LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

Maybe, but my son just got his Super Mario 3d all stars a day early.  I do know they are trying to get as much as they can down to one day delivery, especially things they can plan for and have in place.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a pre-order in with Target.

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

Posted Images

That 825GB drive about to get eaten up fast.

Demon’s Souls: 66 GB minimum. Vibration function supported. Trigger function supported.

Miles and Spider-Man Remastered: 1 player. 105 GB minimum. 1 Disc.
Miles alone: 1 player. 50 GB minimum. 1 Disc.

• Interesting 1

Those seem fine. Within current gen sizes to be sure. I wonder how much space Astrobot and the operating system eats up on the SSD? Obviously we will be able to delete Astrobot. Where the hell is the hardware tear down? It would be interesting to see how we can add more storage, even if they're not able to tell us what compatible storage is available just yet. 

I've got to admit that I'm really struggling with the game prices here. It's genuinely difficult to know what the second PS5 game I buy will be (probably Horizon since it will be priced lower for cross-gen). Much as I love the Ratchet series, I'm not paying £70 for the new one. We've seen gradual increases in game prices on this side of the Atlantic for years, so I was expecting another £5 for next-gen on top of the £54.99 that had been the standard RRP for PS4/XB1 (and basically meant £45-49 over time from Amazon...etc), but would never have expected the £15-20 increase we've been lumbered with. I'm curious to see what pushback there will be from consumers here. I remember when some games were going to cost £8 more on PSN for digital purchases during the PS4's launch compared to XB1's digital store, but the response was so vicious that they backtracked just before the console came out.

This will probably be the first time I buy some games for a current generation used as I've only ever done so in the past with retro purchases. It was definitely the better call to go for the physical model. I'd be in a panic if I'd picked the digital before we knew the game prices. Had I not already put some credit into my PSN wallet before pre-ordering I probably would have gone back to my default choice of the Series X and Game Pass.

So the PS5 had better be damn quiet because I've basically just bought what I hope will serve me as a quiet PS4 Pro (or Pro+ if boost mode is a thing) for a long time. :) 

• Like 1

The UK game pricing is high for me too :( Since the PS5 is also region-free you could always grab digital editions from the US, CA and other locales to avoid the high GBP pricing. It has been pretty simple on PlayStation to do this since the PS3 days (thankfully) and I’ll be continuing to do so on mine but, also means “consolidating” the PS+ and/or PSNow subs to one region. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Magness said:

The UK game pricing is high for me too :( Since the PS5 is also region-free you could always grab digital editions from the US, CA and other locales to avoid the high GBP pricing. It has been pretty simple on PlayStation to do this since the PS3 days (thankfully) and I’ll be continuing to do so on mine but, also means “consolidating” the PS+ and/or PSNow subs to one region. 

Yeah, I'm feeling really down the more I've reflected on the increases (again, not that there's an increase at all. I expected one, just not one so dramatic and questionable). At most they should have brought prices in line with the increases in North America, perhaps even with a minor bump on top to reflect that prices here include VAT, but no, in the UK we're faced with the equivalent of $90, and in continental Europe they're asking even more with the equivalent of just under $95. That pretty much makes the hobby unsustainable. Ragnarok's probably going to be a 2022/2023 game for me. 

I do have an old US PSN account, so that's good thinking. If memory serves my purchase of Witcher 3 was on that account, so with that getting a free next-gen patch in 2021 I should look to recover it and I can buy $ based PSN pre-paid credit from CDKeys I think. Even with the opportunity to save on some digital purchases though, I'm still most likely to buy first party titles on disc 6-12 months after release either used or on sale, and make use of the benefit of being able to sell them on after completion. The abundance of third person action games that Sony roll out are not really games I need to keep in my digital collection as rarely will I feel compelled to revisit them within three-four years. 

Crazy how I went into this set on the digital edition, but am now faced with having to buy mostly physical releases.

