LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

18 hours ago, JFo said:

Not that it’s PS5-related, but I thought I would follow up on my post from earlier about my internet data cap. Xfinity informed me this afternoon  that I’ve gone over my data limit for the month, which is great because now I can look forward to them sending me daily emails telling me I’m over my limit, and how much I’m over my limit, and boy, shouldn’t I feel guilty about it. It’s all right though because I now get one curtesy month per year for going over my limit, and since this is the first time I’ve done so this year, I won’t be charged extra for the excess data I use.

I had thought about trying to minimize the amount of data I use for the rest of November so that I could save my curtesy month for December when my family and I are home a bunch and would (presumably) use more data. However, I just realized that with the amount of data I had already used, it was going to be very difficult to not go over anyway. So, I said the hell with it, and just started downloading games like crazy thanks to the PS Plus Collection, Game Pass, and Black Friday sales. I might as well get all my game downloads done now so that I can enjoy them without having to worry about the data usage next month when we’ll want to save it for things like streaming and web browsing.

I pay the extra $15 or whatever it is to have unlimited data.  It sucks that I have to do that as their data cap is stupid, but that's where I'm at.

You guys who have decent options outside of Comcast are lucky.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Christmas just got a little better...    

It’s out for delivery. I have to work all day so my son came over to wait while I’m not there.    edit: and delivered!! Now just 6 more hours of work to go....☹️

I got a pre-order in with Target.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, PackFan said:

I pay the extra $15 or whatever it is to have unlimited data.  It sucks that I have to do that as their data cap is stupid, but that's where I'm at.

Yeah, I could pay Comcast for unlimited data as well. It's $25 monthly if I get their stupid router/wifi thing or $30 if I want to use my own equipment. Honestly, it's almost never an issue for our family. We typically use around 600-700 GB of data each month, which is well below the 1,229 GB cap we have at the moment. If we were going over that every month, I could see the benefit of adding unlimited data to our bill. As it is, if we only go over once or twice a year, the added cost isn't worth.

9 minutes ago, PackFan said:

You guys who have decent options outside of Comcast are lucky.

Yep, must be nice.

2 minutes ago, JFo said:

Yeah, I could pay Comcast for unlimited data as well. It's $25 monthly if I get their stupid router/wifi thing or $30 if I want to use my own equipment. Honestly, it's almost never an issue for our family. We typically use around 600-700 GB of data each month, which is well below the 1,229 GB cap we have at the moment. If we were going over that every month, I could see the benefit of adding unlimited data to our bill. As it is, if we only go over once or twice a year, the added cost isn't worth.

Honestly - I don't know how often I go over, but I was tired of worrying about it.

19 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Interesting design choice especially for that one memory chip. I wonder what they got in return for the designing it that way.

Also figure they could run the fan at a higher rpm if needed with it being so super silet now anyway. 

Seeing some comments questioning him removing the thermal compound from the memory to test.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

The timing is impeccable given the discussion in the thread.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/23/21591420/comcast-cap-data-1-2tb-home-users-internet-xfinity

Over the past 4 months:

Aug: 1289 GB - over the limit

Sept: 1011 GB

Oct: 1046 GB

Nov: 1462 GB and counting - over the limit

1.2 TB (which is recently up from their cap of 1 TB) is ridiculous in the age of 4K streaming and game downloads.  Even if you have to do an internet restore on a computer, you are going to likely be over the cap with the rest of your usage.  Ugh.

2 hours ago, PackFan said:

Over the past 4 months:

Aug: 1289 GB - over the limit

Sept: 1011 GB

Oct: 1046 GB

Nov: 1462 GB and counting - over the limit

1.2 TB (which is recently up from their cap of 1 TB) is ridiculous in the age of 4K streaming and game downloads.  Even if you have to do an internet restore on a computer, you are going to likely be over the cap with the rest of your usage.  Ugh.

Indeed. I feel for those that are stuck with Crapcast as a provider. Again, I'm not lauding Verizon as some bastion of customer service and effort but yeah....

I noticed something interesting. The few PS4 games I had bought via a secondary US PSN account years ago (Star Wars Battlefront amongst them), and shared to my UK account at the time, can seemingly now be downloaded from the UK store despite having not even set up my US account on my PS5 yet. I always recall my understanding of having multiple-region accounts being that you'd set one region as a kind of parent account, and buy/download what you want, then log into any other regional accounts on the same system and what you downloaded on the parent account would be there to play universally. I don't ever remember a US purchase on the same machine unlocking the same content to download from the UK store.

Also interesting is that the option to download Battlefront's DLC seems to be available to me in the UK store as well, whereas I distinctly remember that even though I played my US Battlefront purchase on my UK account, I had to defer back to logging into the US account to acquire the DLC.

Latest firmware update released today reports to fix the controller USB charging bug. I'll try it later and see for myself.

• This system software update improves system performance.
  • An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5/system-software/