LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Thro

Links 2004 Downloadable Content - $4.99

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/links2...ws_6086116.html

Sucks that the new courses will be $5 a piece, but the article says that once purchased, you will be able to use them in Links 2005 at no charge. That is a pretty good idea IMO.

I bought the Links series on PC for years, and always got the extra course expansion packs. It worked the same way...if you have an add-on course for links 97, you could import it into links 98 and it would work just fine.

Guest Bryan

I am surprised that the first download is premium content.

That being said, I will get it the second it is available. I must have played a few hundred rounds of golf on Links 2004 so far and feel it has been a fabulous bargain for me. (Based on what the developers have said) None of the courses available in the PC version of Links can be ported over directly - making them available in Links 2004 requires almost as much time as creating new courses. I don't mind supporting those ongoing efforts.

-Like I said before, I don't mind paying for additional content for a game like Links, which shipped with an acceptable amount of content initially. (of course this is a judgement call, subject to what I feel is an acceptable amount).

-And as I also mentioned before, I would not pay for additional content for a game like Crimson Skies unless they release a healthy amount of free content first, .... as the game was is lacking sufficient content right out of the box.

-Thnx for the info Thro.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable to me as well. I remember gladly paying $30 each for the PC version's courses...

One question will be, if you download the courses, and say have to get a new Xbox, will you have to pay again to re-download?

Of course I'll buy it on first day, if only because everyone else will. But, it's still disappointing that the first content isn't free. I'm also a little skeptical that already-created courses take "almost as much time" as new. Isn't PC to Xbox conversion (and vice-versa) fairly straightforward? Perhaps they're just heading off the "meh, I have that course in Links 2000" complaints.

One question will be, if you download the courses, and say have to get a new Xbox, will you have to pay again to re-download?

There were mixed messages answering that question in relation to MechAssault.

My guess is yes.

Guest Bryan

Darryl Welsh (Developer) said that Live tracks premium purchases - in response to that exact question. Just put your Live account on the new box and you should be able to download again for free.

Just put your Live account on the new box and you should be able to download again for free.

This is the exact opposite of what different Xbox service reps have told me.

I wish we could get a straight answer about this.

Sorry, but no dice! I'm boycotting this whole "premium" thing.

Especially with a game like Links which, granted I like and have a great time playing, but I feel there's enough courses as is.

But, to all those paying for new courses...ENJOY!

This is the exact opposite of what different Xbox service reps have told me.

I really would take anything those Xbox reps say Chris with a grain of salt. I got a ton of mixed messages from them when I inquired about PSO for the Xbox being region compatible (ie everyone from all regions being able to play together). I was never able to get a straight answer on that subject either.

Its ashame but not suprising. Corporate consistency is a thing of myth and legend. ;)

I don't have much problem paying for the new course, especially if it is only going to be $5. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I enjoy and play this game enough that I will most definitely get my money's worth.

I really would take anything those Xbox reps say Chris with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I know Romier. Trying to get the original answer to that question got me about 5 different replies from different reps.

In any case, I'll be downloading this course over the weekend. I don't mind paying 4.99 for stuff like this, and to be honest, if it's a significant download 5$ isn't that much to ask. But that's always dependant on what one's personal definition of "significant" is.

I know my dad is going to be all over this. I'm setting up his Live account for him tonight (his current account is tied to my credit card :shock: ).

Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and see what happens if I delete some of the Premium content and try to download it again.

I really would take anything those Xbox reps say Chris with a grain of salt. I got a ton of mixed messages from them when I inquired about PSO for the Xbox being region compatible (ie everyone from all regions being able to play together). I was never able to get a straight answer on that subject either.

Not the best example as even the publishers involved couldn't come up with a straight answer. I never did find out for sure.

as even the publishers involved couldn't come up with a straight answer. I never did find out for sure.

Nor did I. Further proving the corporate consistency comment, especially when the publishers dont even know what in the world is going on. ;)

I will gladly pay the $5.00 to get additional content for this game. I'm having way too much fun with Links to not be interested in more courses. In my case, the benefit clearly out weighs the cost.

And thanks Leo, I will ENJOY! :lol:

The more I think about it, the more this is bothering me. :x

I don't like the whole "premium" DLC to start, but this really blows.

Let's say the next tourney consists of all "new" DLC maps. Guess what? I can't take part 'cause I WON'T shell out the extra $5. I don't know, it's a little like extortion to me. I know it's my choice and blah, blah, blah, but it just seems wrong.

Whatever.

I don't know, it's a little like extortion to me.

It was due to happen eventually. For the first year MS made it fairly clear that most DLC would be free and they kept up to that for that most part. However I'm sure MS sees this "premium" downloadable content much in the way they view PC expansions. On a much smaller scale however. At the very least it looks as though these new courses will be useable in next years game which is a plus.

Sure a reply to that would be this is not the PC market and that mindset shouldn't apply but I'll have to reply with a bit of your own medicine....blah blah blah whatever :D. As you said, it is your choice and if you dislike it I more than encourage you to voice that dislike with your wallet. The voice of the consumer can be a loud one ;)

For $5, I'll probably get it.

Anyone know if it will just be a course, or will it add a single player tournement for it or anything like that?

Originally posted by A CLAN OF ONE@Jan 6 2004, 07:24 PM

The more I think about it, the more this is bothering me. :x

I don't like the whole "premium" DLC to start, but this really blows.

Let's say the next tourney consists of all "new" DLC maps. Guess what? I can't take part 'cause I WON'T shell out the extra $5. I don't know, it's a little like extortion to me. I know it's my choice and blah, blah, blah, but it just seems wrong.

Whatever.

I agree!! The only thing that really bothers me is that this is an indicator of things to come, with the success of this option being the benchmark. If we start doing it now, they're going to keep doing it; why would they say, "Hey, we charged them for the first couple, let's give them one free...!"

Premium Downloadable content is the future. I'm in.

A question for those of you who don't want to pay: Do you feel that way because you don't feel DLC is worth paying for?

Now, I do wish that game prices would fall a little, especially for games that have the promise of a lot of DLC.