I could kill the pre-order, switch it out for a Series X and buy another PS4 Pro safe in the knowledge I could play Miles, Horizon, Sackboy in the year ahead, but they haven't reduced the Pro's price, so for £100 more I might as well stick with the PS5 as the premium is probably going to be worth it IF there's a boost to PS4 game performance and the hardware is no longer like having a 747 parked in the living room. 

• Like 1

Weirdly I'm having trouble logging in with my US account. It recognised the email, but rejected the password. It let me send myself an email to reset the password, and even acknowledged my 2FA, but even after resetting the password it continues to reject the log in details. 

I doubt I'd have logged into that account in around four years or so. Do Sony do anything with dormant accounts after a while? 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Weirdly I'm having trouble logging in with my US account. It recognised the email, but rejected the password. It let me send myself an email to reset the password, and even acknowledged my 2FA, but even after resetting the password it continues to reject the log in details. 

I doubt I'd have logged into that account in around four years or so. Do Sony do anything with dormant accounts after a while? 

I seem to remember that I couldn't log in with my VPN turned on a few years ago. I turned it off and boom, I could log in. So maybe there's some region-locking or IP filtering? 

• Interesting 1
11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Those seem fine. Within current gen sizes to be sure. I wonder how much space Astrobot and the operating system eats up on the SSD? Obviously we will be able to delete Astrobot. Where the hell is the hardware tear down? It would be interesting to see how we can add more storage, even if they're not able to tell us what compatible storage is available just yet. 

Off the shelf drives will work, which is nice. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/3/18/21185298/ps5-ssd-storage-expansion-xbox-series-x

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah, but not quite so simple. Any expectation of a compatibility list will be post launch.

There’s one big caveat, however: The PS5’s expansion bay won’t accept just any M.2 SSD. In order to ensure performance compatibility with the PS5’s high-speed SSD — and physical compatibility with the size of the expansion bay — Sony will be certifying individual M.2 SSDs for the PS5, which uses the new PCI Express 4.0 standard. Cerny said that it’s “likely” that certifications will begin arriving “a bit past” the console’s launch this fall.

As someone with 5 TB full of PS4 games, this is one of the big concerns I have. Do we know what kind of install times we are looking at this gen? If we are talking minutes, then it’s doable if not ideal. There is still so much we don’t know. Hopefully they release something soon that covers all this. 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

It feels like both Microsoft and Sony's messaging this year has left them both alternating in taking one step forward, while the other takes two steps back. Interesting too that Microsoft's messaging arguably got stronger in the wake of a leak and how they chose to respond to it.

It's weird how Sony are really resting on their laurels right now, which we've often jokingly predicted the leader of one generation was always destined to do in the lead up to the next. Cerny teased a hardware tear down back in March. We're still waiting. The first showcase reveal gave us what seemed to be a glimpse of the start up menu....but they didn't build on that with the second showcase and we're still waiting to see the full UI. Little things that Microsoft has done well revealing by this point, and going further in demonstrating the fast loading and quick resume features.

I hope we get another Cerny video soon combining the hardware tear down, a UI demo...etc. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

As someone with 5 TB full of PS4 games, this is one of the big concerns I have. Do we know what kind of install times we are looking at this gen? If we are talking minutes, then it’s doable if not ideal. There is still so much we don’t know. Hopefully they release something soon that covers all this. 

Yeah it's going to be annoying, if I was the only use of the box, I don't think it would be much of an issue. But with teens in the house...

So if we assume say a 100GB game, at an HDD transfer rate of say around 100-150MB/s - we are taking about 12-18 minutes to copy a game over to the internal SSD. I'm assuming the interface to be similar to what we have now, where I can just copy an "installed" game from internal to external without an issue.

I hope SSD prices come down fast :) ATM they seem to price ratio compared to HDD's is about 5:1 - Around $100-120 gets you 5TB HDD, but only a 1TB SSD. A drive with say 500MB/s transfer rate, would knock down the copy time to around 4 minutes - that's a little more palatable.

