LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Amazon have emailed to say orders go up at 9am here so I have just under three hours to decide which page to land myself on. 😬

I’m at least glad they’ve put a time on it. Go discless. It’s what you want and I’d say if there is a scarcity, it will help the value, not hinder it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I’m at least glad they’ve put a time on it. Go discless. It’s what you want and I’d say if there is a scarcity, it will help the value, not hinder it.

Eh. Only if I flipped it within six months I'd wager. :) I think disc versions would do better when a PS5 Pro surfaces, but then you'd expect that given it sells for a higher price anyway. I'm still veering back to the fence thinking about being able to get games cheaper on disc sooner than I might on PSN though. 

7 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Eh. Only if I flipped it within six months I'd wager. :) I think disc versions would do better when a PS5 Pro surfaces, but then you'd expect that given it sells for a higher price anyway. I'm still veering back to the fence thinking about being able to get games cheaper on disc sooner than I might on PSN though. 

Preaching to the choir here. You do know who you’re talking to here, right? :)

• Haha 1

How would you get PT onto a PS5?

Currently I’m not getting one, because £70 games are not a prospect I can face. But supposedly this generation had £50-£60 games as well, and I have not once ever paid that. Much more tempted by a Series X just because it has Game Pass and at the minimum all those One X enhancements to all my current games. 

3 minutes ago, iainl said:

How would you get PT onto a PS5?

Transfer off of a USB backup? 

3 minutes ago, iainl said:

Currently I’m not getting one, because £70 games are not a prospect I can face. But supposedly this generation had £50-£60 games as well, and I have not once ever paid that. Much more tempted by a Series X just because it has Game Pass and at the minimum all those One X enhancements to all my current games. 

It's the £70 games pushing me toward swallowing that £90 premium and going physical just because, after a while, £70 won't be the norm as retailers compete, and for devs/publishers I'd sooner not support directly there's the option to buy used and generally, I do like having options available to me. So I could look more to getting games that I might not feel have great replay value to me physically in the knowledge I will sell them on.

I've one hour left to decide, but I think for me, approaching things as I did in the early years of PS4 (buying mostly physical, then trading in to recycle funds for the next game) is going to be the way to go. Again, I think after a lot of thought, I want the safety of having the options given the price of games. I was even thinking about my purchase of Miles. I loved the Spider-man game having bought it digitally on sale some ten months after release, got the platinum, but have no real desire to revisit it anytime soon even if they gave everyone the shiny upgraded release.

So I'd be happy buying Miles on disc, getting the Platinum, then selling it on, and years from now if I wanted it again I could probably buy it dirt cheap in a PSN sale. Maybe that's the altered approach I need to focus more on taking this gen as I could apply it to Horizon and God of War sequels as well, games that don't really need to live in my digital library. Meanwhile digital purchases would be anything very cheap in a sale, or games with replay for me (tony hawk's, gran turismo, resident evil games...etc).

• Like 1
On 9/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, Angry the Clown said:

(for this year at least, my feeling is if anyone cannot get their model of preference but can get the alternative, they will go for the alternative, even if it means buying the more expensive version).

I have become that which I foresaw. I have become... the monster.

• Haha 1

I can't even hardly say I'm a gamer anymore, and I have no business going for a next gen console.   

But damn, it feels bad to feel left out while you guys snag your pre-orders.  Congrats, all.

I'm going to get an Xbox series X when Halo drops, just because.

Carlos.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

This was the breaker for me -- considering the backward compatibility, this'll be a nice opportunity to buy used discs super cheap for PS4 games I never got a chance to play. I have a feeling people will be unloading them.