LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Good news! Amazon somehow found my PS5 and delivered it this afternoon. Bad news! It doesn't fit in my current TV cabinet. I knew this was going to happen so I ordered a new one a month ago and i

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Romier S said:

You know, @Angry the Clown, the game help stuff and activities might be the best way to finally get into a Souls game with Demon's Souls.:)

Funnily enough I had the very same thought.  

It's actually always been on my list to buy (I really want to give these games a good try), but only once the price is right. 

FYI... Sony patented the direct to game booting and activities earlier this year.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps5-direct-gameplay-menu-feature/

I saw it reported way back when but there was a lot of speculation about what it meant for PS5. Now we know.

Cerny:

Speaking to Wired in October 2019, Cerny confirmed PS5 will feature a “completely revamped” interface which will allow players to boot directly into multiplayer games and display joinable online activities in real-time.

“Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don’t want the player to have to boot the game, see what’s up, boot the game, see what’s up,” Cerny said.

“Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time.

“Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.”

29 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

They put together a response on the chat recording/reporting feature:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/16/details-on-new-voice-chat-functionality-coming-to-ps5/

Basically when a user files a report they can send up to 40 seconds from the party chat. Only the last 5 mins are available to select from. 

Too Big Brother-ish for me. Soon only Newspeak will be allowed.   "You double-plus Ungood uh, uh, ....Comrade!"

Hope Xbox doesn't go in for this bullshit.

Carlos.

4 minutes ago, Romier S said:

would like to hear more about what happens to those shared chats once the review is done

The Sony employee steals a recording of it,  and gives it to his shady scam-center friends along with other identifying info, who threaten to dox you unless you pay a shakedown bribe?  

Carlos.

27 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

The Sony employee steals a recording of it,  and gives it to his shady scam-center friends along with other identifying info, who threaten to dox you unless you pay a shakedown bribe?  

Carlos.

More like Sony gets hacked and a repository of short conversations make it out onto the web, etc. That’s of greater concern, frankly but the possibility remains remote. The hope is that Sony has learned their lesson in the intervening years but the Sony isn’t alone in this particular area. An Amazon Echo records far more possibly debilitating shit in an hour than Sony will ever amass in a console generation and AWS hasn’t been immune to the activity of the worlds hackers, etc.

The possibility of Sony constantly recording chat sessions which was the initial reporting was a much, much bigger problem from a general privacy standpoint that I commented on earlier. This doesn’t even register for me.

These days, I’m rarely in a chat and if I’m online I don’t even have a mic connected cause I have no want to play with the masses. If I’m in an actual group chat it’s with the folks here and well, report away.;)

9 minutes ago, Romier S said:

More like Sony gets hacked and a repository of short conversations make it out onto the web, etc. That’s of greater concern, frankly but the possibility remains remote. The hope is that Sony has learned their lesson in the intervening years but the Sony isn’t alone in this particular area. An Amazon Echo records far more possibly debilitating shit in an hour than Sony will ever amass in a console generation and AWS hasn’t been immune to the activity of the worlds hackers, etc.

The possibility of Sony constantly recording chat sessions which was the initial reporting was a much, much bigger problem from a general privacy standpoint that I commented on earlier. This doesn’t even register for me.

These days, I’m rarely in a chat and if I’m online I don’t even have a mic connected cause I have no want to play with the masses. If I’m in an actual group chat it’s with the folks here and well, report away.;)

I miss the good old days when only the NSA had a recording of everything we say.   

Carlos. 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

You do now since the controller is a microphone.  :D

I love it. The fewer people dropping verbal threats, racism, and other awful things in voice chat the better. What you do on a private company’s network is not protected free speech. Any notions of “privacy” on PSN and XBL are foolish.

This might make me actually be open to online gaming with voice chat again. Last time i tried it it was a barrage of racism, homophobia, and awfulness.

Check the “Switcher” icon next to home when Sackboy starts (it’s a set of three folders):

dNF96uU.gif

When they switch to All Stars, it never asks to close out of Sackboy ala the PS4. Again, it’s more evidence that there is some level of quick resume functionality here. It’s odd Sony didn’t bother to highlight it but then they didn’t bother to announce preorder details at the showcase announcing the price and other simple details so....

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I keep wondering what the Uncharted Lost Legacy icon you can see in the top right during the demo signifies. Is that an indicator that you've got a friend playing it (as shown elsewhere in the demo) or something? At 9mins 11s into the video it's the second to last icon on the main menu. 

You mean on the home screen? It just looks as though they have Uncharted installed on the PS5 and it can be played like any other game from the home screen. Unless I’m not understanding?

8 hours ago, Romier S said:

You mean on the home screen? It just looks as though they have Uncharted installed on the PS5 and it can be played like any other game from the home screen. Unless I’m not understanding?

It probably is that simple, yes. If you put games into a folder on PS4 was the folder thumbnail the most recent game played? It's been so long since I used a PS4 I can't remember.