LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

I have both the Sony headset and the Xbox headset and I'm shocked at the reviews who have said the Xbox one sounds better with game audio. I was playing Destiny 2 last night and couldn't help but find the audio lacking on the Xbox headset. I even did a P:X comparison and played some Destiny 2 on the PS5 with the Sony headset and thought it sounded better, almost like the PS5 headset had more headroom whereas the Xbox one seemed to max out way sooner.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the house!

I was told to expect a mid-March delivery but Gamestop up and did this today, just 2 days after placing the order...  

Excellent news! I scored one for my kid last week too. It should be here today. Christmas saved. 

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Paul said:

It’s always been like that on every Xbox console I’ve used headphones with unless there is an option I’m missing? It just always seemed strange to me. But a minor inconvenience at worst.

I don’t think you’re missing anything. MS’s support site even says you just have to turn the volume down on the TV.

That seems a strange decision to me also. 

1 hour ago, kelley said:

I have both the Sony headset and the Xbox headset and I'm shocked at the reviews who have said the Xbox one sounds better with game audio. I was playing Destiny 2 last night and couldn't help but find the audio lacking on the Xbox headset. I even did a P:X comparison and played some Destiny 2 on the PS5 with the Sony headset and thought it sounded better, almost like the PS5 headset had more headroom whereas the Xbox one seemed to max out way sooner.

I haven’t opened mine yet, as a lot of people echoing what you are saying. I have the Sony one but wanted to do wireless on the Xbox also. Thought this would be a good alternative. Beginning to think I might just be better off using the Sony wired instead.

Have you tried adjusting the EQ settings? Though limited, people are saying it helped.

43 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I don’t think you’re missing anything. MS’s support site even says you just have to turn the volume down on the TV.

That seems a strange decision to me also. 

Yeah. I hooked my Switch back up for the first time in a year the other day, and going thru the settings, I noticed even they have an option to turn off the other audio source when using a headset. 

7 hours ago, Paul said:

I haven’t opened mine yet, as a lot of people echoing what you are saying. I have the Sony one but wanted to do wireless on the Xbox also. Thought this would be a good alternative. Beginning to think I might just be better off using the Sony wired instead.

I did like the comment in this writeup: https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/248256/first-impressions-xbox-wireless-headset

It’s really important to keep in mind that this is a $99 headset, and not $199 or even $299, because the short version of this post is that for the price, this is a great headset with lots of features and good audio. But it is not a great headset with great audio – and there is a difference.

Sounds like it's a decent headset, but not going to beat my Jabra Evolve, even if I do have to wire that one to the controller (Yeah, I get low latency controller connections, but dammit at least put in BT for audio...)

1 hour ago, kelley said:

Xbox Live is now called Xbox network.

That’s like renaming “Air Jordan” sneakers to “Athletic Sneakers” - not exactly, but it seems backwards. Generally you try to make your brand unique and distinct from your competitors, not take something unique and make it sound more like your competitors. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anything known about the proportion of S to X sales? It would be interesting to see. It's a shame that the fact MS are having to produce two consoles is surely having an heavier affect on system availability than it otherwise might have had they only been producing the Series X, but it'd be nice to at least know if the S is meeting their expectations. 

A challenge I face in getting my Series X is that I've basically accumulated enough points with my grocery shopping to take £200 off the price, but it means I am limited to only being able to purchase the system from one specific retailer here (although I believe I can also convert my points fo eBay credit so that might expand my options). It's still going to be late summer before I start actively trying to get one though. 

42 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Hmmm. Do they have enough staff to do two big projects at once? They've already said that the James Bond game alone will likely see them double their numbers from 200 to 400. 

They have three teams if memory serves. May start development lite and stagger resources based on release dates. Also, file it under rumor for now.

Has anyone else run into a strange bug on the Series X where bits of games will be running too quickly?  I noticed it in Prey, mostly with the background pulse effect on some of the menu options, but it's much more obvious in Star Wars Squadrons.  If I resume in the hangar, all of the background characters seem to be moving at roughly double speed.  At first I thought it was specific to the FPS boost in Prey, but Squadrons doesn't list that feature, so it might be something else.  Quitting/restarting the game fixes it, but it seems there's something strange going on with game resume (not even the multi-game quick resume, but the standard suspend/resume for a single game).  Maybe 30% of the time I'll also get a game resuming with no audio, but with Prey I noticed that if I dropped back to the dash and went back into the game after a minute or so, it seemed to come back.  Not sure whether this is something that hadn't been loaded properly on resume or something, but it's kind of strange. 

Well I'm on the hunt for another Xbox Series X :)

I just sold both my Xbox One X's for quite a fair price (Scorpion edition for $345, regular edition $310) along with the PS4 Pro ($322). Man the thirst for consoles is real - I never thought they would fetch this much actually.

12 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Well I'm on the hunt for another Xbox Series X :)

I just sold both my Xbox One X's for quite a fair price (Scorpion edition for $345, regular edition $310) along with the PS4 Pro ($322). Man the thirst for consoles is real - I never thought they would fetch this much actually.

Yeah it's crazy how much old tech gear is going for.