LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

20 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’m very curious to know where the PS5 will sit compared to the Series X performance. I can’t help but wonder if PS5 will end up marginally less powerful, but with that (likely negligible) “downside” being leveraged by a potentially lower price and the insanely powerful catalogue of games and anticipated sequels. 

There's been a wide range of rumors on this, but the most credible ones seem to be that one of the consoles will be slightly more powerful than the other and there's no clear consensus on which one it will be. The PS5 will likely have faster SSD.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a pre-order in with Target.

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

Posted Images

I truly think that the differences in power will be mostly negligible this next generation and more importantly, I think we'll see a continuation of the mid-gen refresh strategy that will change the power dynamics much like this generation.

Curious on where Sony is putting their focus on services and overall system features and I really hope we get some game announcements. 

I wouldn't put it past Sony to show hardware either given where Microsoft is and their recent reveal.

Lead programmer at ID:

Jason Schreier on resetera:

I can confirm that this Cerny thing has been in the works for a bit. They had been planning to do a PS5 thing at GDC. Also, soon we'll have confirmation of what I've been saying all along -- that both of these machines are extremely powerful -- and then maybe everyone here will stop tagging me in all these dumb next-gen console rumor posts. Teraflops be damned

It will be interesting to see not only what, but how, Sony does their reveal. With Microsoft having laid their cards on the table, Sony can really tailor their presentation to steal the media spotlight.

"He who laughs last, laughs best."

54 minutes ago, OldDarth said:

It will be interesting to see not only what, but how, Sony does their reveal. With Microsoft having laid their cards on the table, Sony can really tailor their presentation to steal the media spotlight.

It will be interesting to see how Sony chooses the present the information. Will it follow the format of their recent State of Play presentations? Will Cerny appear on the video as a talking head to go over all the specs? What will the tone of the presentation be? So many questions! Thankfully, we don’t have to wait long to find out.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

If Knack 3 doesn’t show, we riot.

Yes, but if you do riot, please try to wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer so as to not spread COVID-19.

Flatten the curve, people. We’re in this together!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Via the medium... of dance!

If this is indeed a GDC presentation, I'm expecting a relatively dry technical run through of the console and features. I'm expecting some to walk away disappointed that this wasn't a redux of the PS4 reveal which had games and demos, etc. I could be wrong but yeah....

Yes, at most I honestly think we might simply see some of the UI and PS4 games running to highlight the SSD (just as we've seen with the Series X). Basically, "here's this stuff we've already been showing to some tech journalists behind closed doors, plus here is the system spec". 

I still don't think we'll "see" the PS5 today, but given how everything has been thrown in the air they might drop a tease and reveal the design at the very end.

5 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

It says 52:45 for a second when the video loads in.

You have to give Sony at least three minutes of padding time.:)

So my prediction here is that the PS5 spec will likely provide less teraflops than the Series X but will also feature a faster SSD and focus more on speed on the I/O so in the end the machines will be fairly comparable in performance. The console warriors will implode and chest thump about teraflop numbers like its the old "bit" days despite DF and other tech outlets telling folks for months now that TF's are not the end all be all number in measuring performance. 

I read a post by someone on Era that stated the Nvidia 2080ti is 10TF so anything above that is fine. 10 TF on a Turing GPU is not the same as 10TF on an RDNA 2 GPU.

32 minutes ago, Romier S said:

You have to give Sony at least three minutes of padding time.:)

So my prediction here is that the PS5 spec will likely provide less teraflops than the Series X but will also feature a faster SSD and focus more on speed on the I/O so in the end the machines will be fairly comparable in performance. The console warriors will implode and chest thump about teraflop numbers like its the old "bit" days despite DF and other tech outlets telling folks for months now that TF's are not the end all be all number in measuring performance. 

I read a post by someone on Era that stated the Nvidia 2080ti is 10TF so anything above that is fine. 10 TF on a Turing GPU is not the same as 10TF on an RDNA 2 GPU.

Sounds very plausible :)

Maybe they'll add an additional 4GB RAM like in the PS4 announcement :)

• Like 1

Neat, custom RAD tools Kraken decompressor h/w. 

Coherency between cores is also nice - back when I worked on TI OMAp SOcs... the lack of this killed our perf in comparison to Qualcomm, which did have cache coherency between the cores.

• JFo changed the title to The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital