LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

Which Game Awards Game of the Year would you pick?

Which Game Awards Game of the Year would you pick?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Make a choice for Game of the Year from the ones nominated at The Game Awards

• Control
    • Death Stranding
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • The Outer Worlds

This was a tough one for me. I've played three games on that list: Super Smash Bros. UltimateResident Evil 2, and Control. Of those, I picked Control. I think it may be Remedy's best work. It has just about everything I would hope for in a great game: superb and unique gameplay, a compelling story, impressive art direction, great sound, and excellent performances from all the actors in the game. Plus, it's an original IP, and I think that counts for something in this day and age.

Also, do the other games on that list have this?

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’ve only played Smash Brothers. 😀

I only played RE2 and Death Stranding. I still feel confident I'd pick RE2, but Control is the one that could change that for me had I played through it. I plan to fix that soon.

2 hours ago, Mark E said:

Fire Emblem :P

Definitely got robbed at this show.

I had some issues with Control, and RE2, but I feel RE2 is the superior game experience. Much as I love the atmosphere in Control.

43 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I only played RE2 and Death Stranding. I still feel confident I'd pick RE2, but Control is the one that could change that for me had I played through it. I plan to fix that soon.

I'll abstain since I've only played one of the games (and only own a Switch now anyway). There's a good chunk that's brought me immense pleasure on Switch in the last few months though, from Untitled Goose Game to Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon. 

• Like 1

I was all set to make "The Outer Worlds" my GOTY.

I've never been a huge MGS/Kojima fan, so I was not really interested in even playing "Death Stranding" when it came out, and hadn't even really followed it, so I knew next to nothing about it other than Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelson, and Guillermo Del Toro were in it, and there was a weird-ass baby.  But, I happened upon a Digital Deluxe edition for about $40 over at CAG, so I figured "what the hell."

Man, I have been just sucked into this game, completely.  I'm only now at Chapter 6 so I have a ways to go, but hours just melt away when I'm playing.  It doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but I don't even care.  The visuals and the gameplay loop have me totally engaged.  I expect I'll be lost in this one for quite a bit longer...

• Like 2

RE2 was close but Control wins on the gameplay/exploration front. It’s just a super refreshing experience and I agree with Jeff that it’s probably Remedy’s best work.

The only games I didn’t spend a ton of time with there is Death Stranding and Outer Worlds. Both are on the to do list.

• Like 2