I was speaking with one of the guys at my local EB Games today. He couldn’t give me an exact number of their allocation of PS5s, but said it was less than 20. All of those were for disc drive versions as they didn’t get any  by allocation of the digital only systems. Only the bigger stores (3 or maybe 4 in the greater city area of Vancouver) got any digital allocation. 

It’s not much to go on as it is a smaller store, and I’m sure most of EB’s allocation is going to online, but it is interesting. 

14 hours ago, Graeme said:

I was speaking with one of the guys at my local EB Games today. He couldn’t give me an exact number of their allocation of PS5s, but said it was less than 20. All of those were for disc drive versions as they didn’t get any  by allocation of the digital only systems. Only the bigger stores (3 or maybe 4 in the greater city area of Vancouver) got any digital allocation. 

It’s not much to go on as it is a smaller store, and I’m sure most of EB’s allocation is going to online, but it is interesting. 

Honestly, that sounds about on par with previous console releases. Guessing there's a bit more margin in the disc drive versions, so it's understandable that retailers would request more of those, especially in what appear to be near final days of traditional videogame retailers.

57 minutes ago, Josh said:

Guessing there's a bit more margin in the disc drive versions, so it's understandable that retailers would request more of those, especially in what appear to be near final days of traditional videogame retailers.

They also can’t really sell games as add-ons for the discless system, so they have less incentive to stock and sell them. 

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

They also can’t really sell games as add-ons for the discless system, so they have less incentive to stock and sell them. 

Absolutely. They also lose those customers for the resale market.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, Angry the Clown said:

23 hours ago, Magness said:

Im not sure if inactive accounts get deactivated or anything after a few years...

23 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

I seem to remember that I couldn't log in with my VPN turned on a few years ago. I turned it off and boom, I could log in. So maybe there's some region-locking or IP filtering? 

I think there must have been a bug or it simply didn’t update immediately after confirming the password change as I can log in with the US account now (didn’t need to do it via a VPN) and everything seems to be as it should be.

Good to know I’ve now got that third option for game purchases to fall back on.

Am I right in thinking the US account needs to be set up as the parent PSN account on a console to allow my UK account to play my US purchases and installs? I forget but seem to recall that’s what I did on the PS4 (I never used the US account on the Pro in the end).

Can you also have pre paid credit in your wallet on multiple accounts and not lose your money when switching regions? I believe the Switch will erase your wallet when you Switch regions, but don’t recall outcry over the Playstation being that devious.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Graeme said:

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Honestly, that sounds about on par with previous console releases. Guessing there's a bit more margin in the disc drive versions, so it's understandable that retailers would request more of those, especially in what appear to be near final days of traditional videogame retailers.

I was just reading this Ars Technica article on this very subject:

"Ars was able to confirm the initial PS5 preorder allocations for nine separate GameStop locations. All told, roughly 24 percent of the stock available at these locations was taken up by the Digital Edition, with the remaining 76 percent for the Standard Edition.

The Digital Edition ratios at individual locations ranged from 13 to 33 percent of all the available PS5 preorders, with 20 percent being the most common ratio. Each individual GameStop location in our sample received anywhere from 15 to 30 PS5 units total, with 20 being the most common number.

While this handful of stores doesn't exactly represent a scientific retail survey, the story is consistent enough across multiple locations in multiple geographic areas to suggest a nationwide trend. And while we weren't able to confirm allotments at other retailers on the record, Ars Technica has confirmed with well-placed sources familiar with at least one other retailer about similar PS5 Digital Edition allotment ratios there.

[Update: Best Buy Canada's web site reportedly showed 19,000 Standard Edition and 3,000 Digital Edition pre-orders available on Wednesday, which would mean just 13 percent of stock was reserved forthe Digital Edition.]"

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/ps5-retailers-have-many-fewer-digital-edition-systems-for-pre-order/