LCVG
JFo

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Coming Holiday 2020

I’m probably about 80% towards SeriesX this year for the right price, then PS5 in 2021 (that is if I am to even break down and buy anything at all this winter). 

The video above raises an interesting point about the PS5 colour. Is yellowing of lighter coloured plastic a thing of the past, or could the console be as susceptible as any other? (my Dreamcast looks horrific). 

1 hour ago, kelley said:

I’m going to buy both and hardly have time to play either of them because I’m a grown ass man with a highly demanding job. 

Amen to that.

I'm going to buy both, sink most of my time into just one of them, and wonder if I really needed to buy the other at launch.  I don't know which console is which at this point.

• Like 1

With all this talk about fan noise, and cooling is important, but fan noise has never been an issue.  Both on my original PS4, which is still going strong for my son and where we played RE3 Nemesis, or my Pro.  I understand that other's experiences are valid, just not one that I happen to share.  

Do you know what I most want?  For my system not to shit a brick every time the power goes out.  It's literally a 10-15 minute process each time this happens as it "verifies the integrity" or whatever first.  Then once the UI loads up it sits there and reads through every game on the system and my expandable drive with the little HD indicator flashing.  Our power went out twice in a week and the day after my son asked if I wanted to play something.  I said "Sure, but it ain't gonna be on the PS4 because I'm not waiting for it to figure itself out."  PC and Xbox are always ready to go.  

• Bravo 1

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Do you know what I most want?  For my system not to shit a brick every time the power goes out.  It's literally a 10-15 minute process each time this happens as it "verifies the integrity" or whatever first.

Yes!  At the very least, lose the "hey dummy, don't unplug the power cord like that" admonishment.  I'm not doing what you think I'm doing, Sony!

• Like 1

I got a lot of those integrity verification notices too. 

You’re very lucky on the fan noise. Without a surround system to help drown out the noise both my launch PS4 and Pro were horrendous and I would regularly stop playing games sooner than I otherwise might have on account on the fan.

The XB1X on the other hand was miraculous and I am pleased it seems to have set the bar for the next gen systems cooling performance.

I’m looking forward to a glut of PS5 stability updates. 🙂

19 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

With all this talk about fan noise, and cooling is important, but fan noise has never been an issue.  Both on my original PS4, which is still going strong for my son and where we played RE3 Nemesis, or my Pro.  I understand that other's experiences are valid, just not one that I happen to share.  

I’m not sure exactly when you jumped on the PS4 bandwagon, but keep in mind that Sony did revise the console — both the original and the Pro versions — with ones that were significantly quieter.

I had a launch PS4, and it was very loud no matter what I played. I traded it in for the CUH-1200 model in 2014, which was much quieter in comparison (by a total of 12 dB, according to Digital Foundry).

When I upgraded to the Pro in 2017, I bought one of the original models — the CUH-7000 — and sadly, my PS4 sounded like a proverbial jet engine once again. About a year ago, I traded that in for the much quieter CUH-7200 model, and dare I say it, it’s almost as quiet as my Xbox One X.

So yeah, it’s possible to have gotten quiet PS4s if you bought the right revisions. In fact, if you have the slim, that appears to be the quietest model of all. I don’t know of anyone who’s complained about the noise level on that machine. If you did have a quiet launch unit and a quiet launch PS4 Pro model, congratulations, you are a special unicorn, and we should all probably hate you for it.

40 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Do you know what I most want?  For my system not to shit a brick every time the power goes out.  It's literally a 10-15 minute process each time this happens as it "verifies the integrity" or whatever first.  Then once the UI loads up it sits there and reads through every game on the system and my expandable drive with the little HD indicator flashing.  Our power went out twice in a week and the day after my son asked if I wanted to play something.  I said "Sure, but it ain't gonna be on the PS4 because I'm not waiting for it to figure itself out."  PC and Xbox are always ready to go.  

