LCVG

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) Thread — Launching November 12, 2020 | $499 Regular, $399 Digital

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s out for delivery. I have to work all day so my son came over to wait while I’m not there.    edit: and delivered!! Now just 6 more hours of work to go....☹️

My Christmas just got a little better...    

Got the email confirmation from Amazon at least.   Physical. Digital Foundry had better not reveal it to be noisier than the digital model!   Interestingly they did not even upload the digit

Posted Images

Anyone else have this issue? I played a game on my Pro last night and thought I would play it on the PS5 this morning. Moved the save over, it shows as being in console storage, yet when I go to the game, only my previous save is available to load. Any ideas, something I’m missing?

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

Anyone else have this issue? I played a game on my Pro last night and thought I would play it on the PS5 this morning. Moved the save over, it shows as being in console storage, yet when I go to the game, only my previous save is available to load. Any ideas, something I’m missing?

Which game? How did you move it over?

Trails of Cold Steel II. I went into the PS4 cloud save data in the PS5 settings(they really need to change upload/download back to an option for each game), downloaded the save, it now shows as being on the PS5, but does not show in the game. We can move saves between consoles right? I was assuming since I moved over all my previous PS4 saves when setting up the PS5.

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

Trails of Cold Steel II. I went into the PS4 cloud save data in the PS5 settings(they really need to change upload/download back to an option for each game), downloaded the save, it now shows as being on the PS5, but does not show in the game. We can move saves between consoles right? I mean moved over all my previous PS4 saves when setting up the PS5.

Yep. For testing, go to the PS4 Pro and verify the saves are on local storage. If so (to ensure you have a back up), delete the saves from the cloud and then reupload them from the local storage. Then go to the PS5, delete the saves from local storage and then redownload them to the console from the cloud (which should be the fresh saves you just uploaded). Then, test.

This is one annoying aspect of the PS5. The Xbox just auto-syncs and you’re done. No muss or fuss. Sony could make life easier by doing the same or by at least giving an option to “Sync save from Cloud” from the per game options menu.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Remembering that Bloomberg? article where they said Sony was having problems and had to cut shipping by 4 million consoles for the first quarter. I know there have been stock problems, but it doesn’t seem to be on the production side. 

They supposedly cut 4 million with the goal of shipping 15 million. They were already on track to ship 11 million in the same time period the PS4 shipped 4-5 according to reputable sources. You’re seeing that play out. Demand hasn’t slowed despite Sony continually dropping stock. I think Microsoft is in worst shape having waited for a finalized RDNA 2 chipset from AMD so they started production much later. At least if reports are to be believed.

MS are in a bad spot. Sony is crushing it right now. I’m seeing a favorable to Sony PS5 to Xbox Series X ratio on retail deliveries. Sure both are selling out ASAP but Sony is delivering more units to retailers. If Phil is right that they won’t catch up to demand until mid-2021, might as well give Sony the title again. I’d be interested to know more about Europe what those numbers look like, I’m sure very pro-Sony but by how much. 

Both are selling out here too, with again more PS5. 

I’ve upgraded both my PC and Xbox recently, and in both cases it’s been a bit depressing; the same stuff, just smoother graphics that I don’t feel that excited by. Maybe I’ll feel better when the full neon and shiny metal Hitman 3 hits. 

6 hours ago, kelley said:

MS are in a bad spot. Sony is crushing it right now. I’m seeing a favorable to Sony PS5 to Xbox Series X ratio on retail deliveries. Sure both are selling out ASAP but Sony is delivering more units to retailers. If Phil is right that they won’t catch up to demand until mid-2021, might as well give Sony the title again. I’d be interested to know more about Europe what those numbers look like, I’m sure very pro-Sony but by how much. 

I'm honestly not quite as pessimistic as I still don't feel like the barometers for measuring success that we've clung to in the past apply in quite the same way anymore. I think MS, and certainly Spencer, largely knew what they were going into. As we've all debated before, while it's nonsense when Spencer might say he's not fussed about sales, there is nevertheless a longer game plan that applies to MS and the wider reach of their services and how they might still successfully supplement their inevitably coming in "second place" on hardware sold over time.  

That the Series consoles are selling out almost instantly as and when stock is replenished can only be a good thing, especially when the system has nothing in the way of exclusives to really sell it. It's tragic that the first party software isn't there, and it's still unlikely to be for a year or so yet, but that's just the reality of taking so long to acquire and nurture first party studios and development compared to Sony. It'll come, and I'm still undecided as to whether it would have been better to delay the console until more software was ready, or just to get it out there so as not to allow Sony to dominate the conversation for a year. They did probably make the right call to launch this year. 

Finally got my PSVR connected to the PS5. Used an Anker USB hub (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L32B9C2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to get the camera, VR processor, and Platinum wireless USB dongle all connected into one rear USB port. External SSD goes into the other. All working just fine (although the wireless headset seems to be more sensitive to interference).

Works great, and Star Wars: Squadrons in VR is something to behold.

I am very happy with my PS5 being just my fast gaming machine that plays old and new games. I'm primarily playing Monster Hunter PS4 most of the time. A little Squadrons PS4. I played Miles a while ago so I haven't seen next-geny graphics in a while.

My PS5 is more like a new PC than a next-gen console with next-gen games. And I'm totally fine with that. Because I see how my PS4 runs sloooooowly and appreciate now being on my snappy new thing.

When Horizon and other shiny new games come out it will be xmas all over again.

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Monster Hunter PS4

considering giving this a try. How is it?

i too am loving the speedy PS4 catch-up phase. I played the crap out of ffxv and have been enjoying squadrons even though I suck. Tried persona 5 but the dungeons and timing mechanics are just so punishing if you mess up. It stresses me out.

tried re7 in VR. So much nope. But great experience. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I really liked it when it was released but hit a point where I couldn’t beat a certain monster and it seemed like I had to grind quite a bit to get through it. 

There is also the possibility that I was doing/had done something wrong, and that’s one of the issues with this game. It’s not terrible at explaining the game, but you’ll want to probably find a good YouTube channel to help. 

15 hours ago, Josh said:

i too am loving the speedy PS4 catch-up phase. I played the crap out of ffxv and have been enjoying squadrons even though I suck. Tried persona 5 but the dungeons and timing mechanics are just so punishing if you mess up. It stresses me out.

tried re7 in VR. So much nope. But great experience. 

This is one of those games that you need to commit to. The same is true for most of my favorite games to be honest.  You get out what you put in.

So I committed to learning and getting better, hoping that I would reach that "Best game of all time" mentality that I'm hearing from YouTubers.

That has not happened. But what has happened is this. I've learned more and more about the gameplay, crafting, armor, weapons, and general flow of the game. And NOW I have settled in on a very fun and somewhat obsessive gameplay loop that explains why people love this game so much. 

I am this close to drawing my daughter into the loop.  We've been playing online together. But she hasn't learned enough yet to truly get to the obsessive fun.

Best game of all time? Not really. But really really good and I am glad that I'm playing it.