LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Xbox Series X — Next Gen Console Coming Holiday 2020

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Sounds like after I'm done with Ori and Doom, I should give Gamepass another look.

It’s essential, yes. 

Main consideration with GamePass is whether or not you care about "owning" the games.  If you just want to play Ori, you can do that on gamepass.  Same with Halo, Gears, Forza, and anything else on the service.  If the game gets removed, you don't have it anymore.  You can probably go buy it again afterwards, and unless something delists it'll always be available, but the number of times I find I go back to games I've finished before these days is extremely low. 

Now, I only have gamepass because I was able to get 3 years for basically $100 (2 more years of gold plus the conversion), so when it goes to the 18 bucks a month, who knows.  I'll let you know in 2022. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I wish I knew the context of what looks like him getting a blow job in that GIF.

Close. The one and only Stacy Keibler

And then the meme without the Xbox related text was to show how Vince loves roided bodybuilder physiques. 

What has made Game Pass worthwhile for me are the games I didn't know I would download and play when I signed up for it. When I joined last summer, I knew I would get to play Gears 5 and Ori and the Will of the Wisps when they launched, which seemed like a good deal. I did not know that I would also get to play Untitled Goose Game and A Plague Tale: Innocence as well. I did not know that my kid would want to download LEGO WorldsTracks - The Train Set Game, or Farming Simulator '17 and play those as well.

I've always had a backlog of games to play, but now I have two of them -- one of games I own and a second of Game Pass titles I want to play. The challenge is finding the time for it all. I've been doing a pretty good job this winter working through  the games I own, but that Game Pass list is getting bigger and bigger every month.

Too many games!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Main consideration with GamePass is whether or not you care about "owning" the games.  If you just want to play Ori, you can do that on gamepass.  Same with Halo, Gears, Forza, and anything else on the service.  If the game gets removed, you don't have it anymore.  You can probably go buy it again afterwards, and unless something delists it'll always be available, but the number of times I find I go back to games I've finished before these days is extremely low. 

They raise a point in the Digital Foundry video that highlights one of the reasons I’ve abandoned collecting games physically, and that’s the unfortunate reality of not only DLC and expansions being so commonplace, but so many titles needing huge “day one” patches to run, and some shipping with only a fraction of the content on disc. I worry about this stuff from a preservation perspective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

They raise a point in the Digital Foundry video that highlights one of the reasons I’ve abandoned collecting games physically, and that’s the unfortunate reality of not only DLC and expansions being so commonplace, but so many titles needing huge “day one” patches to run, and some shipping with only a fraction of the content on disc. I worry about this stuff from a preservation perspective. 

A working version of the game (most day one patches aren’t required for the game to function) on my shelf is better than no version at all. Physical for life for me. The shittier stuff is the Spyro remasters of the world that require full downloads, etc. It’s also why I happily rebuy “Game of the Year” editions for bigger titles when they’re cheap as they tend to ship with most of the patches and DLC on the disc. RE7 Gold Edition is a great example.

Ironically as the market for digital games has matured, the more we have seen physical specific stores like Limited Run Games rise to prominence. Thank goodness for that, too.

21 minutes ago, Romier S said:

A working version of the game (most day one patches aren’t required for the game to function) on my shelf is better than no version at all. Physical for life for me. The shittier stuff is the Spyro remasters of the world that require full downloads, etc. It’s also why I happily rebuy “Game of the Year” editions for bigger titles when they’re cheap as they tend to ship with most of the patches and DLC on the disc. RE7 Gold Edition is a great example.

Ironically as the market for digital games has matured, the more we have seen physical specific stores like Limited Run Games rise to prominence. Thank goodness for that, too.

Spyro got re-issued, didn't it?

I decided to subscribe to gamepass on the PC right now. It is cheap, and lots of games there.

Too fucking bad the installer won't run on both of my computers. And I just built both computers very recently from scratch.  They are very clean machines.

image.png.7119eca636f0da6107eb879d35427b0b.png

Mother fucker.  Same issue on both computers. Not a good sign Microsoft.  Killing my buzz.

• WTF 1

30 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Spyro got re-issued, didn't it?

Yes with zero indicator on the packaging to tell which version. You have to look at the disc....

43 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Too fucking bad the installer won't run on both of my computers. And I just built both computers very recently from scratch.  They are very clean machines.

