LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s out for delivery. I have to work all day so my son came over to wait while I’m not there.    edit: and delivered!! Now just 6 more hours of work to go....☹️

My Christmas just got a little better...    

If the total cost for both the PS5 and Series X is under $1,000 (excluding tax), I will likely buy both this year because, fuck it, I’m a grown up with a job, and I want them.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

Right after to keep my PS5 baby safe. And yeah it's texas :)

I swear I've been to your house. Actually, my aunt lives in Alvin. And I went for a long walk one time, walked by quite a few houses, and they all had that exact same fence. It was like the town got a fence groupon or something and were fencing up for the zombie apocalypse. But now I know they were just protecting their game consoles.

8 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I was waiting for something like "put a rubber glove on your head and run naked around the house yelling: 'Hi, I'm a squid!'" Only THEN, do you have my permission to plug it in.

Speaking of which, I forget — do you have a PS4? If so, I highly recommend transferring the data from the PS4 to your PS5 at the start up process so you can transfer all your save data over. I didn’t do that until later, and it caused some havoc for me as save data won’t transfer if you have one on the PS5

30 minutes ago, JFo said:

Speaking of which, I forget — do you have a PS4? If so, I highly recommend transferring the data from the PS4 to your PS5 at the start up process so you can transfer all your save data over. I didn’t do that until later, and it caused some havoc for me as save data won’t transfer if you have one on the PS5

Isn’t there a way to do or over the network? That seems the best of you can do that.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:47 PM, Romier S said:

The interface is beautiful and smooth as butter. The ambient music is super relaxing, too! It’s missing some key stuff that really sticks out (folders, transferring PS5 to extended storage, etc.) but as a base to build on? This is much stronger than the PS4 at launch. I like that you can bring up the PlayStation ribbon anywhere in the interface with a tap of PS button, a lot.

I agree new UI is quite nice. Everything seems to be layed out very logically. I also like the ribbon as well it’s pretty nifty.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, Romier S said:

Wired here. I never felt like the PS4 was slow for me but man, I’m downloading 8-10gb’s in a few minutes like it’s nothing. I put the Demon’s Souls disc in the drive during setup and by the time I had finished formatting the extended storage and setting a few PS4 games to download, it had installed and the patch was more than 70% done (it’s about 10gb).

I noticed the download speeds as well, I didn’t timed them but seemed very speedy - faster than Xbox on release date for sure.

I haven’t spent much more than an hour with the system, but aside from getting used to all the menus and such, I really like it.

The DualSense is epic and minor tweaks I’d make aside, it’s a perfect evolution of the DualShocks.

One thing I forgot in all the hype is that I’ve been using a PS4 the whole time and not a Pro, so there’s a level of fidelity here that for me is light years beyond what I’m used to.

And, really, the little improvements like how fast the cursor moves when you’re typing out a password are almost worth the price. QoL shit like that is my jam.

Current place of worship is the living room, but it’s headed to the man cave in a couple days to live with the 4K tv and I am VERY excited for that.

A9406DBD-633C-4C2E-9A0E-34826F49C23B.thumb.jpeg.eada6c1658dbbdee596fe52f796d12ff.jpeg

Saves are immediately uploaded to your PS+ storage instead of waiting until you initiate rest mode as it is on PS4. There were certain instances on PS4 where downloading your save from the previous night to overwrite your current session was handy. You also can’t backup a PS5 save to a USB drive so save manipulation might be one for the history books. 

3 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Saves are immediately uploaded to your PS+ storage instead of waiting until you initiate rest mode as it is on PS4. There were certain instances on PS4 where downloading your save from the previous night to overwrite your current session was handy. You also can’t backup a PS5 save to a USB drive so save manipulation might be one for the history books. 

About time  - I think MS got it right last gen where any user had cloud saves and seamless syncing.

The initial setup was pretty smooth. I liked how you could use the PS app for it much like the Xbox setup.

The controller was not pre-paired with the console like Xbox was.

I liked how the PS5 logged me in and started downloading Astro for me so I would have something to play immediately. It also didn’t bother me about a controller update until I turned on the console the second time.

The PS5  FW update was smaller than the Xbox and games seems to have downloaded faster. 

One annoying thing is if I already had a disc installed version of a game in the PS+ collection it doesn’t let me install the “non disc version” until I delete it. If I try to start it tells me to insert disc. I don’t recall MS doing that with gamepass titles (I think it just starts them if already installed) but maybe I’m wrong?