LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Xbox Series X — Next Gen Console Coming Holiday 2020

They'd definitely need to claw back the losses somehow, and relatively quickly. It would be fascinating to see them drop Gold, and perhaps even more fascinating would be how Sony might respond as they don't have the kind of services that they could possibly leverage against the loss of PS+ subscriptions, so PS+ being much harder for Sony to drop is certainly a greater incentive for MS to drop Gold, but I'm still not convinced they're going to do it, at least not in the near term (nor am I that sure it would pull many customers from Playstation ecosystem if they do drop it anyway). The loss of the annual Gold sub remains a mystery though, unless they really are just simply looking to force more people towards Game Pass Ultimate.

I'm hoping this month will give us answers to a lot of questions we still have about both Xbox and PS5.

Hmm, if Gold goes away can we assume Games with Gold goes too?  They certainly can’t just give two games a month away with nothing in return. 

21 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Hmm, if Gold goes away can we assume Games with Gold goes too?  They certainly can’t just give two games a month away with nothing in return. 

Maybe that becomes a Game Pass Ultimate perk along with xCloud and having Game Pass on both console and PC. [EDIT: Just to be clear, I realize that Games with Gold is already part of Game Pass Ultimate. I just mean that it becomes exclusive to the higher tier service.]

I’m currently on Game Pass Ultimate because I was a Gold subscriber and wanted to keep those benefits when I added Game Pass to the mix. I don’t play games on PC (I’m an Apple sheep), so they’ll have to offer me something to not drop down to regular Game Pass.

I want to guess that if gold goes away and Game Pass is the new thing and keeping in mind their push on PC as well that Ultimate will just be the only service they offer from there on out. It includes GP on basically anything and you get one or two games to keep each month. 

Now that’s what I WANT to guess. I don’t know if anyone really knows what will be the path forward. Sometimes I wonder if MS themselves know. 

It could just be for this one game. Since Halo is becoming a games as service, it benefits them to have as many people playing as possible. I would not be surprised to see them follow the Destiny model with cosmetics, season pass, and then one large expansion every year. But then again, Jeff Grubb seems to hit more with his info then he misses. It will be interesting to see what they announce.

14 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's a risk to expect dropping Gold would increase Gamepass subs to the point where they can quickly make up the losses from losing Gold I think, particularly when you'd have to assume that in the short term MS would need to refund millions of customers currently under a Gold sub in some fashion.

A more likely path (to my mind, anyway) would be to just combine Gold and Game Pass into a single subscription service.  All existing Gold subscriptions would be upgraded to Game Pass (discontinuing 12 and 24 month subscriptions beforehand to limit people stacking years the way they did with the $1 upgrades).  If you want Gold, you get Game Pass.  If you want Game Pass, you get Gold.  And free-to-play games could bypass the subscription requirement.  

I guess we'll find out at some point!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Tyner said:

A more likely path (to my mind, anyway) would be to just combine Gold and Game Pass into a single subscription service. 

That was my thinking also. On a month by month basis, Gold and Gamepass are about the same price (Gold is much cheaper on a 12 month sub) so they could just combine them as a single service. This doesn’t make Gold free, and would help keep the revenue from Gold.

PC only Gamepass could remain as it doesn’t need Gold, and Ultimate could still exist as an Xbox and PC service that also now includes xCloud.

My only issue would be if there will be a discounted version for 12 months. I’ve only ever subbed to XBL a year at a time (usually with some sort of discount on top of that). I don’t think I’d continuously pay ~$10 a month and $120 for a year unless I was actively using the services on a regular basis. 

I brought that up a few pages ago. I think it’s a very real possibility. Compared it to Prime where you can get a year for $119, and then they could keep the $15 a month fee. The only problem is you’re asking people that just want to play Madden or COD online to spend more money, and I don’t know that the added benefits would be worth it to those people. Nor would I consider it consumer friendly. And it still goes against the rumor of online play just being free period.

Can both these companies just announce their plans, prices and launch dates already.

And apparently they have also removed the 12 and 24 month options for Gold from the employee’s store.

Maybe I’m over estimating the money part of it. With the massive shift to digital, especially these past few months, maybe the money they make from sales on their store fronts is enough to offset enough of the lost subscription money to just want everyone on there for free. In that scenario, they could stay $10 for Gamepass, with Ultimate being $15. And anyone that paid for Gold, they could just switch the remainder of that time over to a Gamepass subscription, instantly having an extra 20-30 million people trying it out, showing them why they should stay subscribed once their time is up.

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Maybe I’m over estimating the money part of it. With the massive shift to digital, especially these past few months, maybe the money they make from sales on their store fronts is enough to offset enough of the lost subscription money to just want everyone on there for free. In that scenario, they could stay $10 for Gamepass, with Ultimate being $15. And anyone that paid for Gold, they could just switch the remainder of that time over to a Gamepass subscription, instantly having an extra 20-30 million people trying it out, showing them why they should stay subscribed once their time is up.

I genuinely don't have a clue where MS is going to end up service wise on the next gen. There's a bunch of rumours that are weird & conflicting. "Gold" is relatively cheap if you buy it for the year. It brings a BUNCH of money into MS that I don't see how they instantly replace without some sort of new game pass tier. 

I genuinely dunno :)

New MS Store looks good:

In order to improve ease of use, we’ve revisited and refined a few features and functionalities:

• With the redesigned search functionality, it’s easier to filter your results.
  • Guided by your feedback, we rebuilt the Wish List. You can now easily add new games to your Wish List and quickly check your list content (including keeping tabs on any sale pricing for your Wish List items).
  • The updated shopping cart makes it easier to add items to your cart as well as view the items in your cart before and during purchase.
  • We’ve also made it easier than ever to shop across four generations of great Xbox content by enabling customers to view pricing while browsing for new Xbox One games and backward compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles, as well as add these games to your Wish List or shopping cart.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/03/new-microsoft-store-coming-to-xbox-insiders/

Certainly good that it seems there won't be hoops to jump through if buying 360 games anymore.

• Like 2

I like the snappiness. We'll see how well that translates to real world as its desperately needed. The MS Store is generally a slog to run through even on the X. 

My biggest issue with the store (and the Xbox interface in general) is the amount of time I spend watching a spinning circle. I hope this is improved, even on the S. 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I was told the console wars are over though.....

That’s just what they tell you so you’ll let your guard down. Then when you least suspect it, they crush you. 

• Bravo 1

2 hours ago, JFo said:

Microsoft taking a pot shot at Sony’s lack of support for PS5 games with PS4 controllers. 

That's indeed nice, I have like 6 xbox controllers - nice to know they all will be usable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlbertA said:

That's indeed nice, I have like 6 xbox controllers - nice to know they all will be usable.

Yep. Both of my boys have their own personal Xbox controllers, which they got for Christmas last year. I even have them set up so that they automatically log in when they turn on their controllers. It will be nice to be able to do that with Series X.