LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

JFo

I wonder how much MS will be forced to adopt a similarly pessimistic view to Sony when it comes to expectations for hardware supplies throughout the rest of the year. I really do think they'd be wise to reduce S production in favour of getting more X's off of the production lines if at all possible. The S is readily available here now.  

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I wonder how much MS will be forced to adopt a similarly pessimistic view to Sony when it comes to expectations for hardware supplies throughout the rest of the year. I really do think they'd be wise to reduce S production in favour of getting more X's off of the production lines if at all possible. The S is readily available here now.  

Microsoft stated their supply situation would remain status quo into 2022 before Sony did if memory serves. Microsoft started production of the Series consoles much later than Sony did. Its going to be slim pickings for both for quite awhile and it’s likely to be a tad bit uglier on the Xbox side as it has been since launch.

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. I'm ready to go funds wise, and even though I want to get more from my PlayStation backlog out of the way I'm going to start keeping an eye on acquiring an X and just grab one as soon as I can now, even if it just sits boxed in a corner while I clear Last of Us 2 and Tsushima (still waiting on a good price for those). Again, I am making things even more difficult for myself by virtue of the fact I ideally want to pay half of the SeriesX off with a rewards card that I can really only use via one major retailer here, but if push came to shove and I am still waiting in six months time then I'll consider just throwing down the cash with whoever I can get one from (at retail price, obviously. Scalpers can fuck off).

52 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. I'm ready to go funds wise, and even though I want to get more from my PlayStation backlog out of the way I'm going to start keeping an eye on acquiring an X and just grab one as soon as I can now, even if it just sits boxed in a corner while I clear Last of Us 2 and Tsushima (still waiting on a good price for those). Again, I am making things even more difficult for myself by virtue of the fact I ideally want to pay half of the SeriesX off with a rewards card that I can really only use via one major retailer here, but if push came to shove and I am still waiting in six months time then I'll consider just throwing down the cash with whoever I can get one from (at retail price, obviously. Scalpers can fuck off).

Yeah, its mainly why I wanted to get both out of the way while I could. My game time is split 70/20/10 between PS5, Series X and Switch at the moment but its nice to just have it and not having to worry about the hunt. It allows me to dip the toe into Game Pass titles that interest me in between the other stuff I'm already playing on PS5 or plan to in the near future (Returnal, Village, Rift Apart, etc.) and while Microsoft spins up their first party lineup.

Just now, Romier S said:

Its mainly why I wanted to get both out of the way while I could. My game time is split 70/20/10 between PS5, Series X and Switch at the moment but its nice to just have it and not having to worry about the hunt. It allows me to dip the toe into Game Pass titles that interest in between the other stuff I'm already playing on PS5 or plan to in the near future (Returnal, Village, Rift Apart, etc.).

I'm starting to wish I'd done the same in some respects, but I know I'd have felt overwhelmed trying to divide my time between the two so soon.

I expect the Series X to steal the bulk of my gaming attention once I have one as, gaming cheapskate that I am, Game Pass will always have something for me and I'm really struggling with the £70 pricing on the PS5 exclusives. I just need to find a balance which is why I want to get those two big remaining PS4 games out of the way as soon as I can. I feel like Last of Us 2 is due a sub £20 price again physically soon. Tsushima is taking its sweet time to drop below £40. I've also remembered that I need to get round to FFVII Remake at some stage too. 

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm starting to wish I'd done the same in some respects, but I know I'd have felt overwhelmed trying to divide my time between the two so soon.

I expect the Series X to steal the bulk of my gaming attention once I have one as, gaming cheapskate that I am, Game Pass will always have something for me and I'm really struggling with the £70 pricing on the PS5 exclusives. I just need to find a balance which is why I want to get those two big remaining PS4 games out of the way as soon as I can. I feel like Last of Us 2 is due a sub £20 price again physically soon. Tsushima is taking its sweet time to drop below £40. I've also remembered that I need to get round to FFVII Remake at some stage too. 

I'm guessing we'll see a PS5 enhanced TLOU2 getting bundled with the TLOU Remake and its revealed around E3 alongside the Factions multiplayer and its released later this year.  I'd probably get Tsushima sooner as that's already running at 60fps on the PS5 as it is.

