LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Magness

The Outer Worlds

Game is out now and it’s fantastic :) A near-perfect Fallout game IMO and you should all be playing it. I got it through XGP on PC and it looks and plays beautifully on the PC, remarkably solid for a v1.0 release these days which is nice. Anyone else playing it?

• Like 2

That's too bad-I have a work trip coming up in a week, and it'd be great to be able to play on both platforms (since I think the X is going to run better than my laptop).

1 hour ago, Magness said:

Game is out now and it’s fantastic :) A near-perfect Fallout game IMO and you should all be playing it. I got it through XGP on PC and it looks and plays beautifully on the PC, remarkably solid for a v1.0 release these days which is nice. Anyone else playing it?

going to play as soon as I get home

• Like 1

Dang it, I have still been working through (and loving) Control with my limited gaming time, but this really has come up on my radar fast and I've got a code for 3 free months of GamePass. Think I will finally use that and check this out!

4 hours later...yep I’m addicted. I could probably be farther along in the story, but I’ve been searching everything I could. I did see one issue though. A weapon is showing in my inventory at the work bench, but not when I am trying to change weapons,

I just finished the 1st world and damn I’m loving this game. It’s such a perfect Fallout type game in all the right ways like the look and design of the game elements, characters, etc. They all have the retro future look that I love from Fallout but it is wild and colorful at the same time. Also, I’ve only had to deal with inventory issues/encumberance once the whole time on the first planet (including all side quests, etc) so that’s a hell of an improvement on F4 :) There are vending machines and stuff all over and even a perk to allow fast travel while encumbered so you’re never too far from a vendor to sell off junk. Little QoL stuff like that really helps. 

So, got this via Game Pass and am really enjoying it. I have a really strange graphics problem though.

The game defaults to 1707x960 resolution, I have no idea why it chooses that and gives me no other options. I have a 4k projector that has had no trouble with other games (been playing Control at 4k with DX12), have the latest Nvidia drivers. I tried manually setting it in the .ini files and it just reverts back when I open the game. Truly baffling, any ideas?

• Like 1

That’s a weird one - I’ve not heard of any probs with game resolution myself. FWIW I set mine - game render and window resolution to 1440p, all settings on Very High and all has been working ok for me. What a weird resolution to set too - especially with an Nvidia card since it would normally default to a standard HD res. Sorry to hear that but, let us know when you find the root cause and what fixes it.

There is some kind of resolution bug going around.  Just saw a video of a guy who could not get the game to accept the change in rez he was trying to make.  My guess is that the issue won't be fixed until the game sees some patches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magness said:

That’s a weird one - I’ve not heard of any probs with game resolution myself. FWIW I set mine - game render and window resolution to 1440p, all settings on Very High and all has been working ok for me. What a weird resolution to set too - especially with an Nvidia card since it would normally default to a standard HD res. Sorry to hear that but, let us know when you find the root cause and what fixes it.

Yeah, it is a weird one and a truly odd resolution for it to pick. 

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

There is some kind of resolution bug going around.  Just saw a video of a guy who could not get the game to accept the change in rez he was trying to make.  My guess is that the issue won't be fixed until the game sees some patches.

Ok, gotcha. It's certainly not unplayable by any means as it is, but it is clearly below what it should be. Just have an uber rig right now and I want to take advantage of it. 😁 

I am just about to leave the first planet, finishing up some side quests first. Should I up the difficulty above Normal? I haven't really died yet (I've come close once or twice) but feel like I am kinda mowing through people right now. Does is ramp up after the first planet?

Side note, I'm pretty impressed with the selection on Xbox Game Pass. Granted I don't own an Xbox One. With all of the games available on GP, don't know why I ever would with a decent PC!

• Like 1

Confirmed no cross-save.  I'm using the opportunity to play as I normally would on the Xbox and play as a complete asshole on my PC and see how differently it all plays out.

I love the game, but I've been stuck doing 12hr work days (until tonight at 6pm) so I've been restricted to about an hour before and after work.  I may pull an all-nighter tonight on it, though.

Haven't run into any bugs, but I get kind of annoyed (from an RP perspective) that I can't initiate a conversation with anyone without pulling my weapon.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Whooter said:

but I get kind of annoyed (from an RP perspective) that I can't initiate a conversation with anyone without pulling my weapon.

Sounds like some Texan relatives I have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am at the location after the first planet, and I lost track of time playing so much. The only thing they need to add is a comparison between what you are wearing and items in your inventory/shops. That’s my only UI complaint.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 9:25 PM, JoeyN said:

I am at the location after the first planet, and I lost track of time playing so much. The only thing they need to add is a comparison between what you are wearing and items in your inventory/shops. That’s my only UI complaint.

Yeah, that's an egregious oversight.  The comparison tool is clunky enough as it is, but then you can't even compare items from a vendor with what you have on/in your inventory?  WTF?