I have a launch Pro. Fan noise is not and has not been an issue for me. On more taxing games I can hear it but it’s never distracting.

A big old “Yes!” on the second statement. It was annoying to the point that I have a pricey battery back up in place to avoid it after a power loss corrupted my Spyro save and forced me to start over. The reinitializing licenses shit gets old. 

Though the Xbox is it’s own annoyance in that you have to wait through the fancy 4K intro and initialization which takes four minutes on its own and I have to deal with errors starting up games that may have been in rest mode cause it didn’t like the power off. Game suspension on the X sucks in general.

3 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

I'm going to buy both, sink most of my time into just one of them, and wonder if I really needed to buy the other at launch.  I don't know which console is which at this point.

It’s why I’m not buying both despite actually WANTING to. I’ll likely mirror this gen. PS4 was first and I bought the XB1 6 months later. I’m a grown ass man with a job and kids but I’ll definitely use them.:)

19 minutes ago, JFo said:

I’m not sure exactly when you jumped on the PS4 bandwagon, but keep in mind that Sony did revise the console — both the original and the Pro versions — with ones that were significantly quieter.

I had a launch PS4, and it was very loud no matter what I played. I traded it in for the CUH-1200 model in 2014, which was much quieter in comparison (by a total of 12 dB, according to Digital Foundry).

When I upgraded to the Pro in 2017, I bought one of the original models — the CUH-7000 — and sadly, my PS4 sounded like a proverbial jet engine once again. About a year ago, I traded that in for the much quieter CUH-7200 model, and dare I say it, it’s almost as quiet as my Xbox One X.

So yeah, it’s possible to have gotten quiet PS4s if you bought the right revisions. In fact, if you have the slim, that appears to be the quietest model of all. I don’t know of anyone who’s complained about the noise level on that machine. If you did have a quiet launch unit and a quiet launch PS4 Pro model, congratulations, you are a special unicorn, and we should all probably hate you for it.

Day 1 "on the bandwagon." Day 1 also for the Pro when it released.  Which is why my son received the original.  

13 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I have a launch Pro. Fan noise is not and has not been an issue for me. On more taxing games I can hear it but it’s never distracting.

A big old “Yes!” on the second statement. It was annoying to the point that I have a pricey battery back up in place to avoid it after a power loss corrupted my Spyro save and forced me to start over. The reinitializing licenses shit gets old. 

Though the Xbox is it’s own annoyance in that you have to wait through the fancy 4K intro and initialization which takes four minutes on its own and I have to deal with errors starting up games that may have been in rest mode cause it didn’t like the power off. Game suspension on the X sucks in general.

Yes, suspend could definitely be better on the X.  Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't support it at all.  But RE2 was perfect in that regard.  Really made it a pleasure to hop back in and out of that one.  I haven't had issue with initialization on the X.  Seems to be ready when I need it.  

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Day 1 "on the bandwagon." Day 1 also for the Pro when it released.  Which is why my son received the original.  

Sarcastic Clap GIF by Debby Ryan

• Haha 2
  • Excellent 1

I'm itching for new tech but I'm leaning towards siting it out this time. I'm going to try and hold for the next revision of both consoles but it'll depend on the games. I already have a huge pile of unfinished games as it is...

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I didn't know this was a thing. I've had a Cyberpower UPS back there with a few things plugged into it and appreciate it more hearing that. I don't think I can go back not having one.

• Like 1

I’m leaning toward preordering a PS5. We’ll see as the time comes. I waited 3 months to get a PS4, and that was after skipping the previous gen entirely. 

Some of my enthusiasm will depend on FFB steering wheel support. If my current wheel (T-300 RS) is supported, then that makes it an easier move. 

Actually, I’m curious, not being one who follows console launches super closely, can we expect Sony to announce peripheral support for the platform, like FFB wheels, before launch, or is that something that will happen as part of the announcements of specific games (GT-7 most likely)?

