LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

Posted Images

Playstation blog has revealed more information about PS4 controller and accessory compatibility with PS5:

In our June Future of Gaming digital event, we announced an array of PlayStation 5 peripherals and accessories that will be launching this holiday season. But we know that many of you were also wondering if and how existing PlayStation 4 peripherals are compatible with the next-gen system. Today, we’re happy to share a brief FAQ that will answer some of your questions. 

If you have questions that aren’t addressed, feel free to leave them in the comments below.

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games. 
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
  • Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles. 

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Is the PlayStation Camera for PS4 compatible with PS5?

Yes, PlayStation Camera will work with PS5 for playing supported PS VR games. It will require a PlayStation Camera adaptor that will be provided at no additional cost to PS VR users. More details on how to get the adaptor will be announced at a later date.

And that’s it! We’ll continue to provide updates on PlayStation 5 down the road, so make sure to check back soon.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/playstation-5-answering-your-questions-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

• Like 1

State of Play for August announced. Sony explicitly saying there will be no major PS5 related announcements so I would imagine something else is coming down the pike that is PS5 related.

47 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The camera adapter is interesting. I’ll definitely need one.

Assuredly that adapter will take forever to arrive, and utilize one of the USB ports.  I really liked how the Slim and Pro had dedicated camera ports.  I can understand, though, why they don't add one on, cost to all vs. only a handful of users.  That also makes me think they have a new camera/VR system in the works, or maybe even a new VR sans camera, like the Quest.  

Apparently new camera announced and I forgot.

Regarding the State of Play, goodness Sony is being a huge tease right now aren't they?

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

I can’t say I’m convinced that the new features of the Dual Sense 5 will amount to anything more than cheap gimmicks that don’t get utilized much in the games. I mean, it sounds cool that there might be more tension in the triggers depending on their use in games, but I’m not sure I want anything that makes it harder to use my weapons. Sure, I’ll give it a try to see how it all works out, but if there’s an option in the menu to turn it off, I’m all for it.

20 minutes ago, JFo said:

I can’t say I’m convinced that the new features of the Dual Sense 5 will amount to anything more than cheap gimmicks that don’t get utilized much in the games. I mean, it sounds cool that there might be more tension in the triggers depending on their use in games, but I’m not sure I want anything that makes it harder to use my weapons. Sure, I’ll give it a try to see how it all works out, but if there’s an option in the menu to turn it off, I’m all for it.

Haptics when used properly are actually pretty fantastic. I think the area where it can make the most difference is in VR, actually which has been a focus for Sony and I think we will see a PSVR2 down the line. The problem is that that haptics aren't particularly well implemented today outside of a few games and is sparsely used.

To Microsoft's credit, they built the Xbox One controller with excellent haptics a but outside of maybe the Forza games, they aren't terribly ubiquitous. Same goes for Nintendo which built the Joycons with "HD Rumble" which is a fancy name for haptic feedback. The hope is that next generation titles really dive into and start to make the use of such things more prevalent and worthwhile to the gaming experience. Will that happen? I've no clue. To your point it may end up being nothing more than a gimmick but considering its been highlighted pretty heavily on most of the controller discussions surrounding the DualSense, I'm hoping that it becomes at least something more worthwhile than simple rumble.

42 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Haptics when used properly are actually pretty fantastic. I think the area where it can make the most difference is in VR, actually which has been a focus for Sony and I think we will see a PSVR2 down the line. The problem is that that haptics aren't particularly well implemented today outside of a few games and is sparsely used.

To Microsoft's credit, they built the Xbox One controller with excellent haptics a but outside of maybe the Forza games, they aren't terribly ubiquitous. Same goes for Nintendo which built the Joycons with "HD Rumble" which is a fancy name for haptic feedback. The hope is that next generation titles really dive into and start to make the use of such things more prevalent and worthwhile to the gaming experience. Will that happen? I've no clue. To your point it may end up being nothing more than a gimmick but considering its been highlighted pretty heavily on most of the controller discussions surrounding the DualSense, I'm hoping that it becomes at least something more worthwhile than simple rumble.

I'm looking forward to haptics in driving games since I enjoy the genre but am not dedicated enough to pay for a wheel, so I'm looking forward to trying the DualSense with Gran Turismo in the hope it offers some added sense of responsiveness and handling (though I so wish Sony had a solid arcade racer IP. I'm sad Driveclub was killed off). 

