LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

Posted Images

Have we heard if the PS5's drive has to be removed to be upgraded, or if there is an expansion slot? Supposedly this drive might work, but not sure of the point if you'd have to remove the 800GB drive already there. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1593680-REG/samsung_mz_v8p1t0b_am_1tb_980_pro_pcie.html/?ap=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YfX2c2F7AIVE4TICh0X6wzdEAQYASABEgLr0PD_BwE

20 hours ago, King of All Cosmos said:

I have no idea what any of that means.

Summarized: It’s an ultra fast method of compressing textures. The ultra fast I/O speed of the PS5’s architecture alongside the dedicated “ Kraken” compression hardware in the PS5 AND the already insane speeds of the SSD, gives the CPU and GPU even less to manage . Thus freeing them up for more interesting things like better AI or even better visuals.

It could also lead to smaller game sizes given how good the compression techniques are. Keep in mind that the tech is available for most platforms and the Series X has its own independent hardware compression as well. However, the speed of Sony’s SSD and its I/O design give it some distinct advantages. Along with the fact that Sony have essentially bought licenses for all PS4 and PS5 developers means we will likely see its use result in real world improvements in the games we play on the platform.

• Excellent 1

By the way, if you want a real world example, Warframe’s new update moves the game over to use the Oodle tech....

Yes, the pictures are identical. That’s the point. 15GB shaved off with no discernible hit to texture quality. Now combine that with a blazing fast I/O architecture that can decompress texture data at 8-9Gbps. When developers wrap their heads around optimizing that, they can start to swap in and out high quality assets in-game at will with minimal stress to the GPU. It’s pretty exciting stuff for all platforms, frankly.

• Like 3

I have had no luck getting a preorder. I got as close as the complete payment screen. I have started to resign myself to the fact I will probably not be there day one for a console launch since before the original PlayStation.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Paul said:

I have had no luck getting a preorder. I got as close as the complete payment screen. I have started to resign myself to the fact I will probably not be there day one for a console launch since before the original PlayStation.

Same.