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Do you know what I most want?  For my system not to shit a brick every time the power goes out.  It's literally a 10-15 minute process each time this happens as it "verifies the integrity" or whatever first. 

This would be nice. I also get an error that my external drive needs to be repaired every time this happens. 

Since I haven’t been using the PS4 as much lately, I started shutting it down completely to avoid this. 

So, I didn’t realize that Kena Bridge of Spirits is a Holiday 2020 title.

The launch/launch window line-up in terms of the reveal (as of now) looks like:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Deathloop 
Jett the Far Shore
Bugsnax 
Godfall

Astro’s Playroom

We’ll no doubt get more clarity in August.

Quite an eclectic line up, plus one can add in Assassins Creed and Cyberpunk...etc. Both next gen systems seem to be launching with very respectable collection of titles (arguably better than PS4, PS3, XB1 and 360 had). 

While I think I might get a Series X pretty quickly, I don't know I'm going to quite go day one. Christmas is most likely, but I'd quite like to hold off until someone says how loud and reliable they both are.

EA’s press details for Fifa basically confirm you will use the PS4 game disc to authenticate the free next-gen download when inserted into a PS5, but if you own the digital PS5 you will apparently have to pay for the PS5 version of the game, which seems to imply that digital purchases of the PS4 game will not be playable/upgradable on the PS5, but surely that’s not going to be true? The statement does go on to say it’s because a physical copy can not be used to upgrade a discless purchase, obviously, but It’s odd they didn’t also just say that an existing digital purchase of the game will upgrade on the digital PS5.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-19-fifa-21-current-gen-release-date-announced-pc-version-confirmed-for-steam

That’s not what I took from that. It’s just shitty wording.

As you'd expect, the physical copy of FIFA 21 on PS4 also includes your entitlement to download and play the PS5 version of the game (and Xbox One with Xbox Series X), so you still can upgrade for free if you buy a next-gen console with a disc drive. However, if you buy a discless next-gen console, you need to buy FIFA 21 digitally to take advantage of the upgrade offer "as physical discs cannot currently be used to upgrade to discless consoles".

You buy the disc, you get the upgrade free if you haves  disc based console.

If you buy the digital copy on PS4, you can take advantage of the free upgrade.

If you bought it physical on PS4 and buy the digital PS5? You’re rebuying it.

If you have a discless console you have to buy it digitally......

....which is..uh...no shit?

• Like 1

Remember, the whole process of making sure you can still lend a disc out that they got such plaudits for teasing Microsoft about back at launch time mean that when you own a PS4 game (or an Xbox game for that matter) on disc, you don't own it digitally. A digital copy of FIFA tied to your account is something that a download-only PS5 can know about, but there is no method in place for a disc-ownership one to do that.

7 minutes ago, iainl said:

Maybe, maybe not. Remember, the whole process of making sure you can still lend a disc out that they got such plaudits for teasing Microsoft about back at launch time mean that when you own a PS4 game (or an Xbox game for that matter) on disc, you don't own it digitally. A digital copy of FIFA tied to your account is something that a download-only PS5 can know about, but there is no method in place for a disc-ownership one to do that.

That’s the point they’re making. If you bought the disc and then buy a digital PS5, you’re rebuying the game on PS5.

Buy physical disc, get disc based PS5, get the upgrade.

Buy digital, get digital PS5, get the upgrade.

Buy disc, buy digital PS5, go fuck yourself.

No maybe or maybe not about it. It appears the Xbox version will work the same way likely when Microsoft reveals the disc driveless Lockhart model.;)

• Like 1

Yeah it’s just weird they didn’t make the point to clarify what happens if you buy it digitally on PS4.

Glad they’re patching their titles for launch regardless. 

Yes, sorry for any confusion - the "maybe" was about what happens with digital, because it's unrelated to the simple issue that there's no way to install the physical licence that a disc represents into a machine with no drive.