LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

JFo

36 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Interestingly the system had actually remembered both my Group naming and the games I'd put into each group from back when I briefly had the 1X. That's nice.

It is, unless you own multiple consoles. Make a change on one and it takes on the other despite my wanting two different lists on the One X vs the Series X. There has to be a way to unlink them but since I haven't touched my One X in a quite awhile, I sort of stopped caring about it enough to bother looking.:D

24 minutes ago, Romier S said:

There has to be a way to unlink them but since I haven't touched my One X in a quite awhile, I sort of stopped caring about it enough to bother looking.:D

I managed to unlink my old consoles in some respects, but my OG XB1 that I gave away still shows up when I'm installing games over the web.  And whoever has it now (it's passed through a couple of relatives to...I don't even know) renamed it "YEEZY", so I'm stuck looking at that every once in a while.  😛

Definitely going to be an all-nighter (and beyond) to download the first glut of games I want to install. :) Forza's taking an age. I've got that, Ace Combat 7, Fifa 21, The Medium, Genesis Noir, MLB The Show, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Dragon Quest XI and Tetris Effect all in the queue.

Game Pass:

indulge homer simpson GIF

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Might well be the best d-pad packaged with a console that I've used since the Saturn

You must have gotten the good Saturn controller where you are. 

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

So yeah, first game I fired up was 1989 Ducktales.

That’s embarrassing. 

Actually, I love how we buy these new super powerful machines, and then proceed to play games from the 80s on them.

I deleted a phantom console I no longer used from my account and f’ed up my entire account. It would not recognize my son’s Series X as our home console and required a very long call with Microsoft, followed by a factory reset of MY Series X, to fix. Was a nightmare.

46 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I’ve been dealing with getting my 360 licenses switched to a new 360 recently. That is a complete cluster. 

Better than early days of 360?  I remember getting a busted console replaced and the MS solution being "here are 4500 points worth of cards to re-buy the stuff you lost because we couldn't transfer it".  Thankfully, I haven't had any major issues with the DRM here (yet) other than concurrency ones, and I've got my account active on 2 Xbox Ones and an XSX.  

The download speed sped up overnight, though there's still a few things in the queue this morning. @iainl mentioned that one of their big servers was down so that would certainly explain the initial pace as now I'm getting 120Mb+. 

I'll be interested to see how much storage I will have filled once I've got this initial batch installed.  It's looking like I might only be close to around 50% full by the time I've got all thirteen or so of the ones I selected fully installed.

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

That’s embarrassing. 

Actually, I love how we buy these new super powerful machines, and then proceed to play games from the 80s on them.

It was practically an instantaneous download given the size of the Disney Afternoon collection, and and easy test for the d-pad. :) Killer Instinct didn't take long though and the d-pad really felt especially great there. I'm not good at fighters at all really (though surprisingly capable with Virtua Fighter), however I do still enjoy playing them so it's good to have an out of box controller with a good d-pad as I'm not invested enough in the genre to justify a fighting stick these days. It'd be nice if Mortal Kombat 11 makes it to Game Pass.

The UI is oddly bland, isn't it? I don't hate it. It's functional, especially now that I've customised only having my game groups, XBL Gold and Game Pass on the home page, but visually it all looks rather beta. I also don't like the big grey slab that appears across the screen every now and again when it notifies you of synching data. I do very much like the latest version of the achievement twinkle sound though.

My queue of download finished so naturally I went and grabbed some more. :) Ace Combat 7, Alien Isolation, Disney Afternoon, Dragon Quest XI, Fifa 21,  Forza Horizon 4, Genesis Noir, Killer Instinct, The Medium, MLB The Show, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Planet Coaster, Sensible Soccer, Bomberman R and Tetris Effect have taken up 50% of my available storage which for fifteen games is actually quite good I think (and only a few will stay in permanent rotation).

It's very nice to be back in Forza Horizon-land again, especially at 60fps. 

32 minutes ago, kelley said:

I hope there’s a team at MS working on a completely new UI, one that simplifies things.

I'm actually OK with the UI as it is-it's easy enough to get in and out of games, and to download stuff, and that's 95% of what I'm doing on an Xbox.  I do kind of miss the "twist" UI that let you scale both horizontally and vertically, but I thought this was the simplification? 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

I also don't like the big grey slab that appears across the screen every now and again when it notifies you of synching data

If it's any consolation, you probably won't see that much if you're not using multiple systems.  First time you launch something when it downloads the cloud saves, maybe, but for the most part it's been in the background.  So far, the cloud save stuff and syncing between PC and three consoles has been pretty seamless (although I'm only using one console 95% of the time). 

The current UI design is fine but I agree it’s relatively bland. Still, I like the ability to group my games and customize them as I see fit and like Iain said, it stays out of the way pretty well now. As opposed to the first few years of the Xbox Ones life where the UI was just a jumbled mess to the point where you neeed to take a damned tutorial just find basic shit.

I'm absolutely okay with the blandness at this point - it largely gets out of the way. Pins + Groups work really well, and the presentation of the library is getting better + better for options + focus of search.

Auto HDR in Ace Combat 7 works really well, especially when you get up into the clouds and the sun's breaking through to warm up the cockpit as it freezes over. It makes a lot of those details sparkle pleasantly. I'm enjoying the game a lot. MS really are doing great work with Auto HDR and FPS Boost (I've yet to try anything with the latter, though Alien Isolation is installed. I'm looking forward to replaying that).

On 5/13/2021 at 7:33 PM, ChrisBardon said:

Better than early days of 360?  I remember getting a busted console replaced and the MS solution being "here are 4500 points worth of cards to re-buy the stuff you lost because we couldn't transfer it". 

Only slightly. You have to find a nearly hidden page on their website to select your new console as primary. You then have to “redownload” the content again to transfer the license. The interface to do that is horrible and you need to DL everything one at a time. When the primary thing I’m wanting to transfer is 100s of Rock Band songs, it takes a LONG time. 

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

Only slightly. You have to find a nearly hidden page on their website to select your new console as primary. You then have to “redownload” the content again to transfer the license. The interface to do that is horrible and you need to DL everything one at a time. When the primary thing I’m wanting to transfer is 100s of Rock Band songs, it takes a LONG time. 

OK, that sucks.  That reminds me-I haven't pulled out Rock Band in a while.  Wonder if the kids would be interested?

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t say it’s happened to me but for those that may have the issue...

https://www.techspot.com/news/88834-microsoft-acknowledges-unresponsiveness-problem-new-xbox-controllers-working.html

In brief: We've heard a lot about the PlayStation 5 DualSense drift issues recently, but it seems Sony isn't the only company with problematic controllers. While not drifting, Microsoft's new Xbox Wireless Controller is failing to register button presses for some people, a problem that's present on both the Xbox consoles and PC. The Redmond firm has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix.

• 2 weeks later...