LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Xbox Series X — Next Gen Console Coming Holiday 2020

20 hours ago, iainl said:

So not even one USB-C socket? OK. 

That does seem shortsighted. Also I wonder what the card slot is for. 

10 hours ago, kelley said:

That does seem shortsighted. Also I wonder what the card slot is for. 

I heard some people say it was a debug port for the prototype. 

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming

Phil Spencer:

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the people you want, wherever you want. And for many of us, nothing is more inspiring than the dawn of a new console generation.

We know you expect the next generation of consoles to set new standards in graphical power and processing speed, converging together in games that look incredible and feel alive. This will be defined by worlds that are visually astounding and immediately immersive, with innovative leaps in CPU, GPU and storage technology to give you frictionless access to new stories and new creators constantly.

We’ve been using Xbox Series X in our internal Takehome program and are energized by the feedback we’ve been receiving. At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you, and I’m proud to be able to share details about some of the technologies we are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing more as we head towards E3.   

I'm not sure how much of this was already known. I feel like I already knew most of the details outlined in this post.Still, it's nice to get a confirmation that all games that play on Xbox One -- including Xbox 360 and O.G. Xbox titles -- will work on Series X, and that they will perform better out of the box without any work required from developers.

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more at E3. Hopefully, that will be when we get a lot more concrete details such as storage capacity, price, etc.

EDIT: Looking at the article again, this seems like a big deal:

Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re  playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

So basically, I can buy Halo: Infinite on Xbox One, and when I decide to upgrade to Series X, I'll automatically own that version without having to pay to upgrade to the better version. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I wonder if third-parties would ever agree to do this? I mean obviously, EA and Activision Blizzard will do this for all their games because they are so interested in what's in the best interests of gamers, but I can't even finish that sentence with a straight face.

I don't know about EA or Activision but CDPR is onboard...

Interpret "upgrade" as you see fit. Though I'm sure the internet will spin itself into a frenzy about possible X series patches when they could simply mean, Cyberpunk Xbox One version will work when installed on the X and benefit from the performance boost.

• Like 2

Also, I should mention that re-branding attempt not withstanding - we're basically talking about cross buy here. Which has been around for ages and its something that both Microsoft and Sony have done for quite some time (MS with their first party PC/Xbox titles and Sony on the PS3/Vita, etc.). It's good to see it continue into the next generation with cross generational titles which, granted is a new wrinkle to the services we've seen offered but I think consumers have become accustomed to seeing this kind of thing happen with, at the very minimum first party titles as platform holders try to get folks into their ecosystems..

• Like 1

Not terribly related, but am I the only soul who would pay for an aftermarket plug-in board/accessory to make Series X and PS5 completely backward-compatible with prior generations using a hardware-based solution? Assuming, of course, that such a thing is feasible. I would shell out decent money to be able to take the PS3 Phat and the Xbox 360 out of the rack...

29 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Really starting to think I could break my word and get one of these bad boys at Christmas at this rate.

Time to start saving. Can't imagine that spec is cheap. $500? 

8 minutes ago, dogbert said:

At a minimum, that's what I expect to spend.

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

I don't see either of these two consoles costing less, frankly. $499 is the new $399.

PS5 for launch and a Series X a few months later right now for me. Unless Microsoft gives me a compounding reason to jump early.

I do like the support for existing controllers. We've got a couple of customs + a bunch of normal xbox one controllers already, and moving them over to the new xbox will remove a bunch of ancillary costs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Unless Microsoft gives me a compounding reason to jump early.

Plus, if you’re already in possession of a decent gaming PC —which I suspect you are — I bet the urge to get a Series X at launch is diminished even more.

At this point, I’m leaning toward getting a Series X at the end of the year, with a PS5 sometime in 2021. Being in the Game Pass ecosystem definitely incentivizes me to stay with Microsoft. Sony could sway me though, with a Horizon Zero Dawn sequel at launch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dogbert said:

Probably (so £450 here most likely, perhaps even £475). I still think they could mitigate the pain of that entry point by bundling at least six months of Game Pass with the system but we’ll see.

It’s really likely to be something I buy on a mad whim if I am to buy it this year. I’d still sooner not dive in to another generation until I have 5.1 again though.

