LCVG

Sonos Home Theater

Magness

Anyone here use Sonos?

I’ve had problems recently with the Yamaha receiver I have been using. It’s been failing to negotiate HDCP about 1 in 4 times for some reason, randomly not input switching with the Harmony remote I use and occasionally no audio at all from some sources till I power it off and back on. Because of this I was looking at replacing the receiver and from reading through the AV Forums a lot of people were recommending Sonos instead.

So, I decided to try the Sonos Beam as a replacement for the receiver and my passive LCR soundbar (Mordaunt Short) and I’ve been really impressed with it. I think I’m going to use the Sonos Beam and add 2 surrounds for 5.0 (and eventually the sub for 5.1). The sound has been fantastic so far with really clean, pronounced directional sound, great bass and clean highs and mids as well. Its an expensive system for 5.1 with the sub but, without adding the sub the Beam + 2 surrounds is £499 which isn’t any more than I was looking to spend on the receiver anyway so I’m pretty happy with that. 

There are some limitations with audio format support and the surrounds I went with are the Symphonisk’s not Play or One so they are smaller which fits my room better but they won’t be as pronounced as One/Play’s would be. Still, I would say that in my room the Beam and surrounds (replacing my old Sony’s) should make for a noticeably better setup even without the sub than my Yamaha and discrete speakers + sub before. 

Anyone here using Sonos speakers for home theater or just room audio? Any recommendations when using it as a 5.1 setup? 

I have a Beam that I’m using for my retro setup. I love it. I’d like to add an additional subwoofer to it but it’s been absolutely perfect as a replacement for the shitty TV speakers on the TCL 6 series set I’m using for my retro setup and it’s a clear step up in audio quality from a number of soundbars I tested.

Nice - I’m really happy with the sound and I’m surprised by the expansiveness of it for movies too vs the discrete set I was using. The Beam alone sounds just as good to me in my living room (even without surrounds) as the full 5.1 set did before. It’s really impressive on high, mid and low range sound for a soundbar without a sub and the directionality is really good in movies and games. My only issue so far is the lack of DTS codec support with some of my  full ISO UHD rips. It plays the DD5.1 subset included but, it would be better if it covered DTS and/or lossless codecs natively. 

The Symfonisk surrounds came in and I’ve got the whole 5.0 setup working now. The Beam was really easy to setup but these were a little finicky to get working. After the software update on the speakers, they were quick and easy to add so not too bad overall. Design-wise I love them: they look great IMO, are really unobtrusive (don’t take up much room at all) and blend in with my room nicely I think. I have them on my end tables currently vertically but they have a great wall mount available so I may go that route later and put them up vertically or horizontally.  

The sound quality out of them is very good too. I expected them to be good but, to lack some depth however, they are surprisingly “big” on sound for small speakers. I don’t think they sound as impressive as the One’s I’ve heard in a similar setup but, as surrounds for home theater they sound amazing. They are currently set to ambient for playing music and this adds a nice balance to the music focused from the Beam. For TV or a movie - they are full surrounds and work beautifully with the Beam at the front with really good, clear directional surround sound. Very impressed for reasonably priced wireless speakers (with Airplay 2). 

The whole thing together as a 5.0 system works incredibly well - even better than I’d hoped. Versus the discreet speakers + sub and receiver I was using before I think the Sonos sound better with deeper, more pronounced bass (despite not having the sub), clearer and more precise sound and better directional audio. Really impressed :)

• 1 month later...

I agree - the Playbar is due for HDMI in/out and it seems likely the sub is going to get a smaller model too sometime in 2020. I have to say I’ve had 0 issues with the Beam + surrounds and I’m still impressed with the sound quality and directionality. They were an excellent upgrade for me and our medium sized living room but, the Playbar is the one to get for larger rooms without a doubt so hopefully it is updated soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Beam has been amazing for sound in my living room (medium size) so assuming your basement area isn’t too large I’m sure it would be a very good soundbar. No issues on my side with the Beam or Symphonisk surrounds since setting everything up and the HDMI + ARC has been excellent; no problems switching inputs, powering up or down or with sound format changes like switching from PC to ATV to streaming Apple Music or using AirPlay when the wife puts one of her workout videos up, etc. I would think it would be a great match for your C9.