LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

Not sure I’m actually prepared for that thing. I have neat little rolling IKEA stand for my electronics, but I’m 90% sure the PS5 is bigger than it. So I’m going to have to get creative. 

For real. So glad I don’t have a cable box anymore. Thinking I might just put this thing on the floor hidden behind my console, assuming it doesn’t need line of sight.

It’s shockingly big. We have lots of dinosaur books in our house, and they usually have an illustration showing a dinosaur’s size compared to an adult human. Perhaps Sony should make a similar illustration for the PS5 so that people can determine whether or not it will fit in their house.

Seriously, though, what amazes me about that design is how Series X — which I would in no way describe as a little console — looks so small in comparison. I wondered which one was actually bigger in terms of volume. Here’s what I found:

PlayStation 5

Dimensions: 390mm x 104mm x 260mm (Source)

Total Volume: 10,545,600 cubic mm

Xbox Series X

Dimensions: 301mm x 151mm x 151mm (Source)

Total Volume: 6,863,101 cubic mm

So, yeah, Series X is significantly smaller overall, despite arguably packing more power in its box. If Microsoft manages to get it running quietly as their Xbox One consoles, I will be seriously impressed.

Oh, and Series S is absolutely tiny compared to both of them:

Xbox Series S

Dimensions: 270mm x 151mm x 65mm (Source)

Total Volume: 2,609,280 cubic mm

I measured the shelf in my entertainment center today. The PS5 and the Series X will definitely be laid horizontally. Right now, I have all my consoles oriented vertically, but given how tall, the PS5 is when standing up, that’s just not an option. Fortunately, I should be able to fit everything into the shelf space I have without any issues.

3 hours ago, JFo said:

So, yeah, Series X is significantly smaller overall, despite arguably packing more power in its box. If Microsoft manages to get it running quietly as their Xbox One consoles, I will be seriously impressed.

I think they will. I'd expect nothing less than them looking to where they came from with the XB1 X as the minimum standard and, at the very least, matching what they did there, if not improving upon it even further. Their engineering team these days seem to be on top of their game. I will never fail to praise the XB1 X as a piece of hardware. I miss it. Smaller than the PS4 Pro, more powerful, and I could never hear it. I got a great deal of pleasure from the PS4 and Pro, but as pieces of hardware I found them irritating and they would regularly get so noisy I'd no longer feel the desire to play what I was playing. 

It kind of feels like Sony are where MS where when the VCR XB1 was revealed, over-designing something huge so as to avoid the hardware problems/criticisms that plagued their previous generation. Again, I'm STILL waiting for that damn teardown when Cerny said he expected people would be quite happy with their cooling solution once they see it. Sony have a lot to prove in this respect. 

I do like the PS5's design though. I suppose just because it veers off in a different direction, but I like that it's seemingly function leading form rather than the other way around, much like the Series X. The designs of either next-gen system may not be to everyone's liking, but if they ensure stable hardware performance then then that's all that really matters in the end. Size wise it will live horizontally beside my Oppo UHD player in my AV stand with enough room for airflow around it. 

6 hours ago, JFo said:

: 10,545,600 cubic mm

This is the size it would be if, like Microsoft’s devices, it were a cuboid. It -is- the size you need to give space to, but making all twiddly futuristic curves means they’re giving up more space than they might. So I’m really curious to know what’s going on in there - is it an airflow thing?

3 hours ago, iainl said:

This is the size it would be if, like Microsoft’s devices, it were a cuboid. It -is- the size you need to give space to, but making all twiddly futuristic curves means they’re giving up more space than they might.

True that. It's obviously not exactly that volume thanks to all the curves and contours of the shell. But, like you said, that functionally how much space it will take up on your shelf, which I think is a more apples-to-apples way of comparing it to Series X/S (i.e. "Where can I put this damn thing?")

3 hours ago, iainl said:

So I’m really curious to know what’s going on in there - is it an airflow thing?

My guess is there's a giant-ass fan along the rounded corner in the front. How the rest of the internals are designed is anyone's guess at this point.

5 hours ago, iainl said:

is it an airflow thing?

I believe so. Those fins keep people from putting anything too close to it, forcing ample airflow. My Pro overheats within minutes if I close the cabinet it’s in.

I have to imagine that's why it's got a curved top in horizontal mode, too, much like the PS3 George Foreman design. Microsoft have just gone for making it really obvious where the intake and exhaust are, then relying on people not being an idiot placing a book over the fan.

It was a good idea for the optical drive to effectively live separately from the core of the system I think (the core being the black part of the design shared between both physical and digital models). It's effectively bolted on underneath, so should mean it's not obstructing airflow as it would on a PS4/Pro.

I thought the PSU was at the chunkier end but you're right. I was confused as from the back the curve is the reverse of the front, so where the black core of the system gets thinner on the left at the front, it's fatter on the left at the back.

EiQ2LOsXcAE6xcF?format=jpg&name=900x900

EiQ2K-tWoAANb2U?format=jpg&name=900x900

Makes sense given that's the end it sits on if placed vertically. The optical drive is definitely built into the lower half of the case though, rather than the black core (again since the core is identical between models).

11 hours ago, AlbertA said:

I was defeated by bots. I'm pretty sure the same thing is going to happen tomorrow with Series X.

I'm going to be defeated by the dentist. 9:30am CST appointment, arranged six months ago. Doh.

• Sad 1

Sony Japan confirmed PS5 units are going out youtubers. We should start to see much more on the system soon.

From Thursday, September 24th to Sunday, October 4th, the YouTube-sponsored game festival "YouTube Gaming Week" will be held. Sony Interactive Entertainment will participate in this event, and popular creators who have a YouTube channel will experience PlayStation®5, which is about to be released in Japan on Thursday, November 12, and will see the pattern on their own channel in October. From 18:00 on the 4th (Sun), we will hold a project "Try! PlayStation 5 on YouTube Gaming Week" to release videos in sequence.

Stay tuned for more information on what titles popular creators enjoyed. From now on, we will continue to try to have popular channel creators of the YouTube platform experience PS5 until the PS5 release period.

2 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Oh God the first look at the UI...etc is going to come from Youtubers isn't it? Oh GOD. 

:Psycho:

Welcome to 2020 and the world of "Influencers". Also, they'll likely be under instructions about what they can and cannot show so I'm fine with it.

• Annoyed 1