I’ll probably eat my words but I don’t agree that $499 is the new $399. I see the phone comparison all the time, but I don’t think that really applies here. That extra $30-40 people pay for their new phone each month has become so engrained in their bill, I’d argue the majority of people don’t even think about it. Consoles are just not looked at that way. I think $399 is still the magic price point for early mass adoption and $499 is for the enthusiast. I’m betting Sony still goes $399. 

This isn’t the days of the PS3 where i seem to remember rumors of them losing as much as $200 a console. Between PS plus subs, the increasing digital sale market, they might be inclined to take that loss at first if the cost is something they can get down pretty quick. But again, this is all based on a report that is not verified. I just hope they announce soon, though I’m thinking they wait until May. Definitely before E3. Maybe time it around the release of The Last of Us, show it running on PS5 with their own buy one, own it on both announcement.

PS5 for me this year. I’m too invested in their first party to change now, plus it’s where my kids are. I’ll admit, owning an X makes that an easier decision though. The X is still a pretty great machine in its own right and I’ll be perfectly content playing new stuff on there for now. 

* I reserve the right to completely change my mind without notice

21 minutes ago, Paul said:

I’ll probably eat my words but I don’t agree that $499 is the new $399. I see the phone comparison all the time, but I don’t think that really applies here. That extra $30-40 people pay for their new phone each month has become so engrained in their bill, I’d argue the majority of people don’t even think about it. Consoles are just not looked at that way. I think $399 is still the magic price point for early mass adoption and $499 is for the enthusiast. I’m betting Sony still goes $399. 

I'd love nothing more than to be wrong about that statement. Believe me. We'll see....

11 hours ago, JFo said:

At this point, I’m leaning toward getting a Series X at the end of the year, with a PS5 sometime in 2021. Being in the Game Pass ecosystem definitely incentivizes me to stay with Microsoft. Sony could sway me though, with a Horizon Zero Dawn sequel at launch.

Game Pass has really changed my playing habits. Series X has gone from a someday to day one purchase for me due to GP. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kelley said:

Game Pass has really changed my playing habits. Series X has gone from a someday to day one purchase for me due to GP. 

Same here actually-I don't think I've bought an Xbox game since I got that GamePass deal.  Given that it's cut my software spending almost completely in the back half of 2019 (and so far into 2020), the upgrade seems like a no brainer.  It'll probably top $700 all in here in Canada, but that's still cheaper than a new high end video card for the PC. 

• Like 1

Can someone give me the executive summary for how GamePass is different than PSPlus and also whether it makes sense for someone like me.

This is what I'm going to play this year:

• Ori (Definitely On PC at release)
  • Doom Eternal (Definitely On PC at release)
  • The Last of Us II (Definitely on PS4 at release)
  • Marvel's Avengers (? - if it is awesome I'll get it immediately, otherwise, backlog)
  • Halo Infinite (? - if it is awesome I'll get it immediately, otherwise, backlog)
  • Probably 2-3 backlog games, based on my mood, and based on sales like (Dead Cells, Monster World, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Sekiro, Shadow of Tomb Raider, Gears 5, Control)

That's a really good snapshot of what I will definitely be playing, and what I might be playing in the next year.

Does GamePass make sense for me? Does it all hinge on whether a high percentage of my backlog games are included with GamePass at some point. And if so, that's sort of speculative, what do you think?

If you are into the MS first party line up Game Pass makes complete sense.  If you like to play some older Bethesda games, Game Pass makes sense.  If you don't have to play a game on Day 1 and can wait a while for it to drop in price and maybe show up on Games Pass, then Game Pass makes sense.

Game Pass has a metric tonne of games, including Ori, rather than the 2 a month of PS Plus. But it also costs more than PS Plus. 

4 hours ago, kelley said:

This - For me too but, in my case GamePass has meant that a new XSX is even further back in the queue. Since I have a PC and the MS 1st party titles are almost all available there I just don’t need the XSX at launch; which is great, not a bad thing :)  They are really knocking it out for me as a PC player and although I’ve had some issues with the PC launcher/client I’m still really impressed and happy with MS in general - and with GP in particular.