LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boom, in at amazon.  

It took three generations of Xbox but I finally cracked the 6 figure mark on my Gamerscore!    

Posted Images

Hobo-Jason Mamoa has a pretty good breakdown of the Series X with all of the embargoes having gone away. 

I don’t particularly agree with his general perspective on hardware bottlenecks and budgets but I digress. 

• Haha 2

Not to be outdone by today’s Sony’s State of Play introducing the UI for PS5, Microsoft has released the latest update for the Xbox interface. This is the same interface that will appear on the Xbox Series X|S next month. You can read about it here.

I played around with it a bit this afternoon. It’s not hugely different from what we had before, but it does have a slight aesthetic update, which I like. Also, it feels really snappy on Xbox One X. 

This Dutch website did some heat and fan noise tests using Red Red Redemption 2:

https://tweakers.net/reviews/8252/3/xbox-series-x-onze-eerste-indrukken-en-tests-meten-is-weten.html

After 15 minutes of gameplay the Series X was at 48°C while the XB1X was hitting 65°C. From a noise perspective, the Series X measured 2 decibels lower than the XB1X from the OS menus (24db against 27db), while in game the Series X was apparently measuring a whopping 13db lower than the XB1X (25db against 38db respectively!). 

Power usage saw the Series X commanding 28w in sleep mode, against the XB1X's 43w, while in the OS menus they were quite similar with the Series X at 50w against the XB1X's 52w. In game, the Series X was way ahead at 128w power draw against 180w on the XB1X. 

Obviously many of these numbers will vary from game to game (and we can surely expect next-gen titles to be more demanding). 

I expect we'll see DF Richard's heat and noise measurement video soon.

• Like 1
  • Interesting 1
7 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Neat bit of technology. I hope there's room beyond whatever agreement they currently have with Seagate to allow other companies to make branded and approved cards as well. That'd certainly help make prices competitive. I'd have to imagine any exclusivity with Seagate would be for at least a year though (and I've never read confirmation of there actually being an exclusive agreement between the two of them, but it doesn't seem unrealistic to assume that there probably is). 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Romier S said:

"The card has a plastic sheath that wraps around a metal chassis. And while the metal starts off looking attractive, it has a tendency to look somewhat greasy or lubricated."

Also:

Written by: Jeff Grubb

• Haha 2
34 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Neat bit of technology. I hope there's room beyond whatever agreement they currently have with Seagate to allow other companies to make branded and approved cards as well. That'd certainly help make prices competitive. I'd have to imagine any exclusivity with Seagate would be for at least a year though (and I've never read confirmation of there actually being an exclusive agreement between the two of them, but it doesn't seem unrealistic to assume that there probably is). 

Indeed. The markup for the proprietary shell/build is very real though. In the PS5 thread I had mentioned that M.2 drives aren't particularly cheap and I think this drive is a fairly priced given the plug and play functionality and where we are with SSD prices. However, keep in mind when comparing something like the new Western Digital 1TB drive that is supposedly compatible with the PS5 (at $229) to this drive? This drive has a max rate of 4gb/s. Drives that need to be compatible with the PS5 must exceed speeds of 7gb/s. They are both PCIe 4.0 drives but market trends being what they are, a slower drive should be cheaper and should drop in price faster as time goes on. I'm curious to see how much margin Microsoft is making on the drive and how much wiggle room they will have to cut price if we don't see any additional competition added to the expansion space for the X/S.

• Like 1

I am pretty excited to be getting a new console, and its not even for new titles. I have a bunch of old stuff I have been putting off to play again, and those quicker load times.

Xbox Gamepass ultimate $24.09 for 3 months at CDKeys

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/3-month-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-xbox-one-pc

I don't know how many you can stack, but this would come out cheaper than All Access right?

24 months = $192.72

Edit: Looks like the max amount of codes per transaction at CDKeys is 5. I tried buying 8 with 2 transactions. The codes for the first transactions were generated pretty much immediately. My second transaction is under review by CDKeys....

Final Edit: Both transactions when through.. so I have 8 codes. :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dan B. said:

Only downside is that these back catalogue titles that are optimized for Series X|S need to run on the SSD. Gonna fill up fast.

A cheap, SATA SSD with a SATA to USB converter will help. DF did a pretty nice video comparison of the different expanded storage options and you'll still see the fast loading gains with  that type of setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-Internal-SSD/dp/B08BPJBB3P/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=western+digital+ssd+sata&qid=1603236357&sr=8-17

BC titles go there. Series X titles sit on the main drive.

14 minutes ago, Romier S said:

A cheap, SATA SSD with a SATA to USB converter will help. DF did a pretty nice video comparison of the different expanded storage options and you'll still see the fast loading gains with  that type of setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-Internal-SSD/dp/B08BPJBB3P/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=western+digital+ssd+sata&qid=1603236357&sr=8-17

BC titles go there. Series X titles sit on the main drive.

It's my understanding that "Optimized for Series X|S" titles must be played from either the internal drive or the official Seagate expansion. That includes BC titles. 

But maybe I'm wrong? I would be happy if I am wrong, tbh.

54 minutes ago, Dan B. said:

It's my understanding that "Optimized for Series X|S" titles must be played from either the internal drive or the official Seagate expansion. That includes BC titles. 

But maybe I'm wrong? I would be happy if I am wrong, tbh.

You’re right on titles like Halo Collection which will need to sit on the internal drive or official expansion to take advantage of the velocity architecture API but you’re wrong on BC titles which will work the same on the internal/expansion or a high speed SATA SSD USB drive. For BC titles, they don’t use the velocity architecture. The SSD functions much like a PC SSD and your bandwidth limited by USB 3.1.

7 minutes ago, Dan B. said:

I wonder how that's going to work exactly. Will we have an option to play the "non-optimized" version of a back-compatible game on an HDD, for example?

Doubtful unless you’re turning off the ability for the game to grab updates and testing to see if the game runs in BC mode. An “Optimized” game is basically a Series X/S title. Not a backwards compatible game. Or you could install onto an external drive and see if you get errors? Not sure as no one has tested this.

A fun trick I saw on ResetERA if you preordered from Amazon...!

My Xbox Series X preorder has been saying "Order received" from word one, leaving me wondering if it'd actually be here at launch. Tonight, I clicked 'Change shipping speed', didn't actually change anything, clicked 'Confirm', and...voila!

ss.png