LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the house!

Excellent news! I scored one for my kid last week too. It should be here today. Christmas saved. 

Phew. After a week of scrutinising every stock tracking site I could find, I finally have an order in for a Series X; being delivered on Saturday. 

Posted Images

I'm seeing more and more alerts for re-stock in the UK lately which is good news. I mentioned it in the PS5 thread but I'm aiming for a late summer/autumn purchase once I clear more from my PS4 backlog, and I'm building up reward points from every day shopping that will ultimately allow me to knock £200 off the price of the console so it'll be a win win for me if I wait it out for another six months (at which point stock should be plentiful anyway). 

Big Fuck YEAH to Microsoft for finally figuring out how to shed the big power brick.  The use of the dime-a-dozen power cord is going to make this unit portable around my house. 1080P on the media room PJ, 4K in my downstairs room. 

Downloading my brains out right now.  I'll probably wait until the weekend to give it a decent spin.

Carlos.

2 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Big Fuck YEAH to Microsoft for finally figuring out how to shed the big power brick.  The use of the dime-a-dozen power cord is going to make this unit portable around my house. 1080P on the media room PJ, 4K in my downstairs room. 

Downloading my brains out right now.  I'll probably wait until the weekend to give it a decent spin.

Carlos.

They figured it out on the one X BTW

So, my Series X is suddenly having some storage issues. It doesn't seem to be able to write anything to the external ssd, even though it can read what's there. I get an “installation stopped” message whenever I try to move anything to the drive or install something there. And, installed games have just gone missing from my games list. So far, it doesn’t seem catastrophic — games are still attached to my account (or available on disc) even if they are not showing as installed, but still, very frustrating. A hard reset did not fix the problem.

3 hours ago, Brandon H said:

So, my Series X is suddenly having some storage issues. It doesn't seem to be able to write anything to the external ssd, even though it can read what's there. I get an “installation stopped” message whenever I try to move anything to the drive or install something there. And, installed games have just gone missing from my games list. So far, it doesn’t seem catastrophic — games are still attached to my account (or available on disc) even if they are not showing as installed, but still, very frustrating. A hard reset did not fix the problem.

This is the Seagate external “official” drive? I’ve found that if it’s not seated properly, it acts goofy as shit. I installed a few games into it, rebooted the system and it said it couldn’t find those games. I had to reseat the drive and it’s worked fine since. Not sure if you’ve tried that.

Unfortunately, it’s an external SSD attached via USB 3.1 using a Sabrent adapter. 

I am thinking this is an OS issue. It seems like the games that disappeared are games that I had installed off physical media. I’m going to pop one of those games in the drive and see what happens...

The whole OS needs better storage management. Why can’t I select the “official” Seagate expansion drive as the default installation spot for all Series X games? Instead, it forces me to install to the interval drive and then move it. (Yes, I can select the Seagate drive as the default installation spot for EVERYTHING, but then I waste valuable storage space on the ultrafast drives for One/360 games. So convoluted.)

3 hours ago, Brandon H said:

Unfortunately, it’s an external SSD attached via USB 3.1 using a Sabrent adapter. 

I am thinking this is an OS issue. It seems like the games that disappeared are games that I had installed off physical media. I’m going to pop one of those games in the drive and see what happens...

The whole OS needs better storage management. Why can’t I select the “official” Seagate expansion drive as the default installation spot for all Series X games? Instead, it forces me to install to the interval drive and then move it. (Yes, I can select the Seagate drive as the default installation spot for EVERYTHING, but then I waste valuable storage space on the ultrafast drives for One/360 games. So convoluted.)

You get this on both consoles. I love the PS5 option to “install all PS4 games to external storage” and wish the X had similar options for 360/OG Xbox titles while the PS5 lacks the ability to move PS5 games to cold storage on an external drive. 

Simple UI shit like this shouldn’t be this hard for either of these companies.

Useful video:

Xbox seemingly lacks 24fps support for media playback, though you will rarely see discs encoded at a straight 24 (as noted in the video, it's primarily something Studio Canal here in Europe do more than any other distributor, but if you're overseas and you import any of their discs then it's worth taking note of).

The Apple TV box lacks 24fps support as well and it's really irritating as I have some stuff in my library that's clearly 24fps and not 23.98 and consequently triggers frame dropping (curiously one such title for me is a Warner/New Line purchase on iTunes).

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Useful video:

Xbox seemingly lacks 24fps support for media playback, though you will rarely see discs encoded at a straight 24 (as noted in the video, it's primarily something Studio Canal here in Europe do more than any other distributor, but if you're overseas and you import any of their discs then it's worth taking note of).

The Apple TV box lacks 24fps support as well and it's really irritating as I have some stuff in my library that's clearly 24fps and not 23.98 and consequently triggers frame dropping (curiously one such title for me is a Warner/New Line purchase on iTunes).

The next OS release for AppleTV adds 24fps.