LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Posted Images

By the way, its amusing to go back and look at where the PS4 UI started. I hope to god Sony hasn't reset things back to zero again for the PS5. If I have to ask for folders on day one...

over it head through a wall GIF 

I don't foresee that being an issue. PS4 to PS5 isn't a massive platform change. It's still all x86 so they can easily built on what they have. That is one good thing about Microsoft not really changing the UI between generations. There is at least immediate familiarity with the system upon boot-up.

30 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Oh God the first look at the UI...etc is going to come from Youtubers isn't it? Oh GOD. 

:Psycho:

I, for one, look forward to the informative insights these talented individuals will share about their experience, along with a peppering of anti-Semitic jokes. 

35 minutes ago, JFo said:

I, for one, look forward to the informative insights these talented individuals will share about their experience, along with a peppering of anti-Semitic jokes. 

Would they send them too Marques Brownlee and iJustine do you think, or just gaming influencers? Those two I don't mind.

You guys need to seriously purge your youtube channels cause you're actively watching garbage. I watch a variety of youtube content creators that do pretty fantastic content that generally outshines most of the shit that we get from official channels. Not to mention that Digital Foundry is a Youtube "influencer" if not one of the most influential out there for technical issues in games. The general disdain for Youtubers in this thread is misguided as fuck.

• Like 1

I literally just bloody posted that if they send one out to some decent tech Youtubers that'd be good!

I like plenty of Youtubers. Gaming wises Sterling, Easy Allies and Digital Foundry are the only gaming related channels I watch though (and a couple of those retro ones you like). Never felt the need to go looking for more to be honest, and hate that Youtube's algorithm will plague me with some of the most obnoxious ones if I do (it's like typing Star Wars into Youtube. Do it only if you want the recommended feed to turn into a sewer). 

DF seemed a little concerned last week that they couldn't get a PS5 ordered, even showing some frustration that they might have nothing to report by the time it releases in most territories since Europe will get it a week later, so I hope Sony have been in touch with Richard by now. We know Microsoft are on good terms with them so no worries there. 

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I literally just bloody posted that if they send one out to some decent tech Youtubers that'd be good!

I like plenty of Youtubers. Gaming wises Sterling, Easy Allies and Digital Foundry are the only gaming related channels I watch though (and a couple of those retro ones you like). Never felt the need to go looking for more to be honest, and hate that Youtube's algorithm will plague me with some of the most obnoxious ones if I do (it's like typing Star Wars into Youtube. Do it only if you want the recommended feed to turn into a sewer). 

DF seemed a little concerned last week that they couldn't get a PS5 ordered, even showing some frustration that they might have nothing to report by the time it releases in most territories since Europe will get it a week later, so I hope Sony have been in touch with Richard by now. We know Microsoft are on good terms with them so no worries there. 

I'm dumbfounded that they are not given a system outright. I mean, its Digital Foundry. Same for the likes of say Geoff Keighly. You could make the partiality argument but hell if all manufacturers are giving them to you....

You should check out Alanah Pearce's Youtube channel. She does regular "Let's Play" style content but also a regular podcast (called Play, Watch, Listen) with Troy Baker, Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone) and Austin Wintory discussing industry news and trends. 

Greg Miller and the "Kinda Funny Games" channel is pretty good as well. Lots of podcast content on the different news happening around.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Would they send them too Marques Brownlee and iJustine do you think, or just gaming influencers? Those two I don't mind.

I guarantee that both of them will get the new consoles early. And yes, I would be happy to watch their reactions.

30 minutes ago, Romier S said:

You guys need to seriously purge your youtube channels cause you're actively watching garbage. I watch a variety of youtube content creators that do pretty fantastic content that generally outshines most of the shit that we get from official channels. Not to mention that Digital Foundry is a Youtube "influencer" if not one of the most influential out there for technical issues in games. The general disdain for Youtubers in this thread is misguided as fuck.

chilling chill out GIF

It was just a joke. 😀

I actually watch a lot of great stuff on YouTube as well. In addition to the ones you mentioned, I'll add Easy Allies, Game Maker's Toolkit, Extra Credits, and Jim Sterling.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm dumbfounded that they are not given a system outright. I mean, its Digital Foundry. Same for the likes of say Geoff Keighly. You could make the partiality argument but hell if all manufacturers are giving them to you....

You should check out Alanah Pearce's Youtube channel. She does regular "Let's Play" style content but also a regular podcast (called Play, Watch, Listen) with Troy Baker, Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone) and Austin Wintory discussing industry news and trends. 

Greg Miller and the "Kinda Funny Games" channel is pretty good as well. Lots of podcast content on the different news happening around.

It was strange seeing Keighly struggling to get both PS5 and XB orders in. I can only guess that he's simply not going to assume he'll get a free one, so does what the rest of us have to do until he knows otherwise. That may also be true of DF with the PS5 (and also in the case of a channel like that where the lead host is in the UK, and the other two in Germany, they'd know they're only ever going to get sent one, if any, so John and Alex would still have to ensure they could get their own orders in I suspect).

I forgot Alanah Pearce. I do like her stuff too. I also forgot Kyle Bosman's channel since he went solo. *edit* and Game makers Toolkit as well. That's a good call, Jeff. Noclip too, and People Make Games is a great little channel. 

Miller.... He's too loud for me. :) 

Because Nobody asked, I don't generally watch Jim Sterling (though I do find it amusing at times and generally agree with the high level sentiment of the company behavior he's against, but I generally dislike the tone and presentation) or Easy Allies (now Bosman I'll watch) but the rest of the group is... not my style (I'll still watch stuff here and there)

clint eastwood kids GIF

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

When's Romier starting a channel. That's what we all really want to know. 

Never. If gaming ever became anything close to a job or monetized for me, I’d stop doing it. 

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

I don't watch a lot of gaming stuff on YouTube, except for DF and some sim rally drivers. Almost all my experience with "influencers" on YT is around synthesizers, and I have to say, they are basically all awesome people that I wouldn't mind having as friends. Well, maybe aside from one, but not because he's a racist or misogynist, just because he seems a little arrogant.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

over it head through a wall GIF 

That's one of the funniest GIFs I've seen in a while, that must be Carol Burnett, what a genius!

10 hours ago, Romier S said:

Also, this was the first look we got at the PS4 UI (most of it game footage, too!):

We didn't get an actual full on walkthrough until the day before release:

While this wasn't an actual UI walkthrough, I do remember we at least got a glimpse of it and its features earlier at E3: 

"Niigh Sarah!"

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

So let me get this straight... you gotta go to the store to pre-order a console, in the middle of a pandemic...right.

Tom Cruise What GIF

Don't they link to the Gamestop website right in the tweet?

20 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Don't they link to the Gamestop website right in the tweet?

They do, I wonder if any other retailers will also have something soon. Here's hoping amazon has some more allocation.

Edit: It seems to be happening: