LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Magness

The Outer Worlds

43 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Welcome to most RPG’s :)

Right, I recognize I'm making a generalized statement about open world games.  And RPGs are now a subclass of opener worlds games.

The more cluttered with side-quests a game becomes, the more likely I hit the tipping point where the game becomes an OCD trap rather than a cohesive narrative experience.

Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time.  But I never finished it for this reason.

Its called prioritization and ensuring that you experience what you want. 

I'm replaying the Witcher 3 right now which is stuffed to the hilt with content. Witcher contracts, stand alone side quests and question marks all over the maps to discover. I've learned to compartmentalize what content I want to experience and pace myself. I think the reason these things become "tasks" is because many of us have a back log of games we want to get to so we don't allow ourselves the time to truly savor an experience. We need to get it done for all intents and purposes so we can take up the next experience. I'm guilty as hell of this when it comes to some of these bigger games. 

I spent nearly 8 hours playing Witcher 3 last night and found myself getting into that trap as I was trying to hit a level to use a new piece of armor. I was just blazing through discovery areas and quests and not really experiencing the game. I stopped playing at that point because I knew I had to level set my expectations.

1. If you're playing a main quest mission - then play it. Ignore all side quest content possible but allow yourself to explore an area because YOU want to.

2. If you're doing side quests, then do them but do one and only one at a time. Don't juggle 50 even if you have 50 sitting in your quest log. Going back to the Witcher - Geralt is a fine Witcher but no man could do the amount of content the game offers. Pick and choose the interesting ones and allow the rest for when you have some downtime.

3. If you aren't enjoying the game and it starts to feel like work. Stop playing. Take a break and come back fresh minded with 1 and 2 in mind.

No clue if any of that helps but its what I try to do when tackling longer games or RPG's like this. I haven't gotten to Outer Worlds yet but I plan to in the near future.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Its called prioritization and ensuring that you experience what you want. 

I'm replaying the Witcher 3 right now which is stuffed to the hilt with content. Witcher contracts, stand alone side quests and question marks all over the maps to discover. I've learned to compartmentalize what content I want to experience and pace myself. I think the reason these things become "tasks" is because many of us have a back log of games we want to get too so we don't allow ourselves the time to truly savor an experience. We need to get it done for all intents and purposes so we can take up the next experience. I'm guilty as hell of this when it comes to some of these bigger games. 

I spent nearly 8 hours playing Witcher 3 last night and found myself getting into that trap as I was trying to hit a level to use a new piece of armor. I was just blazing through discovery areas and quests and not really experiencing the game. I stopped playing at that point because I knew I had to level set my expectations.

1. If you're playing a main quest mission - then play it. Ignore all side quest content possible but allow yourself to explore an area because YOU want to.

2. If you're doing side quests, then do them but do one and only one at a time. Don't juggle 50 even if you have 50 sitting in your quest log. Going back to the Witcher - Geralt is a fine Witcher but no man could do the amount of content the game offers. Pick and choose the interesting ones and allow the rest for when you have some downtime.

3. If you aren't enjoying the game and starts to feel like work. Stop playing. Take a break and come back fresh minded with 1 and 2 in mind.

No clue if any of that helps but its what I try to do when tackling longer games or RPG's like this. I haven't gotten to Outer Worlds yet but I plan to in the near future.

I'd say that's good advice.  And I'm trying to do that as much as possible with games now-a-days. Stick to the main quest lines. I'm gonna force myself to do that.  It's not like I don't have fun exploring. I do. But then I get lost in a sea of exploration and just burn myself out.

Everything in moderation god damn it!

• Like 1

I forgot to say that the advice that someone gave to change the difficulty level to HARD was priceless. This game is bit too easy otherwise.  Do I ever get to use landmines? I keep encountering them and wish I could use them.

The game should scale down well. Much better than the Witcher 3 as an example.  I don't have any interest in it personally as I prefer the full fidelity experience on the X or Pro but its never a bad thing for folks to have more options to play a good game.

John at DF has taken a look at the Switch release and unfortunately it’s not great.

Sad to see. Since I don’t own any other platform I was hoping The Switch would be a respectable enough option to play it, but I’d sooner wait until I have a PC again or next gen system.

This game was pretty good. And Skyrim is probably in my Top 5 best games of all time. But now having played Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and this... I'm hoping for some evolution in this concept with future games in the genre. It seems weird to think about these games as retro, but it kind of feels that way when I play them.