LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Christmas just got a little better...    

It’s out for delivery. I have to work all day so my son came over to wait while I’m not there.    edit: and delivered!! Now just 6 more hours of work to go....☹️

Good news! Amazon somehow found my PS5 and delivered it this afternoon. Bad news! It doesn't fit in my current TV cabinet. I knew this was going to happen so I ordered a new one a month ago and i

Posted Images

So apparently my PS5 (I am assuming) downloaded over 400GB of data on the day I got it. I’m not sure how that happened as the only games I downloaded were Spider-Man Remastered, BugSnax, Jedi: Fallen Order and MKX.... and I think I actually downloaded some of those the day after. 

The only thing I can think is that it had to download updates for all the PS4 games I had on an external drive, and those updates were actually (or close to) the full games? If that is the case, I’m not sure what the point of moving them to an external drive from the PS4 was. 

Anyone heard anything like that? Or know of anyway to see download history?

44 minutes ago, Graeme said:

So apparently my PS5 (I am assuming) downloaded over 400GB of data on the day I got it. I’m not sure how that happened as the only games I downloaded were Spider-Man Remastered, BugSnax, Jedi: Fallen Order and MKX.... and I think I actually downloaded some of those the day after. 

The only thing I can think is that it had to download updates for all the PS4 games I had on an external drive, and those updates were actually (or close to) the full games? If that is the case, I’m not sure what the point of moving them to an external drive from the PS4 was. 

I posted this on Twitter the other day, but here is a graph of my data usage from last week:

IMG_2184.thumb.jpeg.e7ff2a36117eed090738cda1a56b9eb4.jpeg

Can you guess which day my PS5 and Series X arrived?

Now, some of that is for new games that I downloaded for PS5 (Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy, and Bugsnax) and some of it is for updates to games optimized for Series X (Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5). However, that doesn't account for all the data I used that day. I don't have a readout of exactly how much data my PS5 used in total, but I do remember seeing a bunch of notifications that said the PS5 was updating most every PS4 game on my external drive in some fashion. I suspect this is why I sucked up so much data that one day.

Conversely, the Series X did not update all the games I have. For games optimized for Series X, it only downloaded the updates when I tried to play them.

On a side note, it looks like I might have downloaded the PS4 version of Miles Morales to my external drive. Did this happened for anyone else? If so, that's presumably another 60 GBs of data used for a version of a game that I don't need in any way.

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I did notice my PS5 initially downloaded a bunch of updates for the external drive games. Some of those games were installed from discs, so I still have some items in the download queue that are asking for the disc. I haven't checked how much data it consumed though.

2 hours ago, JFo said:

I posted this on Twitter the other day, but here is a graph of my data usage from last week:

IMG_2184.thumb.jpeg.e7ff2a36117eed090738cda1a56b9eb4.jpeg

Can you guess which day my PS5 and Series X arrived?

Now, some of that is for new games that I downloaded for PS5 (Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy, and Bugsnax) and some of it is for updates to games optimized for Series X (Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5). However, that doesn't account for all the data I used that day. I don't have a readout of exactly how much data my PS5 used in total, but I do remember seeing a bunch of notifications that said the PS5 was updating most every PS4 game on my external drive in some fashion. I suspect this is why I sucked up so much data that one day.

Conversely, the Series X did not update all the games I have. For games optimized for Series X, it only downloaded the updates when I tried to play them.

On a side note, it looks like I might have downloaded the PS4 version of Miles Morales to my external drive. Did this happened for anyone else? If so, that's presumably another 60 GBs of data used for a version of a game that I don't need in any way.

That looks like my data usage almost exactly. WTF?? My upload amount is even way higher than normal. 

I might see if I can test with another game when my data resets (cause apparently I'm already over) and see if it is downloading huge updates.

Really itching for some Rally action after playing Dirt 5, which is fun but super casual. 

I see WRC 9 is out for the PS5 (cross-gen, obviously), it’s tempting. But I’m having trouble verifying if my T300 wheel is supported or not. 

Just to check on wheel support for PS4 games, I fired up WRC 8, and while the wheel worked fine, the game does not run well. The frame rate looks like ~20 FPS, which is barely playable (it ran great on the PS4, so I’d consider this a failure in backward compatibility). 

That spurred me to check Dirt Rally 2, which thankfully runs flawlessly. 

I’m tempted to try WRC 9, but I want to know for sure if my wheel is supported. Not finding any confirmation yet. 

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Arrived, unboxed and plugged in but not yet switched on or set up. I'll save that for after lunch.

It's every bit as ludicrous as I had hoped though.

Did you record an unboxing video in which you yell at the camera the whole time? Seems like something you'd do.

The EU PSN servers must be getting hammered as my downloads are certainly not reflective of my internet connection and wifi6 set up. 

Love everything so far though. System is cool and quiet. I'd seen some reports of coil whine on some units but there's no sign of that on my unit. Only thing that hasn't really impressed me like I hoped is the 3D audio, though I have only tried Astro so far. Hopefully that will evolve over time. 

The Dualsense is probably the DS pad perfected for me. Just filling it out, and adding some weight, makes it at huge upgrade over the DS4. 

Think I am going to be just fine with the available SSD space for quite some time. I'm throwing quite a lot on there right now and will still have plenty remaining.

There's no library management in the UI yet is there? It'd be nice to be able to remove listings of old betas and demos that are not backward compatible from displaying in the library. I'm glad I can still download Driveclub if I want to though (if only the devs were still around to unlock it to 60fps).

It's been nice to get re-acquainted with my PS+ backlog as there are things I'd forgotten I'd even redeemed.

I've had an absolute blast playing through Astro. I'm saving Miles Morales for tomorrow.

Back from the dead boys and [Bernie Sanders] I am once again asking for your assistance [/Bernie]. 

Long story short - I had a PS5 en route from Walmart. I redirected it for a FedEx OnSite hold.  FedEx fucked that up and sent it back to the Walmart fulfillment center and because nobody has any drop of common sense they can’t send it back to me even though it’s literally sitting there with my name on it as I’m typing this out.    

This is a complete shot in the dark but if anyone ends up with an extra standard version of the PS5 I’ll buy it from you. I know someone here sold me their brand new Wii at cost when they first released and were impossible to find, just kinda hoping for the same kind of luck. 

Hope everyone is well. It’s good to see familiar faces still around here. 

12 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Arrived, unboxed and plugged in but not yet switched on or set up. I'll save that for after lunch.

It's every bit as ludicrous as I had hoped though.

Im glad you got it so quick.... but irrationally I’m annoyed that you were “complaining” about having to wait an extra week, and got it 3 days after me.