LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

Good news! Amazon somehow found my PS5 and delivered it this afternoon. Bad news! It doesn't fit in my current TV cabinet. I knew this was going to happen so I ordered a new one a month ago and i

Posted Images

My controller stopped glowing after about 90mins connected to Switch dock, so I fired up the PS5 and it showed two bars on the pad, so it still wasn't fully charged despite the light going out but it's a step in the right direction. I then used the console's cable with an iPhone adapter into the mains and it resumed the orange charge glow... 🤷‍♂️ We'll see how that goes and whether it bumps it to 100%. 

I’ve heard it not getting above 2 bars from other people who have been having charging problems.

I have also seen a few complaints from people who cannot pair their PS4 accessories with the PS5 through a cable (It worked fine for me). Putting the controller into pairing mode and pairing it over Bluetooth worked for at least one person. 

It seems we really are beta testers this time around. 

So I subscribed to PSNow for a year last night with the sale that is going on. 

This has quietly become a pretty impressive service. Ya, it doesn’t have brand new releases on it like Gamepass, and Sony should probably add some more higher profile PS4 games, but there is a good selection, and being able to download PS4 games makes it more comparable to Gamepass. The selection of PS3 games is super impressive, and while streaming might not be the best way to play a game, it is great to have access to them. 

Combine this with the free PS+ games and PS+ Collection and there is quite an amazing catalog of games available. 

So what did I do with my brand new $600 game machine last night? I played a a Master System Alex Kidd game and some Atari 2600 games. 

(I also played Miles Morales)

Thanks to Romier for showing me how voice chat and share play worked this evening. It's a bit of a fiddle getting to where you need to get to for accessing those features and Sony definitely need to work on making things clearer and quicker in that respect, but the features themselves are remarkably seamless once up and running.

I had his live play of Sackboy pinned to to my screen as I played Miles Morales, and he had my live play pinned as he played Sackboy. I even switched to view his feed in full screen a couple of times. It's really quite brilliant and a great application for friends wanting to help one another in a game as Romier and Cameron already tried with Demon's Souls, and it's also a nice way for a friend to demo a game for another friend. There's probably even potential for a load of friends to goof around together sharing a stream and chat during a play through of something like Until Dawn too. 

One thing to add to the UI wishlist though is when in a voice chat it'd be good to have separate audio management for chat and game volume as there seems to be no other option than for it to send both to headphones (likewise, options to send audio for chat to headphones and game audio to TV/Receiver would be good too).

37 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

One thing to add to the UI wishlist though is when in a voice chat it'd be good to have separate audio management for chat and game volume as there seems to be no other option than for it to send both to headphones (likewise, options to send audio for chat to headphones and game audio to TV/Receiver would be good too).

I found how to fix that. Go into the systems settings menu and then audio. There is an option there to send only chat to headphones while all game audio is run through your amp/TV.

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I had his live play of Sackboy pinned to to my screen as I played Miles Morales, and he had my live play pinned as he played Sackboy. I even switched to view his feed in full screen a couple of times. It's really quite brilliant and a great application for friends wanting to help one another in a game as Romier and Cameron already tried with Demon's Souls,

Are you able to both play the same game at the same time? 

Anyone messed with account sharing on PS5 yet? Does it work like PS4? Assuming you have shared an account, can you play that account’s games under your PSN ID while they play the game under theirs? Curious as my daughter and I use this on PS4 but I haven’t read much on how this works on PS5. 

So here’s a nice little bonus. I’ve moved my PS4 Pro to the living room, so I am trying to maximize the games available for both (IE I’ll probably buy Sackboy on PS4 with the PS5 upgrade).

The PS Plus Collection is only for PS5, but just like a PS Plus freebie, or a PS Now game, if you add a game to your library, it is available in your PS4 library as well. 

1 hour ago, Magness said:

Anyone messed with account sharing on PS5 yet? Does it work like PS4? Assuming you have shared an account, can you play that account’s games under your PSN ID while they play the game under theirs? Curious as my daughter and I use this on PS4 but I haven’t read much on how this works on PS5. 

Yes it works the same. There is also an option to disable game sharing if you so desire.

Not that it’s PS5-related, but I thought I would follow up on my post from earlier about my internet data cap. Xfinity informed me this afternoon  that I’ve gone over my data limit for the month, which is great because now I can look forward to them sending me daily emails telling me I’m over my limit, and how much I’m over my limit, and boy, shouldn’t I feel guilty about it. It’s all right though because I now get one curtesy month per year for going over my limit, and since this is the first time I’ve done so this year, I won’t be charged extra for the excess data I use.

I had thought about trying to minimize the amount of data I use for the rest of November so that I could save my curtesy month for December when my family and I are home a bunch and would (presumably) use more data. However, I just realized that with the amount of data I had already used, it was going to be very difficult to not go over anyway. So, I said the hell with it, and just started downloading games like crazy thanks to the PS Plus Collection, Game Pass, and Black Friday sales. I might as well get all my game downloads done now so that I can enjoy them without having to worry about the data usage next month when we’ll want to save it for things like streaming and web browsing.

18 minutes ago, JFo said:

Not that it’s PS5-related, but I thought I would follow up on my post from earlier about my internet data cap. Xfinity informed me this afternoon  that I’ve gone over my data limit for the month, which is great because now I can look forward to them sending me daily emails telling me I’m over my limit, and how much I’m over my limit, and boy, shouldn’t I feel guilty about it. It’s all right though because I now get one curtesy month per year for going over my limit, and since this is the first time I’ve done so this year, I won’t be charged extra for the excess data I use.

I had thought about trying to minimize the amount of data I use for the rest of November so that I could save my curtesy month for December when my family and I are home a bunch and would (presumably) use more data. However, I just realized that with the amount of data I had already used, it was going to be very difficult to not go over anyway. So, I said the hell with it, and just started downloading games like crazy thanks to the PS Plus Collection, Game Pass, and Black Friday sales. I might as well get all my game downloads done now so that I can enjoy them without having to worry about the data usage next month when we’ll want to save it for things like streaming and web browsing.

Pretty much why I’ll never pay Comcast a dime if I don’t have to. Verizon isn’t exactly customer friendly but data caps aren’t a thing with Fios so they get my money by default.

16 hours ago, Romier S said:

Pretty much why I’ll never pay Comcast a dime if I don’t have to. Verizon isn’t exactly customer friendly but data caps aren’t a thing with Fios so they get my money by default.

When we moved, having access to a no data cap fiber network was top of my list. I now pay $45 a month for 1Gb fiber with no data cap. That's compared to the $120 I was paying Comcast for their 940Mb "gigabit" plan with a data cap on it.