• Like 1

Finished this one today - great game overall and feels like a “lost” Fallout game that should have followed New Vegas or something. I had a lot of fun with it and it was very solid gameplay-wise. I never had a crash and had no issues with the game really except a temporary audio drop out once. I would have liked to see the inventory system improved and few other (little) things but, the game was really great for the most part. It also nicely hits the right balance between sci-if and humor for me. 

Playing it via XGP was o.k. but, I had more issues with the launcher than the game so not planning to keep it around now...

Finished this as well, and was a lot of fun. Other then the interface needing a few improvements,  I did run into a few things towards the end that were glitches or bugs.

1-When I returned  to the groundbreaker later in the game the guards attacked and I had no choice to kill them, and the rep dropped. I did not do anything to cause it( but something later made me think it’s a glitch) .

2-A glitch happened with the scientist doing the food study, I talked her into working with us, and the mission updated. However when the guards attacked me, she did as well and she got killed. The mission tracker never updated, but when i went back to finish it, it acted like I killed her , not the choice the mission log said. 

3- During the prison break in, the alliances you made come back to help you. Well the guard group from the Groundbreaker helps, which makes the guards attack from issue 1 make no sense.

• Like 1

Finished this a couple of days ago, and by the end I think I was ready for it to be over.  The bits of this game that are good are really really good.  I like the world building, I like the companions, and I think they do a pretty good job of making every choice seem reasonable, and multiple play styles viable.  It just started to drag by the end, however that was after doing every side quest I'd picked up.  A few other (possibly spoilerish) thoughts:

Spoiler
  • Too much gear.  I think I changed weapons maybe 4 times in the course of the game once I settled in.  I'd tinker until it wasn't viable, and then start with a new base.  Everything else became parts...
  • The Science Weapons didn't end up being better than the things you could just mod yourself.  Lots of buildup, but the DPS always showed as well below what I had, so I never bothered.  I gave them to my companions. 
  • That last boss fight was terrible.  I'd gone the entire game with a persuade/stealth/melee build that let me talk around most combat, and sneak attack my way through the rest.  I hadn't had problems with most of the encounters in the game, but when I finally got to the end, my hack skill was 10 points too low to hack the last terminal and even the odds with the warden-bot.  No choice but to brute force my way through, which had never been a requirement up until this point.  Just seems like a move where, at the last minute, the game says "nope, you specced wrong", and punishes you for it.  Only reason I made it through was using the mind control cannon... I did look it up afterwards, and apparently there's also a password you can find earlier in the prison, but I blew through that pretty fast since I was a-ready to be done with the game, and b-not looking for any more gear. 
  • I really appreciated the number of dialog options you got with the different skills.  I always like it when it's just as valuable to talk your way around encounters instead of gunning through them. 
  • I don't think I used any healing items besides the basic adreno inhaler at all.  Again, there were so many of them, and it didn't seem like they were ever really required (at least on Normal difficulty). 

Overall, a very good Fallout/Mass Effect hybrid, and despite reports of it being "short", it's still a meaty game.  Had it not been as much of a drag at the end, I might have gone back through and tried a few different options. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Overall, a very good Fallout/Mass Effect hybrid, and despite reports of it being "short", it's still a meaty game.  Had it not been as much of a drag at the end, I might have gone back through and tried a few different options. 

I finished this up a few weeks ago, my experience largely mirrors yours on every point and I had the exact same experience with the boss fight.

It was a good-very good game, not a great game. I would recommend anyone with any semblance of gaming skill try it on Hard difficulty at a minimum before dropping down if at all possible. I still blew through much of the game and I am by no means a l33t gamer these days.

I do think a sequel could be fun if they learn from what they've done and perhaps can justify a bigger budget, too.

I've been playing and enjoying this game. My problem with this type of game, and it might be unique to me, is this.

1. I start out trying to absorb the story and the quest contexts of a "town"
  2. But eventually I quit doing that. Instead I just "collect" quests like coins. I scour the town, talk to every one, and do everything.
  3. I might accidentally complete quests in the process -- yay!
  4. Then once I've gotten all the quests I think I can get, collected all the stuff I can find, I go out into the dangerous world, and begin doing the same out there.
  5. The only difference outside the town is that there are hostiles. And I "collect" them too : )
  6. I also open every door, unlock every thing, collect every piece of shit I find on every table
  7. Then I head back to the town having incidentally progressed a bunch of quests
  8. Then I use the way point system to find the remaining quests

It is really sad that the story devolves into a set of mechanical tasks to be checked off. 

I nonetheless enjoy it a lot. I just kind of wish it all played out in a more linear fashion. I'd enjoy tracking down that poor kidnapped kid if it wasn't one of 15 things on my list that I needed to gain experience points and money to progress.

*sigh* Open World games always leave me feeling that I'm playing them wrong.