LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

Posted Images

It'd be surprising to create only a $50 difference between the two models. I can only imagine the drive to go $449 over $499, if indeed that price is accurate, is in response to the Series X pricing, but I honestly don't feel as if Sony need to undcercut them. 

Both PS4 and PS4 pro were £350 on release in the UK when our currency wasn't on fire in a ditch. I can't see Sony bringing even the digital PS5 in at that price. It would be truly remarkable if they did. If either the 399/499 or 399/449 dollar value are accurate then my best guess is they will just swap out the $ for a £ sign over here (whereas Microsoft were more accommodating in making the S 250 and X 450 in the UK). 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It'd be surprising to create only a $50 difference between the two models.

Looking at it another way, I was wondering if the optics of a $100 difference over only a disc drive would look bad. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Romier S said:

11 million units is not that worrying from an availability standpoint though. 

Indeed. I'm old enough to remember when Microsoft was trotting out the "first to 10 million units wins the generation" metric back in the Xbox 360 days. Now we're talking about having 11 million units available at launch for one of these consoles. How things have changed.

That’s what I thought too. But then someone made the point, that while we understand that, the average consumer does not. Sony could probably easily market it as also a fully functional 4K blu ray player along with playing games, and most people would accept that as justification for the extra cost. 

I’ll still stick with $450/400, but $500 is not going to surprise me. Hell, it probably makes more sense. They can always lower the price after, they can’t go up once it is set. And that way they offset the small loss on the DE with the little extra they will make off the disc version.

Just like I felt the Series S existed to undercut the PS5, I feel as if the DE exists to hit that $400 price point. That is the one thing I feel confident about. Which probably means I’m wrong. Tomorrow can’t come soon enough, pretty excited for this. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Paul said:

That’s what I thought too. But then someone made the point, that while we understand that, the average consumer does not. Sony could probably easily market it as also a fully functional 4K blu ray player along with playing games, and most people would accept that as justification for the extra cost. 

I think a big part of the drive's value, beyond those who collect games, is the ability to buy, sell and trade. Even with digital game sales surging, I think that still matters to a lot of people, perhaps even more so as games begin to get more expensive. To me I think that degree of flexibility is what would stand out to the general consumer the most when looking at the two, so yes a $100 extra would probably be seen as acceptable premium to the right kind of customer.

Initially I was going to opt for the physical model, with a view to picking up titles on release, playing them, trading them and recycling whatever money I got back into the next purchase, and so on and so on. But really, while that's how I approached the first few years with the PS4, by the time I got the Pro I was happy to wait on new releases, and instead pick them up months later in PSN sales (it was between 6 and 10 months before I ever bought Spider-man, God of War...etc). When I realised I'd be approaching most PS5 releases in a similar fashion, it was clear to me I'd actually be happy with the digital model. Being able to buy pre-paid PSN credit from retailers in sales now and again really helps too.

Sony are denying the Bloomberg story:

Sony has reached out to GamesIndustry.biz with the following statement denying the Bloomberg report:

“While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," the statement reads.

"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-15-sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

Most curious. 

I think any notion of a disc version being more expensive being bad optics is minimal at best. Yes, probably 30-40% of the market is still out there buying physical discs and using their console as a multi-media device but those people (like myself) are likely within our age bracket and understand the changing dynamics of the market and the rise of digital as the preferred method of purchasing games. This isn't a new dynamic and its pervasive in *all* forms of entertainment. Not just gaming. Those "lessons" crossover pretty easily and frankly, even at $100, you're still getting value in that you not only have a vehicle for playing physical games media but you also get a UHD player in the process and those still run in the $150 range for a decent quality player if you don't already own one.

For me, even though I’m basically 100% digital now, if it’s only fifty bucks difference, it’s a no-brainer to get the model with the drive included. 

I feel like these are both gonna be over $400, but I’d be happy to be wrong.

Possible leak on the French Micromania Twitter. They have since denied this is true but I guess we’ll find out in a few hours:

These informations comes from Micromania to Sadako (PlayerOne.tv) :

- 499€ for the PS5
- 399€ for the PS5 Digital Edition
- Opening pre-orders on Thursday, September 17 from 9 am (French time)
- 4 games available for pre-order : Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Destruction All-Stars, Demon's Souls Remake and Sackboy Adventures.

Man, launch with Miles, Demon’s Souls and Sackboy? 

• JFo changed the title to The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

Not to toot my own horn but...

On 6/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, JFo said:

My prediction on PS5 pricing:

PS5: $499

PS5 Digital Edition: $399

Called it back in June, baby.

Too bad I was wrong about Microsoft’s plans in the rest of the post, but I was going off the assumption that Series X was the only machine they’d be launching this year, despite all the rumors saying that the Series S was on the way as well.

3 minutes ago, JFo said:

Not to toot my own horn but...

Called it back in June, baby.

Too bad I was wrong about Microsoft’s plans in the rest of the post, but I was going off the assumption that Series X was the only machine they’d be launching this year, despite all the rumors saying that the Series S was on the way as well.

I mean, not to untoot your horn but many of us called it as it were. :)

I've been arguing for months that anything above $500 was fantasy no matter what Digital Foundry and others kept going on about. 

First-party launch day lineup confirmed by Sony.

PlayStation 5 Launch Day Games from SIE Worldwide Studios

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, JFo said:

First-party launch day lineup confirmed by Sony.

PlayStation 5 Launch Day Games from SIE Worldwide Studios

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

lmao at those $ to € conversions. Good God. It's going to be fun to see the UK prices.

My run of rarely buying games on release shall continue into the next-gen.