LCVG

EVERWILD - New Rare IP shown at X019 [SeriesX/PC]

Dan B.

While Everwild is still early in development, we are very excited about the unique potential of the game we are creating. The Everwild team is focused on building an experience that allows for new ways to play in a natural and magical world. The development team, led by Executive Producer Louise O'Connor, is creating something truly original and incredibly special that aims to be more than just a new IP. Everwild will offer memorable, engaging and meaningful experiences for players everywhere to share. We cannot wait to share more with you in the future.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• 8 months later...
Just now, ChrisBardon said:

I thought it was supposed to be similar to Sea of Thieves?

That's the indication Rare seemed to give, yes, but we've no idea how much it may resemble that formula, or whether they may introduce more single player friendly aspects to it. Here's everything Craig Duncan from Rare had to say about the game recently:

Even for a veteran studio like Banjo-Kazooie and Sea of Thieves developer Rare, the driving force is new ideas. Rare’s next game, Everwild, will build on ideas and development experiences the studio learned during the creation of Sea of Thieves, a game that launched still in development on Xbox One and Windows PC, and has since found a larger audience with Game Pass subscribers and players on Steam.

“I think we’re definitely idea-first,” Rare studio head Craig Duncan told Polygon. “We will bet and incubate and nurture the idea we think is great, and then we’ll assume that all the business side of it will figure itself out as we go. 

“I remember our first thousand players sailing in Sea of Thieves. Then that became 100,000. Then it became millions. Then it became a monthly update [for] 12 months. Sea of Thieves organically grew with our players, and I think that suits Rare as a model — particularly if you’re making a game where players have to get can imprint themselves onto it.”

Sea of Thieves’ “very open development model” philosophy and an ever-evolving cooperative world is something that seems will carry over to Everwild, which Duncan described as “very unique.”

“We learned a lot from Sea of Thieves,” Duncan said. “At its heart, we love the idea of Sea of Thieves [and] players creating stories together. I think with Everwild, Louise [O’Connor] and her leadership team are really passionate about giving players a world that they can just lose themselves in — you know, a lot of nature feels magical. So the notion of, ‘What does it mean to nurture a world? What does it mean to be in nature?’ Part of the reason we haven’t talked a lot about Everwild is because we’re still feeling a lot of these things out. We’re still playing around with gameplay ideas. We’ll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there’s something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they’re really, really passionate about.”

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/7/20/21330919/xbox-game-studios-phil-spencer-interview-matt-booty-series-x

So this is farther out than I think anyone is anticipating.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/rare-hasnt-discussed-everwild-much-because-its-still-playing-around-with-gameplay-ideas/#nnn

“We learned a lot from Sea of Thieves,” he said. “At its heart, we love the idea of Sea of Thieves [and] players creating stories together. I think with Everwild, Louise [O’Connor] and her leadership team are really passionate about giving players a world that they can just lose themselves in — you know, a lot of nature feels magical. 

“So the notion of, ‘What does it mean to nurture a world? What does it mean to be in nature?’

“Part of the reason we haven’t talked a lot about Everwild is because we’re still feeling a lot of these things out. We’re still playing around with gameplay ideas.

“We’ll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there’s something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they’re really, really passionate about.”

Its interesting to see what they come up with but this sounds like 2022 at the earliest.

I've probably rewatched the new trailer the most out of everything shown yesterday (I'm obsessed with the cute giant moustachioed beaver dog thing that brings down the tree with his tail). I was thinking that if it's online in the sense that Journey is online, it could be a rather beautiful experience. Like, if it wasn't possible to harm other players in any way, and if you wanted to go it alone you absolutely could, that would be something I could get behind. Likewise, as with Journey, no voice chat or user ID's above players heads would be lovely, and there only being limited means of communication like sounds or gestures. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but hopefully not. If they can think up gameplay that's as engaging and beautiful as the art direction then this could be special. It's been so long since I loved a Rare game.

• 1 month later...

This is still the most intriguing forthcoming Xbox title for me. We get a tiny bit more insight into what's going on in the game and the things that we can do in this video. We'll be playing the role of Eternals, and Rare confirm assumptions from the trailer that these characters who have a symbiotic link with the world's surrounding wildlife.

• 1 month later...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/rares-everwild-has-lost-its-creative-director/

Everwild‘s most senior developer, creative director Simon Woodroffe, has resigned from his position at Rare, VGC understands.

In a statement issued to VGC, the Microsoft owned studio confirmed the departure and insisted that Everwild development would be in good hands going forward.

Studio head Craig Duncan said: “We thank Simon for all his hard work on Everwild and wish him the very best of luck for the future.

“The Everwild team are in good hands and passionate about building a game that will give players unforgettable experiences in a natural and magical world.”

• 7 months later...

The game has apparently been rebooted and has a new director:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/why-wasnt-everwild-at-e3-its-been-completely-rebooted/

VGC understands that last year’s departure of creative director Simon Woodroffe – first reported by us – has led to a complete overhaul of the game’s design and direction, as well as significant changes to its senior leadership.

According to people with knowledge of Everwild’s development, the game’s design has essentially been “restarted from scratch”, which means it will likely be several years before it releases.

This corroborates comments made by journalist Jeff Grubb in a video show this weekend, in which he said he’d heard Everwild development was taking longer than expected.

We’re told that Everwild’s development team is now “optimistically” targeting a 2024 release and that Rare’s most senior creative employee, designer Gregg Mayles, has been brought in to lead the reboot.

The article notes a possible 2024 release date.