Is that trying to install via the Xbox Beta app?  You can also get at gamepass stuff via the store if you go into your purchase history if that helps.  Agreed that the install experience for store apps is ass though.  If it just worked, that'd be one thing, but it doesn't , so that's a problem.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

I decided to subscribe to gamepass on the PC right now. It is cheap, and lots of games there.

image.png.7119eca636f0da6107eb879d35427b0b.png

Mother fucker.  Same issue on both computers. Not a good sign Microsoft.  Killing my buzz.

After trying a million things, that did not work. I figured it out, no thanks to Microsoft. 

I figured out that  Microsoft has some bug in their code that is tripping up on some privacy setting or something like that.  So I cleaned house. 

• Deleted all family members
  • Deleted every device associated with my account (Xbox, Xbox 360s, PCs, everything)
  • Turned all privacy settings to ACCEPT or ALLOW
  • Turned off all security settings except two-step authentication.  I was going to try that next though.

After doing this, and making NO CHANGES on my PC whatsoever ...

It worked! Two PCs crashed the same way. After cleaning house in my Microsoft account, they both worked seamlessly.

I'm in!  And I just installed like 6 awesome games I'm excited to play.

Thanks guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

After trying a million things, that did not work. I figured it out, no thanks to Microsoft. 

I figured out that  Microsoft has some bug in their code that is tripping up on some privacy setting or something like that.  So I cleaned house. 

• Deleted all family members
  • Deleted every device associated with my account (Xbox, Xbox 360s, PCs, everything)
  • Turned all privacy settings to ACCEPT or ALLOW
  • Turned off all security settings except two-step authentication.  I was going to try that next though.

After doing this, and making NO CHANGES on my PC whatsoever ...

It worked! Two PCs crashed the same way. After cleaning house in my Microsoft account, they both worked seamlessly.

I'm in!  And I just installed like 6 awesome games I'm excited to play.

Thanks guys.

The Achilles heel of PC gaming. Sometimes shit just don’t work for no damn good reason. 

Dead Cells is pretty damn good.  If I hadn’t played and loved Dark Souls 3, I might not like this though.  I generally like my Metroidvania with less recursion.  But this might be an interesting medley of genres.

20 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Dead Cells is pretty damn good.  If I hadn’t played and loved Dark Souls 3, I might not like this though.  I generally like my Metroidvania with less recursion.  But this might be an interesting medley of genres.

Dead Cells isn't really a Metroidvania IMO, despite people calling it. It's not got the same loop. But it's a *damn* good action game. One of my favourites from the last few years. And I never got on with any Dark Souls. :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Dead Cells isn't really a Metroidvania IMO, despite people calling it. It's not got the same loop. But it's a *damn* good action game. One of my favourites from the last few years. And I never got on with any Dark Souls. :)

It's a good game that I've enjoyed playing but I can only do a few runs before I hate myself and turn it off.

• Haha 2

Damn this thing is a treasure trove.  Gears Tactics.  Halo Wars 2?  Wargroove?  Gears 5?  Forza 4?  I want to play all these games.  I can’t play all these during my one month trial, the same month Doom and Ori come out.  

• Like 1

Good Dead Cells Talk

8 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Damn this thing is a treasure trove.  Gears Tactics.  Halo Wars 2?  Wargroove?  Gears 5?  Forza 4?  I want to play all these games.  I can’t play all these during my one month trial, the same month Doom and Ori come out.  

Welcome to Game Pass :) Yakuza 0 + Kingdom Hearts 3, just got added ;)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dogbert said:

If it is a 2D platformer with a map that tells you where you've been and where you haven't been, then it is a god damn metroidvania you shit-stain.

I really like this game, but since I'm gonna be playing Ori soon, I think I should play one of those tactics games instead. I don't like double-dipping within genres in a short time-span.  And since both Ori and Dead Cells have maps that tell me where I've been and where I haven't been ...

On 2/25/2020 at 2:55 PM, Starhawk said:

Close. The one and only Stacy Keibler

I still hate you for getting to ride in a limo with her, you prick.  :lawl

• Like 2

Has anyone tried the Elite Controller Series 2 yet?  Is it worth the money?

I was able to get two years of Game Pass Ultimate using an MS employee discount.  Very nice!

4 hours ago, kelley said:

Has anyone tried the Elite Controller Series 2 yet?  Is it worth the money?

I don’t think I’ve even seen one in stores yet, let alone tried one. I was thinking about getting one for myself for my birthday in a couple months. It would be nice to have around for the Series X this Holiday. 

I was able to get two years of Game Pass Ultimate using an MS employee discount.  Very nice!

Very nice, indeed! I get a discount on an Office 365 subscription through work, but that’s way cooler.