 surface in its first eighteen months. At least one of them wouldn't surprise me). It's perhaps moot if I don't expect to buy a PS5 at launch anyway though. 

 

The Switch keeps me very happy for the time being.

 

Yep. All that plus I hope Horizon 2 hits in the first two years as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh hey, look who else decided to join the party.;)

 

EGYuLPiX0AAsdkw?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

 

Not sure if this is new or not but it just ran through my twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JFo said:

From E3 2019:

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 5.34.18 PM.png

 

Indeed though the lack of aggressive messaging post-E3 from Microsoft (or even at E3, frankly) remains baffling to me. Sony drops an interview and reveal with Cerny prior to E3 basically eating up attention for their console. I expected Microsoft to come really strong out of the gate and their E3 show was solid but hardly game changing. Now, Sony does a Wired article with more specs, controller details, more nuance around the UI and expectations around installation options, etc. Meanwhile, there's the image above. Though to be fair, that may not be new and Microsoft is just keeping quiet.

 

If Microsoft was in the drivers seat this generation, then fair enough but coming off of the PS3 and its struggles, Sony put together a massive conference around the PS4 reveal and they didn't even show a box!  Microsoft just feels "reactive" right now and not proactive. I hope that changes soon. They have a good message around their backwards compatibility program, Game Pass and they are making moves on the first party studio shopping front. They’ve been out there talking xCloud and other services as well. I'll invariably own all of these consoles at some point but right now, PS5 is a day one purchase for me. The next Xbox is a 6 months post release type of buy for me much like the One. I think that's going to be the case for a lot of early adopters unless Microsoft shifts the paradigm (pricing is a big unknown that could do that as well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Microsoft has surely turned me. My PS4 is now the one gathering dust as I buy all games (and gamepass just makes that sweeter) for the X.

 

The PS4 pro is mainly used now for exclusives which is where Sony has the upper hand ATM.

 

ray tracing on the new consoles is great news.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

Microsoft has surely turned me. My PS4 is now the one gathering dust as I buy all games (and gamepass just makes that sweeter) for the X.

 

The PS4 pro is mainly used now for exclusives which is where Sony has the upper hand ATM.

 

ray tracing on the new consoles is great news.

 

Its a healthy mix for me but a bulk of my gaming is done on the X as well. That’s a function of the machine being more powerful than any affinity or preference hence the third party titles I am interested in perform better or support higher resolutions. If preference came down to it, I prefer the Dual Shock 4 by a slim margin and the PS4 UI by a country mile but that’s not enough to override a gulf in resolution and performance in certain titles I care about. Whether that power gulf exists next generation is a big question mark and the dynamic will shift again anyways when they do their mid-gen refreshes. Hence why I just end up with all of them. Makes life easier.

 

Game Pass is indeed wonderful, too! For me though, it’s a means to play games I may or may not purchase. I have no sense of ownership of them much like Plus and Gold titles but if I like them enough, I’m gonna go buy them. Blazing Chrome is a great example. I’ve been playing the game on the X via Game Pass as it saves my spending digital monies for a game I actually purchased physically on the PS4 via LRG. I wish Blair Witch had released physical. I have not played River City Girls cause I’m waiting on my physical copy for PS4. I’m waiting on the physical release for the Deadly Premonition rerelease on the Switch. I personally feel a greater sense of urgency to play something physical if that makes any sense. Same goes for retro titles. I own every library imaginable via flash carts but I love to pop in the original copies I own and play them. I’m 75% through a Yoshi’s Island run on the Super NT and that save game is on the cart! It will be promptly backed up as well.

 

Someone less tied to having a physical library will obviously prioritize things differently as will folks with varying tastes but first party exclusives and Sony’s in particular are defining for me. As are Nintendo’s. Links Awakening is one of my favorite games this year. Especially in a day and age where I have lost most interest in big release third party games (Assassin’s Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Watch Dogs, Ghost Recon, Borderlands.....you name it. I stopped caring ;) ).

 

I’ll buy the PS5 on the promise of Sony’s first party output alone much like I’ve bought all of Nintendo consoles post Gamecube for Nintendo’s first party output. Even if it took me a bit for the Switch. Ironically, I loved the Wii U! Halo and Gears isn’t enough for me anymore for Microsoft. Halo Infinite has a lot to prove after Halo 5 and Forza isn’t my thing (nor are any racing games anymore, frankly) so I’m left with very little to drive me to their console day one for better or worse. That could obviously change but we’ll see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Romier S said:

 

Indeed though the lack of aggressive messaging post-E3 from Microsoft (or even at E3, frankly) remains baffling to me. Sony drops an interview and reveal with Cerny prior to E3 basically eating up attention for their console. I expected Microsoft to come really strong out of the gate and their E3 show was solid but hardly game changing. Now, Sony does a Wired article with more specs, controller details, more nuance around the UI and expectations around installation options, etc. Meanwhile, there's the image above. Though to be fair, that may not be new and Microsoft is just keeping quiet.

 

If Microsoft was in the drivers seat this generation, then fair enough but coming off of the PS3 and its struggles, Sony put together a massive conference around the PS4 reveal and they didn't even show a box!  Microsoft just feels "reactive" right now and not proactive.


Exactly my feeling, yes. 
 

I’m extremely glad I had an X, even if only for a brief period, as I got to experience what MS were doing with their services first hand, and I really liked it (and as I’ve said before, damn Sony if they can’t make a PS5 run as quietly as an X because MS raised the bar with the way that system was engineered. I’ve had enough of consoles sounding like vacuum cleaners).

 

What I can’t say is whether I will own a Scarlett, simply because I know I will build a new gaming PC someday and we know all first party games will be on PC, and there’s Gamepass now too. It’d depend on how much I really desire the simplicity of just plugging in a console, having a dedicated system UI experience...etc, and I do value that a LOT, but I can’t envision having a PC and a Scarlett, and the PC is going to tempt me with sim and strategy based stuff that doesn’t always make it to console. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it could. We’re still about nine or ten months from manufacturing and it also depends on what kind of deal Sony can strike with AMD and other suppliers, and also what kind of loss Sony are willing to take. $449 could perhaps be possible, and higher for a larger capacity model. A base price of $500 seems like a risk to me, even coming off the huge success of the PS4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I think it could. We’re still about nine or ten months from manufacturing and it also depends on what kind of deal Sony can strike with AMD and other suppliers, and also what kind of loss Sony are willing to take. $449 could perhaps be possible, and higher for a larger capacity model. A base price of $500 seems like a risk to me, even coming off the huge success of the PS4. 

 

You’re forgetting the tariff x-factor.  They haven’t been imposed yet but likely will be at this rate on December 15th. Who knows how that will look well into 2020 but I’m not dismissing $499 as the starting point for price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Nerds eye view on the latest details:

 

As soon as they reminded me that the SSD is proprietary in the way it's implemented, I started thinking we'll probably see pricing tiers for the next gen consoles based on storage space.

 

I sure we'll be able to use external storage, but only as "overflow" where the data will need to be shuffled back to the SSD.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...