LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

16 hours ago, dogbert said:

The talk about "online services" + uptime was interesting as someone heavily involved with this side of things lately. When you're doing the job well, players don't notice. 

Yeah, you almost NEVER get credit for all the times you DON'T run over the dog while backing out of the driveway. Or you fuck one God damn alterboy ...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the house!

Phew. After a week of scrutinising every stock tracking site I could find, I finally have an order in for a Series X; being delivered on Saturday. 

Excellent news! I scored one for my kid last week too. It should be here today. Christmas saved. 

Posted Images

22 hours ago, dogbert said:

The talk about "online services" + uptime was interesting as someone heavily involved with this side of things lately. When you're doing the job well, players don't notice. 

Yep. I always tell our new guys, when they don’t know your name you’re doing your job right. 

From the tweet above:

Interesting trademark from Microsoft for an Xbox Series XS, maybe it's a Series X without a disc drive.

I know this is a bit of a joke, but I do wonder if Microsoft missed an opportunity not releasing a disc-less Series X model at a $399 price point. I know the Series S has a high value proposition, but I imagine there are a number of folks would would like all the power of the Series X at a lower price point like Sony has with the PS5 Digital Edition (which I love, by the way).

59 minutes ago, JFo said:

From the tweet above:

I know this is a bit of a joke, but I do wonder if Microsoft missed an opportunity not releasing a disc-less Series X model at a $399 price point. I know the Series S has a high value proposition, but I imagine there are a number of folks would would like all the power of the Series X at a lower price point like Sony has with the PS5 Digital Edition (which I love, by the way).

I'd agree. I may eat crow for saying this but I don't believe the Series S will be a long term device without some kind of refresh down the line. Especially as developers get more comfortable extracting the power of these next generation systems and the Series S struggles to keep up. I think a $399 Series X without a drive is an inevitability given the disc drive less PS5 at $399 like you said.

I've said as much in the past, but I suspect a digital Series X would suit me very well. While going for a PS5 with the optical drive absolutely proved to be the right decision for me, my approach to games on the Xbox would be very different since it would primarily serve as a Game Pass system 90% of the time (with anything else being a purchase in one of their generous sales). I always viewed the console as something of a PC substitute. 

It's quite possible that it's something they'd have ideally liked to have had at launch but opted to defer it so the full focus of part supplies and manufacturing could go into the S and optical Series X.

By the way this bit in the oral history of Xbox is great!

BOB MCBREEN (head of business development) The first company we reached out to buy was EA. They said, “No, thanks,” and then Nintendo.

BACHUS Steve made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired. They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.

MCBREEN We actually had Nintendo in our building in January 2000 to work through the details of a joint venture where we gave them all the technical specs of the Xbox. The pitch was their hardware stunk, and compared to Sony PlayStation, it did. So the idea was, “Listen, you’re much better at the game portions of it with Mario and all that stuff. Why don’t you let us take care of the hardware?” But it didn’t work out.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Microsoft is sending out surveys asking if folks want the DualSense features on the Series X/S controller...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-asks-xbox-owners-if-they-would-like-ps5-dualsense-features-on-series-x-s-controllers/amp/

..um YES!

Haptic feedback for sure! Speaker? Yeah I think it adds a nice touch for me, specially when it is part of the haptics experience. Touchscreen is ok but unnecessary for me - mic - I don't have any use for it.

I’ve been mostly playing games that don’t have haptic feedback the last few weeks. I played Astro’s Playroom again the other night and was almost surprised at how good it was. I had almost forgot. 

I would be surprised if Microsoft didn’t add it in. 

2 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Haptic feedback for sure! Speaker? Yeah I think it adds a nice touch for me, specially when is part of the haptics experience. Touchscreen is ok but unnecessary for me - mic - I don't have any use for it.

Haptics and adaptive trigger. Touchpad is whatever. It's fine but take it or leave it.

Also, MS wins on the D-Pad. The Series X D-Pad is one of the best ever. Second only to the Saturn 6-Button/Genesis 6 Button. I also absolutely love the textured triggers, too.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

I got one in the cart at walmart.com, only to have it yanked away during the pay-for-it process.   

<sad trombone>

Carlos. 

I don't think MS is getting enough of these out. Sony's production is way better.