LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

There really is no point in mentioning the One S any more. I saw one on sale this week in GAME - as there are no more offers around it is the exact same £249 that the Series S will be. It exists purely for people desperate to have an Xbox now, rather than wait under two months. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boom, in at amazon.  

It took three generations of Xbox but I finally cracked the 6 figure mark on my Gamerscore!    

Posted Images

9 hours ago, JFo said:

Things are changing, folks. We saw the decline of physical sales of games this past generation. I suspect they are going to fall off a cliff in the next gen. 

There's definitely been a gradual shift in recent years as is evidenced if you go back and look a financial reports from some of the big publishers, and obviously it's a shift that's been accelerated by events this year. I'm still fairly certain that this forthcoming generation will be the last for physical game media, at least for Microsoft and Sony. Their consoles are naturally moving further into the realm of the high end product.

I was surprised how naturally I made the shift over to downloading games. With the exception of a Last Guardian collector's edition I own no physical games on PS4, and that one was even something of an exception on release as I had already made the shift a year or so prior to upgrading the PS4 to the PS4 Pro. That came around the time I'd stepped back from buying most games new on release, instead opting to just wait on a lot of titles and take advantage of Sony's frequent and generous sales. I don't plan to approach the next-gen too differently as I'm always going to prioritise my disposable income for other things.

I certainly miss having a collection of games, but I simply haven't got the space to display or even store such purchases anymore. 

That dates back to what we posted a few days ago but got a little lost in the Series S news.

I really don't think anyone should be shocked if it's that much. Nor do I think we should be shocked if compatible drives for the PS5 cost similarly. Even best case I wouldn't have expected anything less than 150. Again it's a big reason why I think people should stop and think before going for the S over the X given the internal drive capacity differences (especially if it is indeed 220).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

That dates back to what we posted a few days ago but got a little lost in the Series S news.

I really don't think anyone should be shocked if it's that much. Nor do I think we should be shocked if compatible drives for the PS5 cost similarly. Even best case I wouldn't have expected anything less than 150. Again it's a big reason why I think people should stop and think before going for the S over the X given the internal drive capacity differences (especially if it is indeed 220).

If the performance of those expansion cards is worse, I would be annoyed. But damn these SSDs are such an important, cutting-edge part of this next-gen, it just makes sense they'd be very expensive. In 5 years if you can get this type of memory for the PC for dirt cheap, and Microsoft and Sony still sell for ridiculous prices, then the fuck yous will come.

44 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

If the performance of those expansion cards is worse, I would be annoyed. But damn these SSDs are such an important, cutting-edge part of this next-gen, it just makes sense they'd be very expensive. In 5 years if you can get this type of memory for the PC for dirt cheap, and Microsoft and Sony still sell for ridiculous prices, then the fuck yous will come.

Remember Microsoft are the only one offering expansion via way of a proprietary solution in partnership with Seagate. Sony on the other hand are leaving things open to any manufacturer of off the shelf PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives, just so long as they meet the required specifications for Sony's approval and certification.

I was re-watching Mark Cerny's tech talk over the weekend and he did caution that they might not have all the relevant information for compatible drives ready for launch as they expect to still be testing (and in fairness there may not be any drives on the market in Nov/Dec that are fast enough), but you're right, over time the cost of additional storage for PS5 expansion will drop. That's a win for Sony as it will be a larger customer base of both PC owners and PS5 owners buying them and helping to drive competition and costs down further.

Microsoft and Seagate have potentially boxed themselves (and consequently X and S owners) in with these tiny little custom cards because nobody else will be making them:

3644166-external.png

• Cheers 1
56 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Economies of scale. Small capacity SATA3 SSD drives used to cost $200+ dollars with 1TB drives being in the $600-800 range. We’re talking 256GB drives when SSD was first becoming a thing. You can get a 1TB M.2 (non PCIe 4.0) drive now for $100 or less with good performance. PCIe 4.0 is relatively newer and the speeds at which these new drives run at even more so. As demand grows and production increases, so will the price fall. 2 years from now you’ll be able to buy a standard 2TB M.2 drive for your PS5 for $100-120 dollars. The Series X expansion will likely be a bit costlier due to its proprietary nature but it shouldn’t lag too far behind that with a bit of a mark-up.

As @Angry the Clownnoted though, Microsoft being tied to Seagate could slow the pace of how quickly that price drops due to lack of any alternatives. $220 is actually not that bad of a mark up though. A good quality 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 drive costs in the $190-$200 range right now and Microsoft is likely getting a bit of a break on the manufacture cost thanks to any MOQ that Seagate requires. 

I was wondering why Microsoft even went the proprietary route. Historically such things have rarely gone down well in the gaming space (I suspect Sony learnt that lesson with those damn VITA memory cards). The only reason I could think of is that they wanted to be sure they could get a storage expansion solution out there from day one and to be absolutely sure the only available expansion would be 100% compatible and a 1:1 match for the speeds of the SSD inside the console itself (*edit* and take a cut of profits for each drive sold).

Whether third parties will get to manufacture compatible cards, and whether they would even want to manufacture cards to the required physical form factor to fit the expansion card slot, remains to be seen. I'd imagine it's a fairly long term contract that they have with Seagate so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Honestly, I think I’m more likely to upgrade my external HDD storage for my Series X before I buy the internal memory card. I currently have two external drives connected to my One X — a 1TB and a 2TB. Between the two of them and the 1TB internal drive, I have enough room to get by for the moment, but it’s tight. This is especially true thanks to a bunch of Game Pass titles that I haven’t started yet.

For the reported cost of the memory card, I could easily buy two 5TB hard drives and connect them to the back of the console. Then, it’s just a matter of shuffling games on and off the internal SSD as I play them.

I’ll be very curious to see how well an external SSD works for older Xbox games. We know that SSDs improve load times on the current machines, but the improvements aren’t as dramatic as you might expect — certainly nothing like we’ll get with the new SSDs inside the next gen consoles. It will be interesting to see if that improves at all on Series X/S and PS5. 

Alanah Pearce got her hands on an old issue of Official Xbox Magazine from November 2001, in which they list 70 reasons to own an original Xbox. It's pretty funny to hear the reasons listed nearly 20 years later, especially from the perspective of someone who was only 8 at the time.

"Rock solid controller." 😂

14 hours ago, PHiL said:

isn’t this going to be a shit show too? Why would these sites work fine when everyone knows the exact time to start refreshing the damn thing.

I’m sure people have bots all lined up too for this.

At least with the chaos in Sony’s camp you guys had a chance :)