I just don't use Game Pass that way you guys do. It's a great value and I'm a super happy subscriber when I get to dive into a game like Cyber Shadow but all it does it make me wish an actual physical release existed. Something I would prefer to spend my money on. I suppose that works in Microsoft's favor as I'm the perfect Game Pass subscriber. I try and then buy if I like it and play it from there so the developers get the lump sum and the sale! It hasn't helped me save any money in that regard is my point.

....and yeah $70+ prices aren't great but as long as Sony keeps making the games that I can't stop playing, I'll pay it. Full stop. I'm happily part of the problem there. I more than got my moneys worth with Returnal.:D

I should add that I expected a vast majority of my third party purchases to be on the Series X. However, things haven't played out that way. The performance differential between the two machines is marginal right now which is about what I expected (I said 10% in the past, in fact) and stuff like DualSense support and other factors have made deciding which platform to buy a game on a much more difficult decision than the One X vs Pro days where it was a no brainer to grab stuff on the One X. We'll see if the difference in power starts to show itself more as we get deeper into purely "next generation" titles but yeah...

3 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm guessing we'll see a PS5 enhanced TLOU2 getting bundled with the TLOU Remake and its revealed around E3 alongside the Factions multiplayer and its released later this year.  I'd probably get Tsushima sooner as that's already running at 60fps on the PS5 as it is.

I agree that a PS5 TLOU2 seems inevitable, but it'll be more expensive and I'll be happy enough playing it in PS4 Pro mode I'm sure. I'd have grabbed it in the PSN sale recently, but I didn't want to be stuck with a PS4 copy in my digital library knowing it will be remastered eventually. Better to grab the existing physical edition on the cheap, sell it on and acquire the PS5 version whenever I next feel like revisiting the games.

3 minutes ago, Romier S said:

....and yeah $70+ prices aren't great but as long as Sony keeps making the games that I can't stop playing, I'll pay them. Full stop. I'm happily part of the problem there.

Definitely. Their games are why I have the PS5, but Ratchet's still going to have to wait a while I'm afraid. :) Thank goodness for Village only costing me £44.  

Xbox is my Gamepass machine. I happen to have $35 in credit so I may buy Mass Effect, but that’s it. I don’t see myself buying any games on my Series X. That I will save for the PS5, the one exception being if the game is a noticeable improvement on Xbox. 

I also like to think of it as my BC console but I find myself playing very little BC titles. I love the idea of them being there, but there is always something new to play and my time is limited. 

7 hours ago, kelley said:

so @dogbert how was the first weekend with the X?

I was going to post impressions today, but got super busy. 

It's odd. I'm thoroughly happy with it so far. I have the Xbox One X still plugged in on another HDMI port + did before/after comparisons on Destiny 2 in particular - the frame rate improvement is so good, I couldn't go back, and the HDR in it is really pops + enhances the look of it all... FH4 is super smooth + fast, but I've always gone for performance over visuals in it... Halo CE at super high smooth framerate? Wow. Yakuza Like A Dragon's definitely "nicer looking", but it's the framerate + loading differences that are a real game changer for it... I've got a few more to download/try. 

I had moved over Xbox One games via an external HD to save a bunch of download, but the upgrade path to XS versions was fiddlier than I expected. It didn't automatically recognise I needed upgrades, I had to launch each game... But anything I download is the right version. 

Quick Resume is super useful, though a number of my "in rotation" titles are online games like Destiny/Gems of War (don't judge...). Haven't really explored the fps boost titles yet, wish there was an easy way to spot them in my library... 

But so far, so good. It needs those next gen exclusives to make it really shine, clearly.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I've been charged and have a pickup number...etc for Sunday and even details of what service desk to go to for collection, so fingers crossed. It was a strange stroke of luck that I was able to get one as I woke a little earlier than usual today just before 5, and I can't help but think I could have fallen victim to a bug in the website system having followed some specific instructions on Twitter to get one added to my cart (and then refreshing several times until local availability showed up). :) The fact not all of my nearest branches were showing stock available for the weekend, and that the few that did very specifically gave Sunday as the earliest availability date, leaves me hoping that I did indeed secure one however.

If getting one has indeed proven to be that hassle free I'll be delighted, and with it being my Birthday on Friday it'd certainly make for a nice cap to the weekend. 

Cashing in my reward points brought the price down to £260 (which is a steal since that's a mere £20 more than the S retails for here). That's honestly the only way I could justify getting the Series X so soon after the PS5. I'm now having a mild panic attack browsing all the games of interest that are currently on Game Pass though.