LCVG

Gaming While Old

rustyjaw

I'm 44 and definitely can relate to experiencing some level of discomfort if I sit too long while gaming or doing anything on the computer.  Usually feel it in my neck muscles first because of my old habit of wanting to lean forward.  Been thinking of buying one of those wearable posture corrector thingies like this one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Posture-Corrector-Adjustable-Comfortably-Kinesiology/dp/B07GQM1W25/?tag=verywellhealth-20&ascsubtag=4171981|nc774d2c954014d8e9047badb66e04ced15

The older I get the more I realize how important good posture is...and stretching...and eating healthy...and...you get the idea.  As my Grandpa used to say, getting old aint for sissies.  :)   I've been using CBD oil just about every day for the last few months and have noticed hand/wrist pain (from gaming, computer use, etc) is almost non existent now so I got that going for me.  I can really see why gamers invest in dedicated gaming chairs that support back and neck.  For now the recliner couch works well as long as I place a couple small pillows behind my to support neck and back.  

In my case I’m not using special seats or inserts - just a pillow but it does help and I’d guess these would help more. I also got a new lapboard for couch gaming recently with a wrist rest to use with my keyboard/mouse and that has helped wrist pain and fatigue a ton. 

Many, many years ago I bought a leather "zero gravity chair" from Costco. It spins up on an axis at the bottom of your hip and takes all the weight off your lower back.

Every couple of years I do something silly to my back and sit in that chair and sometimes sleep in it and it's awesome. I remember a buddy visiting and hobbling around and I dragged that thing into the guest bedroom. Even though he lived two miles up the road he slept in the damn thing and thanked me the nextday.

It's stashed in my home office because it is not attractive to look at, but, seriously -- sit in one if you have occasional or frequent back problems.

Well I've been able to put in more hours in a Dirt game this week than I have in any time period in the last few years, and I have zero pain issues afterward. I was quite skeptical about the lumbar seat insert, I originally shopped for one last year, and stopped short of dropping the $130 on it because I was skeptical it would work. But now I could not be happier. The steel frame is super solid and because it has both a seat and a back portion, it actually feels more like sitting in a car seat than sitting on a couch. Score one for being older AND wiser.