LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

Not to be lost in the gaming financials news, Sony is doing pretty well with this whole PlayStation thing...

Major records broken / milestones reached this quarter or fiscal year by PlayStation :

• PlayStation reached an all-time high of 25.04B Revenue during FY2020 and set a new record for the industry
  • Previous record was Sony FY18 with $20.84B Revenue
  • The second time PlayStation broke the $20B barrier
  • Only PlayStation ever generated more than $18.5B Revenue during a fiscal year, let alone $20B
  • PlayStation reached an all-time high of $6.24B Revenue during Q4, a new record for the industry
  • Previous biggest Q4 Revenue was Sony Q4 FY18 with ¥498.1bn (= $4.52B)
  • A jump by +27.3% from previous biggest Q4 Revenue
  • First time, any platform holder ever reached $5 Billion and $6 Billion Revenue during Jan-March
  • Biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during a non-Holiday quarter (non-Q3)
  • PlayStation generated $3.23B Profits in FY20, a new record for them (despite the launch of a new hardware)
  • First time, they broke the $3B barrier
  • Previous most profitable year was FY18 with $2.81B Profits
  • PlayStation 5 sold-in 3.3m units (LTD: 7.8m) and is now the most sold console during its first fiscal year 
  • Beating PS4's 7.6m units in its launch fiscal year, previous record holder
  • PlayStation 4 is now the console which has sold the most games in video game history, with at least 1.577B games sold
  • Surpassing PS2's 1.537B games sold, previous record holder
  • PlayStation Platforms sold more than 337m games in FY20, the highest yearly software sales in PlayStation ecosystem
  • Previous record was FY18 with 287.9m games sold
  • PlayStation Network reached an all-time high of $17.32B Revenue in FY20 (+36.4% YoY)
  • Previous record was $12.88B Revenue in FY18
  • PlayStation Network reached an all-time high of $4.04B Revenue in Q4 FY20 (Jan-Mar 2021) ; +23.7% YoY
  • Previous Q4 record was $3.27B Revenue in Q4 FY18 (Jan-Mar 2019)
  • PlayStation Software & Services reached an all-time high of $18.62B Revenue in FY20 (+34.9% YoY)
  • Previous record was $14.61B Revenue in FY18
  • PlayStation Software & Services reached an all-time high of $4.19B Revenue in Q4 FY20 (Jan-Mar) ; +21.0% YoY
  • Previous Q4 record was $3.57B Revenue in Q4 FY18 (Jan-Mar 2019)
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s out for delivery. I have to work all day so my son came over to wait while I’m not there.    edit: and delivered!! Now just 6 more hours of work to go....☹️

My Christmas just got a little better...    

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I picked up the Pulse 3D headset on a whim. I don’t usually game much with headphones but the kids have been complaining about the noise from my late night sessions so here’s hoping they are worthwhile.

They aren't bad. I think they are comfortable and sound is better than the Xbox ones.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

The Xbox ones were next on my list unless there’s something better in that price range?

I don't know of anything, and they are just so easy to use. It's not that they sound bad either.

Out of the box they do not sound great. The bass is way too heavy and really muddles the sound. But once you adjust the equalizer, they sound fine. I think the Pulse has the edge in sound, but I found the Xbox headset a little more comfortable and…no dongle. I like them both and they are good for gaming headsets as long as you don’t expect anything more.

9 hours ago, Romier S said:

I picked up the Pulse 3D headset on a whim. I don’t usually game much with headphones but the kids have been complaining about the noise from my late night sessions so here’s hoping they are worthwhile.

The big advantage these have are the integration with the system itself. The headphones have rockers for volume and the game/voice chat balance and a monitoring on/off switch. 

The mute switch is the better than previous PlayStation headset because the button ejects when you are muted so you can tell it's engaged just by touching the button. And when you are muted via the headset, the mute button still lights up on the controller.

These will also automatically turn off if you leave them on and not connected to the system.

The PlayStation headphone mics were always terrible (the Platinum was worst ironically since it was the premium headset at the time), but the Pulse is improved here. Not the best mic in the world but one Sony's best for a headset so far. 

44 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

What will happen? I'm out of the loop.

In the Apple vs Epic trial several other tech companies have provided testimony and support for Epic in their battle against Apple. Microsoft is one of the big ones. If Apple loses and has to open up the App Store, there’s no stopping someone from suing MS, Sony, etc from having to open up. 

5 hours ago, kelley said:

In the Apple vs Epic trial several other tech companies have provided testimony and support for Epic in their battle against Apple. Microsoft is one of the big ones. If Apple loses and has to open up the App Store, there’s no stopping someone from suing MS, Sony, etc from having to open up. 

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, kelley said:

I'm surprised at how many of these companies are going after Apple in the Epic vs Apple lawsuit, do they not realize what is going to happen to them if Epic wins.

I'm completely in the middle when it comes to the closed platforms. I don't mind them being closed for both the sake of security and convenience (in many ways it's my preference), but I'd appreciate being able to acquire digital codes for games/applications via the likes of CDKeys, or even directly from a developer that can be redeemed via PSN, Nintendo eShop and iTunes.

Sony have always been shite about that with regards to Playstation, at least in Europe, while Nintendo allowed it up until last year when they stopped supplying code cards to third party retailers (you can still purchase codes for anything released up to the point of the cut off, though I assume that is surplus stock? I don't know whether the enforcement extends to demands on AAA third party publishers too as it appears to do for Playstation). Microsoft, meanwhile, have never appeared to take issue with it as I see I can purchase Xbox cards for anything from MS Studios Games to brand new third party games like RE Village on sites like CDKeys should I so desire.