LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

Series S has finally sold out on Amazon UK. 

Thought this reply from John @ Digital Foundry to someone on Twitter was interesting:

I mentioned this in one of the threads but MS have been seemingly putting in a lot of work enhancing everything from Xbox to XB1 titles even further without the need for developer intervention. It's going to be really interesting to see what they pull off with the Series X. I think it's going to leave some quite disappointed by the PS5's approach to backwards compatibility by comparison (though would be delighted for Sony to stop being so quiet on such matters and prove me wrong). 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took three generations of Xbox but I finally cracked the 6 figure mark on my Gamerscore!    

Boom, in at amazon.  

Posted Images

Sony are going to absolutely remain quiet on that as long as possible. Partly because it's fairly clear the answer is "the've done nowhere near as much as Microsoft" but also because they're trying to persuade people to spend £70 on Miles Morales if they want their already-purchased PS4 copy of Spider-Man to work any better than it did on their PS4 Slim.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, AlbertA said:

It seems like a good thing to get for my birthday next spring. I think my money would be better sent right now on an external hard drive so that I can store as many games as possible, even if they all can’t be loaded on the internal drive.

A Primer on the Simple and Custom Storage Options Available for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at Launch

A good FAQ with Jason Ronald on how the Xbox Series X/S work with internal and external storage devices along with the Seagate expansion card. I found this particular detail interesting:

Xbox Wire: Does Quick Resume work with the Storage Expansion Card?

Jason Ronald: Quick Resume is powered by the Xbox Velocity Architecture and game state data is persisted on the internal SSD so Quick Resume will work regardless of whether you are playing a game from the internal SSD, the Seagate Storage Expansion Card or an external USB 3.1 HDD or SSD drive.

I had assumed that quick resume would only work with the internal drive and the expansion card. It's a nice surprise to find out that the feature will work games running on external drives as well. 

Xbox Wire: Why does the 1TB Storage Expansion Card cost $219.99?

Jason Ronald: The Xbox Velocity Architecture is a key innovation of our next generation consoles, delivering unprecedented speed and performance enabling transformative gaming experiences never before possible on console. This level of consistent, sustained performance requires advanced components which comes at a higher cost than traditional hard drives or SSDs often found in PCs. By partnering with an industry leader in Seagate, we worked together to deliver an expandable storage solution which delivers identical performance at the lowest cost possible and available this holiday.

In other words, it's a high-end drive, and therefore, commands a high-end price.

I broke down and preordered one at Best Buy. I also threw in an Elite Series 2 controller for good measure. It should arrive on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Interesting 1
2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's certainly cute. Crazy to think that it's barely bigger than a PS1 memory card.

What's crazy is that we are practically back to a point where we use memory cards again, only now they hold the whole game(s).  

• Like 2

It's not overpriced for what it is. The difficulty I think is going to be  trying to get people to understand that, particularly Series S owners who might mistakenly find themselves in trouble thinking they can run next-gen titles off a USB drive.

In the short to medium term at least, I don't really feel there's a right or wrong way to have approached the expandable storage, whether it's Sony's off the shelf option, or Microsoft's proprietary one. Prices should, in theory, fall faster on off the shelf options over time, but then the proprietary route at least ensures a product with 100% compatibility and certification from day one (and no consumer gets left confused/uninformed about what's compatible or not). 

10 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

What's crazy is that we are practically back to a point where we use memory cards again, only now they hold the whole game(s).  

How many blocks are on the Seagate drive?

• Haha 1

Thought this was interesting:

You can also use USB 3.1 storage to store next generation games, optimized to take full advantage of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, for quick transfer and play on Series X|S.

I wonder if there's going to be any automatic management of storage-i.e. will you have to manually move things from external to internal, or will the xbox automatically shuffle things for you?  Probably manual to start with.

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

I wonder if there's going to be any automatic management of storage-i.e. will you have to manually move things from external to internal, or will the xbox automatically shuffle things for you?  Probably manual to start with.

That’s what I am wondering too. The FAQ didn’t answer the single question I really had about it too. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

I wonder if it's USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Back-of-the-napkin calculations:

Gen 1 is bottle-necked to around 500MB/s  - so a one way copy of a 100GB game would take around 3-4 minutes.

Gen 2 is twice as fast, so possibly 1.5-2 minutes (but it implies a faster SSD with a 1GB/s transfer rate).

I could imagine a "reserve some space" in the fast storage for shuffling games in, that could be a intermediate approach. But even if it's automatically managed, you will still do some waiting, not to mention, SSD prices for drives with around 500MB/s are still around $100-$120/TB

Barring any unforeseen financial commitments that arise in the next month, I do believe I’ll be keeping my Series X pre-order so I’m fully committed to having both at launch at this point. Hopefully “The Medium” will release at or shortly after launch. It’ll definitely get a playthrough via Game Pass (and a physical purchase if it’s worth a damn).

• Like 3