LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Good news! Amazon somehow found my PS5 and delivered it this afternoon. Bad news! It doesn't fit in my current TV cabinet. I knew this was going to happen so I ordered a new one a month ago and i

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Posted Images

Some fairly major changes to the PS4 interface with 8.00 as they get ready for PS5:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/14/ps4-system-software-update-8-00-launching-today/

Also of note was their update:

UPDATE: Following this update, users are seeing a notification about Party Safety and that voice chats in parties may be recorded. Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review. The pop up you’re seeing on PS4 right now is to let you know that when you participate in a chat with a PS5 user (post-launch), they may submit those recordings from their PS5 console to SIE.

Nothing could go wrong there from the company that was once caught storing customer passwords in plain text.

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

I don’t have much of an issue allowing folks to submit the stuff for complaint but Sony needs to be damned transparent about what they’re doing with that data once their “review” is done.

Edit: It does appear that something similar has been in place since 2013...

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/1376/20131112/sony-reserves-right-to-record-ps4-users-voice-chats-or-text-messages-over-psn.htm

On 10/12/2020 at 9:01 PM, kelley said:

also what is up with bad fast food restaurants doing console promos, why can’t Cracker Barrel do one, chance to win a PS5 with every order of Mac & Cheese or Mama’s Pancake Breakfast.

Cracker Barrel is a brand of cheese here (no restaurants) so I was confused for a minute with this comment. I thought you must really love cheese. 

16 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd definitely like a Wishlist with prompts were anything to go on sale. I wasn't aware Microsoft did that on Xbox. That's good to know. 

Nintendo kinda does this too. They occasionally let you know when games on sale, but only one. 

13 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

You misspelled Grandpa's Country Fried Breakfast. TM.

I was once with you and then they changed the chicken fried chicken and now I wish nothing but a long painful case of diarrhea for whoever made that decision. 

It's really interesting. I'd need to get a feel for it in use to get a sense of how intuitive things are as it seems a little busy at first glance. Limited in how many button presses are required to hop from one thing to another which is good, but perhaps a bit too much scrolling to find what you're looking for? Again, I don't think I can have any opinion either way just from watching the demo. It's lovely and quick though. 

I like that the store is baked into the system now and not running as its own app. 

One thing occurred to me with both this and Series X is, quick resume is rendered somewhat moot if you own physical copies isn't it? You're surely always going to be presented with a prompt to insert a disc for verification when ever you go to hop back into a title.

I like it. Very much an evolution of the PS4 interface on the home side but in game it takes on a whole new system with the cards. As a more casual gamer these days I love the idea of the hint cards and what all you can do with them. Speech to text is great for sending messages. 

The picture and picture/picture in picture card features are perhaps my favourite thing there. Brilliant touch. I also really like that you can bring up an estimate for how long it might take you to finish a level/achieve a goal. That's useful if you're pressed for time, knowing you have to stop playing, but might be able to squeeze in getting one last thing before shutting off the game.

Sackboy also seems to have a really lovely soundtrack too. :) 

7 minutes ago, OldDarth said:

Sweet! In game help without having to leave the game. 

That right there is genius, but it'll only be as good as the content they get in there. If they can get ahead of the YouTubers with this stuff (or sign them), it makes sense. I'm clearly not the only person who pulls up YouTube walkthroughs at certain points of games when I can't figure things out.

I hadn't even thought of them potentially opening that feature up to Youtube. If not that, then allowing PS5 users themselves to upload a guide onto Sony's own servers that you could pull up side by side could be a really nice community feature, or bring up live video feed from a friend playing the same game, having already completed a task or level you're on, and being able to guide you through it.

Also....

8-D92-E4-B5-C570-4908-BBAB-DAA80-D60713- 

Between that notice and this:

3sGhwRr.png 

It seems as though there is some level of multiple game suspension/quick resume happening here as well. Perhaps not as robust as Microsoft's offering but for those that see it as a useful feature...

I really dug the PiP stuff as well by the way.