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm looking forward to haptics in driving games since I enjoy the genre but am not dedicated enough to pay for a wheel, so I'm looking forward to trying the DualSense with Gran Turismo in the hope it offers some added sense of responsiveness and handling (though I so wish Sony had a solid arcade racer IP. I'm sad Driveclub was killed off). 

...and Motorstorm, frankly which was a damned blast on the PS3. The return of a good and proper Wipeout sequel would be met with great cheer from me as well. The Omega Collection on the PS4 is stellar but its pretty much remasters of earlier titles.

4 minutes ago, Romier S said:

...and Motorstorm, frankly which was a damned blast on the PS3.

Yes, that was great fun.

They need an answer to Forza Horizon, not necessarily open world, but an ambitious racer with more arcade/fun leanings. I will buy the next GT because it will look pretty and shiny, but it's not a series I turn to for instant pick up and play indulgent pleasure. 

It would be nice if Frontier patched Elite with DualSense support for PS5 as well as it could be nice for flying the ships, landing, lunar driving...etc. That could sway me to play it on PS5 over SeriesX. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The return of a good and proper Wipeout sequel would be met with great cheer from me as well. The Omega Collection on the PS4 is stellar but its pretty much remasters of earlier titles.

*sigh*

Yes. I'd love that more than anything but sadly it seems unrealistic. Much as I Ioved HD/Fury I still have a greater love for the original three on PS1 as they still had the best track designs and music. Wipeout WAS Playstation for me in the mid 90s. If I could just have those via BC and enhanced I'd be delighted to be honest.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

Can Namco just bring a proper Ridge Racer back? I’ll even take a remaster of the prior titles at this point.

Ridge Racer 5, 6 and 7 are all really great games. Overlooked at the time as folks had reached exhaustion with the series but I own them all and they are in many ways the pinnacle of the series. The PSP games are even pretty damned great.

Bugbear also did Ridge Racer Unbounded which was very different but a really great time. The PS3/360 era really was the golden age for arcade racers when you think about it!

• Like 2

Not specifically PS5 related but it gives some visibility into how important the gaming side of Sony is and how profitable it is for them. These are the Q1 financials for Sony and it’s gaming division and I think they are in a good place to absorb some hardware losses per unit on PS5 if necessary....

g97o7EE.png

1.9 million PS4’s sold in Q1. Almost 113 million sold through in general. Look at those PS Plus subscriber numbers.

Gaming Revenue : ¥606.1bn / $5.63B (+32.5% YoY from ¥457.5bn / $4.16B - Q1 FY2019)
Gaming Operating Profit : ¥124.0bn / $1.152B (+68% YoY from ¥73.8bn / $0.672B - Q1 FY2019)

- Best Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during Q1

- Best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation during Q1

- Best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation during any quarter

On a constant currency basis, Revenue increased +35.7% YoY and Op. Profit increased +71.8% YoY

This quarter, the Gaming Division accounts for :
- 30.8% of Sony total Sales/Revenue (vs 23.8% - Q1 FY2019)
- 32.6% of Sony total Operating Profit (vs 31.6% - Q1 FY2019)

FY 2020 Forecast...

DPSE6Zm.png

0QNhEPP.png

Look at the growth of their gaming business over the last 7 years.

We're thinking COVID is affecting the bump in Digital ratio numbers right (that 67.3 number)? I was going to say the same for the PS+ bump, but looks like it jumped up in 4thQ too after being stuck at 36 million for like a year?

Q1 only goes until the end of March, so I don't know how much those two weeks would affect the numbers.

18 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

We're thinking COVID is affecting the bump in Digital ratio numbers right (that 67.3 number)? I was going to say the same for the PS+ bump, but looks like it jumped up in 4thQ too after being stuck at 36 million for like a year?

• Like 1

If you go back and look at the financials of most of the major publishers in recent years there's a pretty consistent increase in digital revenue, which as Romier notes is why Sony feel it's the right time time to offer a dedicated digital console (and allegedly Lockhart will be Microsoft's digital only offering, though I don't know if that means Lockhart will not also have a dive based variant. It'd be odd if it didn't). Activity since March will have only increased the proportion of digital sales revenue for everyone, and while that may subside a little whenever things return to normal, current circumstances will still have brought enough people into the digital ecosystem who will now be willing to predominantly, if not exclusively, remain there. 

I'm less certain than I initially was with regards to which PS5 I will go for given my gaming and buying habits. I'd love to know what the manufacturing split is between the two models. 

• JFo changed the title to The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital